1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe coming out to my mum over xmas???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NordicSpirit, Dec 16, 2010.

1. NordicSpirit

Hiya guys

I really need some advice on this one. I really want to come out to my mum. I have ordered Betty Degeneres's book Love, Ellen from amazon. Its about her struggle to come to terms with her daughter being a lesbian. I was thinking about giving it to my mum for Christmas.

The thing is I have no idea how she will react, although Im guessing it could go well. I dont want to ruin Christmas but I really need to tell her. And this seems like a good way to do it. Also, she is a gossip. She will tell everyone. And I dont mind that but im not out to my dad and I dont want him to hear it from somone else. I get on really well with my dad but we dont talk about sensitive stuff at all. I dont know how I will ever tell him. And if I do I cannot predict how he will take the news. My parents were in their forties when they had me, they are now in their sixties and my dad is kind of old fashioned.

BTW, my parents are seperated and dont actually speak to each other. My dad lives across the road from us and I see him every day.

Anyways, do you think its a good idea or should I wait?
    Thanks!! :slight_smile:

2. Jay

Jay

Well that is very convenient having Dad across the street. :slight_smile:

I think you should give her something else for Christmas with a little note attached, somewhat along the lines of "Second part of the present coming tomorrow!" and give this first present on Christmas. And, the day after Christmas, approach your Mom with this book and show her how important this is to you and how you want this to be something that will only strengthen your relationship.

Well, tell her that you love her and the reason you're telling her is because Honesty should be everyone's Christmas present. :slight_smile: Christmas is a season for miracles and I have a pretty good feeling this will go alright. Let us know!!! :slight_smile:

*hugs*

3. Ridiculous

I agree with Jay on giving it to her that way rather than wrapped up on Christmas Day. Christmas day is already quite stressful so telling her then could be a bit overwhelming for both of you.

Good luck!

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we can do this together. i plan on coming out to the fam this holiday season, myself.

Just tell your mom your an adult, this sin't some childhood fad that is going wear off. You've been dealing with this for some time and you need her to be supportive.

Good luck :thumbsup:

5. Horizon93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I'm going along with the consensus - I wouldn't actually do it on Christmas Day but I think it sounds like a good plan for a little while later (even just a day or two later).

And as for your dad, I sympathize. Telling my dad was my hardest coming-out so far (though I grant that I've had very few). I think it'll work out with both of your parents - eventually if not immediately - and this is a good way to start.

Best of luck!

6. NordicSpirit

Thanks for all your replies! :slight_smile:

Yea, its probably a good idea to wait until the following day just in case it goes wrong. Im really nervous. It'll be worth it though. :slight_smile: