1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it good to come out at Christmas Time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Prccgeek, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Prccgeek

I am just wondering if it is generally a bad choice to come out during a big holiday time. Everyone is busy and hectic. Yet I was pondering do it anyway. I am not at home most of the time and they only people that don't know are my brother and my father who I will be spending the holiday with. I would just like to hear peoples thoughts and their experiences if they had any about coming out during a holidays such as Christmas.

2. Spectre

Boxing day?

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guy Fox Day?

There is no right or wrong time to come out, its whenever YOU fell most comfortable

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I would say that it depends on how your family functions. Some families take the news and continue doing everything as usual and some families don't.

I would want to be able to talk to my family about it after I came out and coming out during christmas wouldn't allow that in my family. My mom would ignore it until people left and my dad would ignore it for the mom's sake. Then it would be this huge elephant in the room for the rest of the holiday.

Think about how your family usually takes big news and how they react to them. That should give you a clue whether to do it over christmas or not.

Good luck :slight_smile:

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning on coming a few dats after Christmas, this way everyone can enjoy the holiday withoutmy drama and I only have tio dealt with the Fam for another 2 days before I leave

6. PhantomX

I am really considering coming out the same time to my parents. I really hope things go well. I have no idea how they will take it. Good thing I have friends who are there to support and encourage me and help me out. :slight_smile:

7. NordicSpirit

Im planning on coming out to my mum on St. Stephens day by giving her Love, Ellen by Betty Degeneres. We are having a quiet Christmas, just the two of us. If more family were coming to visit I would wait because my mum gets stressed out when she has to cook for more people.

8. maverick

I came out before Christmas, so I wouldn't get any more women's clothing as gifts. :lol:

9. straal1972

I was planning on waiting till after new years to late my wife know. Thats the plan as of now, but I still have my therapist to talk to about it. I will be telling my brother tomorrow as he is visiting from Seattle for the xmas holidays and I want to tell him in person.

10. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

My personal opinion is no, it wouldn't be a good idea. If there's any possibility that someone could take it badly, you wouldn't want them associating your coming with Christmas. That's just my opinion.

11. starfish

That made my day. :icon_bigg

If you family is running around like chickens with their heads cut off then it would be a bad idea. On the other hand if they are taking everything is stride and enjoying the holidays, then it may be a good idea to tell them.

12. Miles D

It's not good to come out around the holidays, but it's certainly not bad.

Sometimes it's just practical, because family is around that might live far away, everyone is together, and it might be easier.

Go for it, but also don't try and make it such a big deal that people feel like they need to pay special attention to you, or like you're trying to soak up your family's attention.

Good luck! :slight_smile: