1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living with a Crush

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ryesright, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just to preface this a little, I'm a guy in my teens and I know that I am attracted to men, but have never told anyone about these feelings or had any intimate experience with another guy. My only relationships and intimate experiences have been with girls. However, I have stopped dating them, and really pursuing anyone. I think at some level I have definitely decided that it's not fair for me to keep up my charade of being totally straight when I know deep down I'm not.

Anyway, my current living situation is with a guy, my best friend. I have always really valued my close relationships with other guys since my personality doesn't quite fit with the "typical" guy. My guy friends are a different breed of guys. Other guys have certain societal standards to live up to in terms of being all about sports, girls, and putting every ounce of focus on making sure their reputation as a "masculine" guy isn't tarnished. My definition of what it means to be a guy doesn't follow along all these lines, and neither does my personality. I try my best to be me, while keeping my secret feelings to myself. Therefore, the relationships I have built with close guy friends of mine, I heavily value and appreciate since I think they are somewhat hard to come by.

The clincher with my current living situation is that I am head over heels for my roommate, my best friend. If I could bet money on his sexuality, I'd say he is gay too. He never expresses interest in girls here, and when asked about crushes will always just fall back on some interest he has at home that has never seemed to materialize into anything, and the dude has girls all over him all the time and he's just not interested. At some level I think that because he's so much like me, I'm convinced he is gay. I obviously can't rule out the possibility that he could just be a really conservative straight guy, in so far as girls are concerned.

Anyway, being "in the closet" as I am, it is really frustrating and hard for me to continue to live with him since I have all of these feelings for him all the time. I've talked about moving out next year and finding new roommates, but he still wants to live with me. We only planned on living together for a year when we were merely acquaintances, and now that our friendship has blossomed, and our living situation is a fun time I think he wants to stick around. He tells me since we get along so well it'd be kind of foolish for either of us to risk living with other people when we're doing fine. Some part of me just wants to come out and tell him that I have an enormous crush on him, and I'm gay, and this is why I need to spend less time with him. While another part of me is horrified that I could lose my best friend. I feel like common criticism to this is that, well if he is really your best friend he wouldn't ditch you just because you're gay. But I think that that reality is just something far too hard to face.

So right now I feel like I'm at a fork in a road, with the destination between my two paths far too uncertain. I could come out and perhaps tell him of my feelings for him (if he takes the opportunity to say he is gay as well). The results of this could be that I enter into one of the happiest and genuine relationships of my life thus far, or he could be uncomfortable with living with a gay guy, and I lose my best friend. I'm trying my best to weight out how to handle the situation. Do I tell him and roll the dice with the consequences? Or do I just find another roommate and hope that seeing him less will ease my situation?

2. Bryan

Hi welcome to EC!!
    Anyway, your situation sounds rough, sorry to hear that. Anyway, if you are still uncertain, maybe you should drop some hints, or ask him how he feels about homosexuality, and then take it from there.

3. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

Your best bet would be to tell him you are gay first before telling him you have a crush on him. Telling him both at the same time could be way overwhelming for him to handle. Find out what he thinks about you being gay first and then later on if he is accepting of you, let him know your feelings. Good luck!

4. paul7836

I agree. Telling him you are gay, and telling him you like him probably shouldent be at the same time. You know your friend better than us, so its up to you to make the decision to tell/not tell him stuff. But lying to peoples faces is harder than you think, and does dig you into a deeper hole.

5. SpikySpice

I think the 2 options that you have, come out or dont, it's better that you come out, if he is also gay, that will benefit you , and you may invole in a relationship with him

But if he is not gay and dosnet like the fact you are gay, you already had the thought of moving out anyway

But like all the things you said, you think this guy may be gay, but sometimes some straight guys dont wnat to be in a relationship with girls, for some reasons. But I think it'll be ok, because you gusy are really close friends, and just be ready for any outsomes, so take time and come out when you are ready, at any time

6. Jim1454

^ I agree! Tell him that you are gay. He may take the opportunity to tell you that he is as well. He may not though - even if he is. Everyone is on a different schedule in terms of coming out... But if you're that close, and getting along so well, I would think he would come out to you too if he really is gay.

I wouldn't tell him that you have a crush on him if he doesn't come out to you. What would be the point. You'd both just feel uncomfortable instead of just one of you. If you can't manage living with him, then I guess you'd need to move out.

Good luck though.

Oh - and Welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto!

7. Louise

Hi from Louise in France. Well the general concensus seems to be for you to tell your roommate that you are gay. I agree with this, I would maybe have a chat in general about homosexuality and see how open he is to it then it could be a good opener to say 'hey I'm glad you are so open about this because I am gay' then basically you just have to take it from there.

If you really do get on so well, even if your roomy is straight, he might be happy to continue your friendship and living with you. I would definately wait and see his reaction before announcing that you have a crush on him, as MAbrtdFts says, it might be too much for him to reasonably handle in one go.

Wishing you all the best :slight_smile:

8. Daniel6

You want to see if your roommate has the same feeling as you do right? You want him to come out to you first rather than you do it right? You are playing a game. I don't think it's a good idea since you are risking losing your best friend and maybe your future boyfriend. Be honest with yourself and your friend

Good luck :icon_wink

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Louise. Since it would be difficult to just "come out" immediately, testing the waters isn't a bad idea. Nothing's certain but it would certainly build up confidence. And if you do come out to him, wait a while before thinking about saying you have a crush on him.

10. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations, EC. I guess this place really works :icon_wink !

I do have a success story to share. I decided to remain with my current roommate. But perhaps more importantly, I decided to come out to him, and actually perhaps unwisely gave the one-two punch and ended up admitting I liked him. The result? We're sort of together right now! I also came out to three of my best friends.

I feel very liberated, excited, and a tad scared. While it was harder than I thought to tell some of my friends, they were extremely receptive and supportive, as I had thought they would be. I guess the hardest thing for me was just realizing that once I said it, I really couldn't go back to keeping up my charade as a straight guy.

As for my crush and boyfriend, I guess? Ha, Can't believe it. But as for him, this is all very exciting, this is my first relationship with a guy, and I plan on enjoying it while it lasts.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

11. muhamo

Congrats!
    We're really happy for you

Seeing that someone's story turned out great is a very good way to start the day

12. pirateninja

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for the best. And well done on being brave enough to tell him both at the same time, I doubt that were I in your shoes that I could have!

13. Daniel6

congratulations
    I'm happy for you too
    yay(!) (!) (!)

14. Zorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Holy crap, you are the luckiest guy in the world! I want something like that to happen so bad! Actually, I just want a great (and first) boyfriend, but I guess I'll just have to wait.

15. Daniel6

It calls for many more interesting stories. Would you share them with us ?:grin:

16. Kibuki kid

Thats great!:eusa_danc Congratulations:thumbsup: Oh and enjoy:grin:

17. ebra

wow that is great. gives people hope i guess. lol. maybe one day you can give me some advice, because i find myself in a very simular situation, and am very unsure of my next move. congrats!

18. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure how useful my advice can be. I decided to keep living with him primarily because next year that places me in close proximity to my others close friends as well, and that outweighed the advantages of living with a different group of people.

As for how I came out to him...I think it was pure luck. We had both been drinking that night, and when we came back to our room, we just started watching TV, sitting on the couch together. Living with the person I liked a lot, and seeing them so much led me to be sort of obsessed, lol, so...with a bunch of drinks in me I guess I lost my inhibitions and fears and just allowed myself to go with it as my situation unfolded.

He thought it'd be funny to draw on me with a marker when I fell asleep, but he ended up washing it off and as he was wiping away at my arms and hands, I started to just kind of run my fingers along his hands. I know...I have some really, really sweet game! Haha. whatever, lame, I know, but it worked! Anyway, after all the marker was gone he sat back down next to me, and I kind of moved in closer and just looked at him. He said to me, "I know what you want to do." And I replied, feigning shock, "What?! What do I Want to do?" Then he said, "Lets just do it." And we kissed. My first gay kiss. So, I guess I was kind of misleading I never actually TOLD him I was gay, nor did I ever actually tell him I liked him. I imagine it's fairly obvious to him now though, haha.

Now it's been a few weeks of me living with the guy I like so much, and as you can imagine it has been really, really fun. :wink:

19. ebra

aww thats so perfect. lol. When and If i ever tell her, I want to be very close to something like that. skip the awkward conversation part and just show her. well congratulations again :grin:

20. Grof142007