1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chained butterfly, Dec 21, 2010.

1. chained butterfly

Hey. I just wanted some advice as to what I should do.

Okay so right now money is real tight for my mother and I figure before I ask your opinion you should know the story first. I'm sorry if this is a bit long.

My mother and father right now are going through a seperation and my father is very ill. His children and his family however are trying to screw my mother over. They stole around 2000$ from my mother and fathers account [they claim its to help my father] they stole 800 $ from my account [again claiming that its my fathers money]. Ghere trying to take away my mothers house from her, they have tooken my fathers social security check and my social security check away from my mother. Now we have no money to pay the bills and things are starting to piling up. My mother, her boyfriend, and I are forced to live in my grandparents house becaue of my ignorant ass hole shit heads of siblings..... [any whoo I think I got a little of topic]

I don't see any money currency coming my way for a very very long time. I'm a freshman in highschool and my grades are okay. I have a 89 average but I don't think that's enough for a scholorship. I'm terrible in sports even though I play soccer so I don't see any scholorship there. I want to persue a life in drama so idont see any need for college but I really do want to go to college. I know people think I'm too young to worry about things like this but if I don't worry about it now when will I? I don't want to be too late. Sigh.

Please help :-(

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry for all the trouble you and your mom are going through (*hug*)

I'm not sure how it works now, but when I went to college, I got student loans to pay for most all of it. I went to a state university so the tuition wasn't too bad. I worked part-time while in high school/college and full-time during the summers. It was a lot of work with classes and work, but I made it through and hopefully you can do what it takes if you're willing to put in the effort. Get the best grades you can now to better your chances of scholarships. Buckle down, study hard, sacrifice free time as needed to make the future you want. Things don't always turn out the way you want, but you can try.

Best wishes! :thumbsup:

3. Miles D

A lot of people take out student loans to pay for college.

If your family doesn't have a lot of money, you may qualify for need-based scholarships. But there are also lots of small merit-based scholarships from private organizations or through the college you're going to. One of my cousins paid her way through school with lots of little $500-$1000 scholarships. Keep in mind that state schools are a lot cheaper, and so are community colleges.

Don't discount college all together, because especially nowadays, college degrees are almost necessary for getting jobs that are well-paying.

-Miles

4. starfish

You can also get a job in college to help pay for it. If you take core classes at a community college and then get your degree from state college, it can be quite affordable.

5. happy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I may have different view on the college thing than many people. I am a way-too educated person. I have student loans. Wish I didn't. And...I think times are changing. I think your generation is in a wonderful position and I think it is wonderful you are thinking of all this NOW. Keep think about school, strategizing, asking LOTS of questions, but most importantly - think for yourself.

A few things to consider:

1. Times are changing. Most of us were raised to believe we needed a college degree to get a job. I believe you must be educated. In the future, I am not sure what "Educated" will look like, tbh. I still think a bachelors will be necessary. But....how you get that and where may be irrelevant. I am now a successful business owner (no longer an employee) - and many of the most successful people I know have an education, but they come from very diverse backgrounds (community college, part of a college degree, many have arts degrees, etc.). Talk to people.

2. Get involved as a student with your local Rotary. Volunteer with your local Rotary for several reasons. a. Adults there tend to be successful in their chosen fields and will mentor you b. Rotary has money and gives scholarship. I've noticed they give scholarship to those who give back to their community and are involved with them. Let Rotary get to know you starting now. There is money there in many ways (through individuals, businesses, and the organization itself). Act mature and responsible - be reliable when around your fellow Rotarians. Earn their respect.

3. Read business books even if it does not interest you. Such reading shows you how to access money, store it, network people. You need these skills in life no matter what career you desire to follow. I am a musician by trade. Fortunately a successful musician due to my business readings. PM me if you want some recommendations.

4. Bitch about your family situation to your friends. When needed, "inform" adult mentors about your family situation, but always put on a positive face. They like this and it will make you look good and mentors will want to help you - therefore showing you how to meet your goals (whether it be scholarship, accessing college, drama stuff, etc). They will guide you. Develop an adult network of mentors both in education and outside of education (in the business world).

Just some thoughts. I do not like student loans, personally. You ever notice people with their doctorates drive the worst cars? I think it's because they owe so much money - book smart, money poor. Think - be creative and trust yourself.

6. Mogget

Also, consider this: You're fourteen. By the time you're ready for college, your situation may be completely different. Your financial situation may be much better, much worse, or about the same. There's no way to know. Your best bet if you want to go to college is to get a job and start saving money now, just in case. And you'll probably have to take loans regardless of your financial situation; don't worry about it, most people in the US do.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing I'm curious about though. How exactly are they stealing money from yours and your parents accounts? I mean do they know your passwords, have your cards, etc?

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The overwhelming majority of financial aid given for college is not merit-based, but need based. Meaning, if you don't have the income, many colleges will work to help you make it affordable, through a combination of need-based scholarships, grants, and loans. And many states have tuition waivers or significant discounts for students attending state schools where they live.

That said, it is also true that college is a bit less of a guarantee of success than it was in previous generations, and students are also graduating with staggering debt ($150-200,000 or more in some cases for a 4 year degree) which I think is really unwise unless it is a career that has a near-guarantee of high income.

At 14, very few people know what they want to do. Hell, at 24, very few people know what they want to do either. So don't stress about it. There are low-cost options if you want to go to college, there are vocational opportunities, and there are good and fulfilling jobs that require no additional training.

What is important is starting to think about what you want to do. Even if you change your mind later, having a path in mind helps you make some plans and take some steps for your future.

By having a plan in place, you will help yourself think about and make decisions to move in that direction. Without a plan, it's easy to find yourself stranded working in retail or fast food or a call center or some other pretty unfulfilling job with few prospects for future growth. That's fine if it makes you happy, but if you're thinking about college, you probably have higher aspirations for yourself, and you shouldn't give those up just because your family is having financial issues.

I hope that helps.

9. Adam

If you would like to, join the military, they would pay for most of your college.

Also going to community college and getting financial aid you are pretty much paying nothing.

Don't worry about it, if you want to go to college you can.

10. chained butterfly

Thanks guys
    @revan: they know the passwords and such from my dad bcaue there convincing him my mom is an evil person who is just out for his money..

11. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to ask the same thing as Revan... I'd definitely say it's time to change your account passwords. And if anyone took $800 from my bank account, I would be on the phone with both the bank and police. Not to mention, IIRC stealing social security money is a federal crime, no?

12. happy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe stealing money is federal crime. Change passwords asap. fyi, you can also open a separate account that Dad doesn't know about. Throw him off. Go to another bank if necessary. Don't be a victim, that's a choice.

You're getting some good insight here.

13. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In terms of the college situation, do what everyone else said (Get involved in your community, get good grades, get involved in clubs at school, apply for scholarships, etc.) In addition, PLEASE be sure to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application For Federal Student Aid) once you apply to schools. Based on whatever economic situation they find you to be in, you could receive grants, loans (unsubsidized and subsidized), and/or work programs.

Good luck! :grin:

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, like the others said, change your passwords, and talk to your bank. It doesn't matter if its your Dad's money or not, I'm pretty sure that once it's in your account, that is YOUR money and they can easily be arrested for theft...

15. AlyssWonderland

An 89 average is pretty good, and as long as you keep that up, you should be eligible for some scholarships and financial aid. If the situation doesn't get better by the time you need to start seriously thinking about where you want to go and what you want to do, you could go to community college for two years and then go to a better college for the other two years. Alot of people do that and it saves money. My brother's going to be doing that next year, and its a pretty good idea. You still get a good education and it saves a ton of money. Hopefully by then though everything will be fixed and your dad won't take anymore. I'm sorry about what happened.

16. Johnnieguy

GO TO COLLEGE. You will regret it if you don't.

You can take generals at community colleges. VERY cheap!!

Some state schools no longer let you take less than a full course load (ie, 13 credits at the U of MN) but you might be able to talk with someone in admissions who could make an exception for you, allowing you to work 20 hours per week to pay for school (average is 10 hours per week, I would say).
    ----This will take you longer to graduate, but you might be able to graduate debt free by working more/taking less classes per semester. If you do plan to take out loans, keep in mind that most lenders require you to have a certain minimum number of credits to prevent entering repayment.

Private universities offer scholarships that can cover 1/3 or more of total costs if you want to go to one of those...Some have ROTC scholarships too. Talk to your high school counselors. They might have connections at a private university to get you fully paid for.

Also, research your schools. You need to like the location, get a degree you're interested in, go to an accredited institution, etc...But don't discount a school because you're unfamiliar with it or it is small.

Many programs have scholarships from private companies to help ease the debt load for studente (an example I am familiar with is Biosystems and Bioproducts Engineering).

Thinking beyond college: Many graduate programs PAY YOU to go to school for your master's or your PhD. This is generally done for science and economics, but maybe a few other disciplines as well.

Since you're only 14, you still control so much. If you are undecided about what you want to go into, get as much math and science on your HS transcript as possible....Calculus if you can get it, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. Unless you for sure want to do business, theatre, english, etc, those core classes will help set you up success in college.

Something else: Does New York offer PSEO (post-secondary enrollment option)? In Minnesota, high schoolers who have finished their curriculum early can spend much of their senior year getting an astounding number of college credits, all paid for by the State of Minnesota...Imagine, not needing to pay for 16 or 17 credits...A full semester's worth.

Bottom line: There are tons of financial resources available to you that your high school counselors will know about. (Another: are you first in your family to go to college? If you are, that equals big bucks!!)

You can find various ways to pay for college: work, personal savings, loans (low interest rates=affordable!!), scholarships, PSEO, etc.

#16 Johnnieguy, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010