1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else blow up their closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mandarof, Dec 15, 2010.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm at a crossroad. The top priority people are fully aware. All that is left are the medium- and low-priority people in my life. Has anyone else sent out a mass email or Facebook message? I'm talking about sending it to 25 - 50 people. If anyone else has, what was your general response? Consider Facebook: did people post on your wall? Did they hit reply all? Would I be better off sending this one by one so there is no Reply All?

Any thoughts welcome! Thinking of just telling family in this round.

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2010 at 11:11 PM ----------

What about the "yea, we knew" responses? Those are tough for me to handle. Of course once I'm out, they're a lot easier. I'm shocked how little people suspected me. I guess I'm fortunate that I can really play the straight card if I want. My mom asked that I stay how I am and not act more gay, lol. I said, well, I will probably get a little more gay acting but I still like who I am as a person and am comfortable with how I act/behave/etc. Besides, there is a call for more straight acting gay guys and I'm here to be chosen from the pack! lol

2. RealityCheck

Go for it scooter. You've come this far and you are going to be wound up with anxiety until you do, so I just say send it out!

3. Beachboi92

i just changed my interested status and liked about 50 gay related pages xD but i came out to my close friends a family in person first. After that i just assumed everybody knew and talked about guys like i would if i was with gay people or girls and people got the hint xD

I blew of my closet door with this method i went from 0-100% out in under a month maybe even less than 2 weeks.

4. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I'll further describe is as nuking my closet. I love this, great responses everyone! I'm going to give it at least part of a day to think about it and talk to my loving support friends/family for a few more perspectives but it does sound like it's time.

My message is, of course, very explanatory and 5 nice paragraphs in length. I'm discussing it with those closest to me right now.

5. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I consider my coming out process to be an exploding closet. I told all my top priorities within a month, and most of those were in chunks. For instance I told my whole fraternity at once, I sent all my friends from home letters at the same time, and I told both sets of parents on the same day. That night I changed my facebook interested in, and posted something about being really relieved. However, facebook didn't yield very much. The only person who ever contacted me about it was an aunt of mine. Doing an actual status update could get you a lot wider response. However, I don't know if it's the case for you, but among my friends we break into eachothers' facebooks all the time and post random crazy statuses. A really serious sounding coming out message has been one of those statuses, but people just blew it off because they knew that nothing really serious ever was shared through blanket facebook statements. As for the 'yeah, i know' statements - I got a few of those. Two of my brothers in my fraternity knew without having to be told, an ex-girlfriend of mine worked it out on her own, and one of my closest friends from home let me know that he had always thought of me that way. I got used to it, and at first I was surprised, but know I just think of it as being that those people are the ones who actually have their eyes open and take the time to observe people.

6. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I blown mine apart several months ago.

7. xequar

I went from completely closeted to completely out within a week. When I decided to do it, I did it and that was it. I told my friends in person, I sent an email to a bunch of my friends I couldn't talk to in person. I called a few of them and talked to them directly. I changed my Facebook to interested in men. I told my parents. I told my coworkers.

And that was it. From then on, I was out, and it's the best thing I ever did!

8. Lebowski45

I guess there's no right or wrong way to go about telling people, its purely how you feel. Do you want everyone to know? If so, then go for it. I took a different viewpoint when coming out however, I'm still pretty sure that not everyone knows and I'm comfortable with that. I told my immediate family and all of my close friends, but I decided that - because I don't think I need to declare my sexuality - I wouldn't bother with the "medium and low" people in my life. At work, a lot of people are still unaware, and people I know at college don't know either. Its not to say that I still keep myself closeted, I just see it as irrelevant to any friendship I have with other people. I'm completely happy for people to find out through other people (some have in fact) and if the subject ever came up I wouldn't deny it or anything, I'm not ashamed to tell people. I just don't bring it up, it doesn't define me or anything.

But thats just me. I only told the people I wanted to know, everyone else I don't really care if they know or not. If you do care, and you want to tell these people then go for it. Its not the only way you can go about it though. Word of mouth is a powerful tool for getting the news out, you could always ask a few friends to subtly spread the message and soon enough it will be common knowledge, because humans are generally very gossipy :lol: But if you want to tell them yourself then the letter thing is probably good. A little advice though, I wouldn't make it sound too over the top or dramatic or anything, people will probably respond best if you don't make it into much of a big deal. I'd say keep it brief and not too cheesy :lol:

9. EM68

Mine is blown up...gone. I'm out to everyone, family, friends and work. I even put my relationship with my bf on Facebook. I got about 15 likes and 10 comments. All positive. :slight_smile:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't. But seeing as how I came out in 1992, that would've been rather difficult. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. maverick

I didn't really "blow up my closet", but I did tell everyone I'm out to pretty much within two weeks, including my supervisor at work. But I'm out to anyone who would bother asking, so...*shrug*

I'm sure most people assume I'm some form of gay or another anyway, being a biological woman in men's clothing and all.

12. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will be roughly two weeks when all is said and done. It is going so well. I haven't had a single negative comment yet. I keep spreading the news one by one through my great aunt. I'm getting close to a mass email. I guess if I chip away at a few more people, then I feel a little less weird about sending such a big message because I have more of a FORCE behind me as it grows.

13. Beertruck

I've told most people that need to be told within a month. The only people left out are my brothers but that's because they were away at school and some college friends I haven't seen in a while.

My current job runs these open mic things, I was considering using the opportunity to tell a coming-out related story there. Maybe before I leave...

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was lucky had a lot of gossip people in one room and asked that they use their powers for good for once, I told them to sing from the highest mountain top and deepest ocean the I was gay, and it worked