1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lotty, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Lotty

I had a thread before, about my homo/lesbian/biphobic best friend. Everyone told me to tell her, and try to make her understand. So that's all right, but now I don't know how to tell her and my other friends and my family that I'm in love with a girl. Help me?

2. maverick

It really just depends on your relationship with them. I'd suggest you read some of the stories in the "Coming Out Stories" forum to get some inspiration. My coming out story is in the "The letter that got me disowned yesterday" thread.

Personally, I came out in an letter because a) I was too afraid of my family's response to physically face them and their initial reaction, b) it gave me a chance to say absolutely everything I needed to say without being interrupted by angry outbursts or emotional breakdowns, and c) it gave them something tangible and true to refer back to when they were working through a place of confusion and fear about the whole situation.

Since it's Christmas, you could maybe give them a book about it? Like Love, Ellen, which is written by the mother of Ellen Degeneres, and describes her personal conflict when her daughter came out. I'm toying with the idea of giving my parents the movie Prayers For Bobby just because it is so similar to the situation I was raised in.

3. Lotty

Yeah, I read your thread. I'm so sorry that it went wrong. I want to tell my family and friends in person. I wanted to tell some of my friends today, but I couldn't. We really had a great time today and I didn't want to screw that up. The friends I was with today really wouldn't have a problem with it, I think, but they would tell my best friend immediately, and I don't want that. But I want to come out to them first, so they can help me with the rest. And maybe a book is a good idea.

4. maverick

It's cool, my family is slowly coming around. :thumbsup:

My only advice is to not get caught up in the "I have to wait for the right time" mentality, because if you're really insecure about it you'll just end up putting it off over and over again. Believe me, there's really no good time to come out.

The only bad times to come out (that I can think of) are if you announced your sexuality at a large gathering/holiday thing. For comedic effect, this kind of thing works in the movies, but in real life people just usually get upset, flustered, stressed out and reactionary.

5. Lotty

Wasn't really planning to do that, but still thanks:thumbsup:
    Great to hear about your family, BTW(*hug*)
    I think I'm gonna tell my friends tomorrow.Only, how do I start? 'Hey, guess what? I'm in love with a girl.' Doesn't sound good, does it?:help:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first wanted to come out, I found just telling that first person to be the hardest. So, I trapped myself. I sent a close friend a text that I needed to talk to her that night, that it was important, but nothing was wrong.

Once you hit the send button there is no going back.

Here is a little prep booseter for ya too:
    You are the same person you have always been, your just into girls now too.

Your friends will accept you for who you are, or they suck as friends and you need new ones.

Don't think of this your friends accepting you, think of this as a test for THEM. You need to know that your friends will be there for you, and that they are not just fair weather friends, people who like to be around you only because it convient.

People come out every day, some good, some bad, but they survive, you will too

Go get 'em girl!!! :thumbsup:

7. Lotty

Thanks for your advice. I just send a text to my closest friends saying I have to tell them something tomorrow. And that, if I don't bring it up, they should. No way back now. I've got to be brave. Wish me luck!

8. KatKut

Hello Lotty,I think it depends on which people you are going to tell your true sexuality.Make sure they are understanding and you will not regret your decision of opening up your real feelings to some people in the future,cause unfortunately this world is full of people who would look at you wierd and they'll very often treat you different and bad just because you are gay.comming out does not always equal happiness you need first to find the right time and the right people to come out and be psychologically healthy.for example I am emotionally dependant and people's words and what they think about me affect me so badly the only idea of losing the love of my family and closest friends scars me very much...but this is not our fault we live in an unjust world.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww good luck, it gets easier, im sure they will understand. Tell us how you get on, we will always be here for you.

10. Lotty

Right now, I feel like screaming, crying:tears: and laughing:lol: at once. I came out to my three closest friends, and they accepted it!!! I'm so relieved, you wouldn't believe. Even my homo/lesbian/biphobic best friend tries to accept. I think she already has. Yay!!!:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg
    Thanks so much for all your support and advice(*hug*):kiss:

11. maverick

Yay, congratulations on being out! (!!) (*hug*)

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can do this, good luck :thumbsup:

And I just read your other post, so congrates!!!!

13. Horizon93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's great news, congratulations!