1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something positive

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xadude, Dec 23, 2010.

1. xadude

I'm not entirely sure if I should post this here... I haven't posted in ages but I had a sudden urge to post this fairly recent development here. It might support some who read it; it might stir up some discussion. If people read it I am quite happy so I will try and keep it short (although that will be a challenge)

Point being, I am in my second year of university and I have met this transgender girl (biologically a boy, identifies as a girl, for the sake of the story I will call her Claire). Her story is a rather sad one but an impressive one at that. We met during the first weeks of term and started talking. She would come into where I work every Monday night just so we could talk. During those endless talks Claire told me the story of her life. She comes from a small town in the north of Scotland where honour is often the only thing people have and they will do a lot to protect it. Claire has always been a bit of an outsider, she has a speech impediment which is part of the reason why her parents have been repressive.

Basically she has been emotionally abused all her life, by her parents, by her siblings and by the people at school. Being highly intelligent has been extremely close to doing some seriously bad things but actually never has although the crimes (and that is not an exaggeration) that have been committed towards her have given her many reasons to do something back especially considering the police in her town do not step up for those less fortunate in a disability kind of way.

But these stories are the sad side of the story and this is not a sad story. She moved to Aberdeen, where I currently live myself, over the summer to start her studies. Since then she has actually dared to step out of the front door dressed as a girl. In the beginning she did not believe people cared about her but over the past weeks she has changed. Aberdeen has become her new home where people are there for her when she needs people. Although she has been suicidal twice since she moved here that does not have anything to do with the atmosphere in Aberdeen, but rather the thoughts of home and the flashbacks to events and emotions of the past.

The reason why Claire has shocked me so much is because she shows that people can be what they are, and although that’s not the case everywhere she has given me hope that people can find a place they are comfortable to live. But above all she has been the most awesome friend anyone can wish for. And her friends, many of whom are mine as well have shown they are far above those people from that little town in Scotland and that honour is not in who you are and how you see yourself but in what you do with your life, how you influence people and how you try to change the world.

And if me being there for her and making her life better and making sure that this awesome person continues to fight for a better world, for herself and hopefully for others in the future, I have accomplished enough. I'll strive for more but Claire will always be the person who I think of when I am down because she just keeps going on and if everyone in the world would be like her the world would be a much better place.

If you have read this all, thanks for sticking to the end. I hope you feel inspired by Claire the way I do every day.

2. echapper

Thanks for sharing this! Even though it's painful to read about the struggles many have to face, such stories are truly inspiring.

3. adam88

Thank you for sharing. It's stories like this that I come here for :slight_smile:

4. happy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a great story and I am glad you posted. This needs to be shared.

5. acorn7

Really great story — props to Claire! I'm so glad for you and her, it sounds like a great friendship.

It gets better.