1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Florida, or not to Florida? That is the Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay guys, really need some help here. I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding this Christmastime and I just have no idea what to do. Now normally I go to Florida with my parents frequently, and always have a good time, I'm always excited about going (minus the flying part but I do suck it up and just go with it), but this time something just feels so different. I have this deep feeling that I just do not want to go. At first I thought it was just the idea of flying getting the better of me this time, but now I'm thinking it's more than that. I mean I was up for more than half the night last night fretting about it. Right now there are a few things that are just starting to bother me about going and about not going.

On the problems with not going side:

1. My parents paid for my ticket, so if I didn't go well then either I pay them back or they lose money (it was bought in June so I'm not sure if it was the $230 tickets that are being sold right now for that specific day).

2. We are going from the 21st to the 28th, and so if I didn't go, that means I would not be with my parents for Christmas Day for the first time in my life and I dunno how well I, nor my parents would handle it.

3. I'd just feel bad backing out this close to going and I just don't want to hurt my Mom's feelings...

Now onto the problems with going right now:

1. I still haven't come out to them and while I've gone on five years since my last attempt fine, for some reason I just feel like I don't want to be with them in Florida with only them. I mean sure it's no different than being at home right now and only having communication through FB with friends (they all live in my University's city and many have gone back to their own homes for Christmas). But it's just I dunno.....I just don't know.

2. It's not going to be lovely weather frankly. I mean yes it'll be sunny. But I think the highest it's going up to when I'd be there is 72 degrees and while, yes, it's a lot better than here in Ontario where it's like....30 degrees, still I'd probably wind up doing what I'd do here and just stay in my room for the most part, except when we might go to Disney or Downtown Disney, because the weather would just be like "blah" and so I wouldn't really want to swim or w/e....

3. After being in my university city more often than being at home, I almost don't even consider this place home much anymore. And being away from my parents for so much time I dunno it almost feels like I'm disconnecting from them...and so going with them on vacation feels like almost a hassle

4. I have two exams on Sunday and Monday, and then as soon as my exam on Monday is done we're racing off to Detroit for the flight the next morning, so I almost feel like I get no real breather before heading to Florida. I mean right now between now and Sunday is my "breather". And being the type of person I am (whether it's my autism, my non-spontaneity, or w/e, I just don't like not getting time to take a breather after exams. Yes I'd get the "breather" in Florida but still...

5. It is also slightly the flight thing but like I said I generally am able to get over that by reading on the plane or w/e....

So yeah I don't really know what to do. Perhaps some of the older people (Lex, Jim, etc) could possibly answer this as you guys may have more experience with possibly not always spending Christmas with your parents, could give some advice? I just really don't know what to do because I'm just so worried about everything but at the same time like I said I'm just not sure what I want to do

2. NordicSpirit

If you dont go will you be alone over christmas?

Maybe you could try to get a different flight a day or two later. That way you will get some rest after your exams.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah if I don't go I will be alone for Christmas. And while that is a suggestion, tickets now are over $200. Just saying. And I think they go up in price closer to Christmas. What's more, with my flying thing, at least with my parents I'm a lot more relaxed. I'd be petrified flying alone for the first time...Plus it would cost over $100 just to get me to Detroit since I don't drive.

4. RealityCheck

I say you should go. I think you will enjoy yourself. Never know the kind of great people you can meet on vacations.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also forgot one other reason on the stay in Ontario. I would get to work more. I haven't worked in almost a month, my last paycheck was $100 because I only worked a total of 8 hours in the entire month of November. If I stay, instead of only working 5 days in the month of December and get paid only $125, I'd be able to work 13 days and get paid $325 instead...I know money's not much of something to neglect Christmas for...but still...

6. Spectre

I say you should go. Your parents already paid for the ticket and it's no fun to be alone on Christmas day. Is not seeing your parents / whoever else is back home and having a week's vacation to relax worth the extra $200?? I don't think so.

7. Lychee

I think you should go. The money thing wouldn't count if you had to give it to your parents to pay for a vacation that you didn't go on.

It's too easy not to keep in contact with family once you move out of home, etc. and if they were anything like my parents, they would feel very hurt if you didn't spend Christmas with them.

8. EM68

Like others said, go and have a good time. I think right now you might feel overwhelmed with your exams and money. Once your exams are over your mind might change. Also this might be the thing you and parents need to reconnect. You guys have been apart because of school and the fact you are growing up. Just being in Florida away from your daily routines will do some good. You will have some shared experiences which will last all of you for a long time.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YEah I think I'm going to go. Thanks guys....I just was probably being overwhelmed by everything. Thanks :slight_smile:

10. EWU2012

I'm glad to see you're thinking about going. You said you would make about $200 more if you stayed but then you would have to pay your parents back probably more then that so it wouldn't be worth it. Go and have fun in the warmth of Florida.