1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Major/Future Career

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheRoof, Dec 23, 2010.

1. TheRoof

Hello,
    This is going to be a long post, so please bear with me, thank you!
    so I've had a heated discussion/argument with my family few hours ago, and I honestly don't know what to think so I'm writing here to get any input or advice.
    Basically the family discussion was about my college major and future career.
    I'm currently in Ivy League school, in pre-med/bio track, but I hate biology and science so I'm planning to switch to fashion major, which is something I've always wanted to do since I was very young; it's my passion, my dream, as much as it sounds corny.
    My parents, on the other hand, want me to go to a more "stable" track, such as Med school or Law school or even pharmacy, because they claim that jobs in fashion industry don't pay bills, it's hard, unstable...blah blah blah.
    Now I can't totally discredit them, because their advice makes sense, but at the same time, I'm just not as interested in science as I am with art/fashion. And this first semester in college, I've realized that I HATE biology/chem, and I'm going to be very unhappy if I keep doing this for another 12 years.
    But my parents are telling me that although I should think about my passion and interest, I should also think about future job stability, salary...etc and they are strongly suggesting me (but not forcing me, although they are guilt trapping me, talking about me being disappointment blah blah) to rethink my course of action, and maybe I'll manage to do better in biology if I try.
    Honestly, I'm just really split between my own dream/passion vs their rather realistic advice. I mean, with current job market and unemployment rates, it's not too late to think about my future career and stability and how much money I'm going to make.
    THey also say that because I was brought up in well-off environment my whole life (and honestly I always tend to get what I want, although it sounds like I'm totally spoiled), I'll never be able to handle the harsh reality and instability of real world and fashion industry.
    So any advice please??? I'm really confused and don't know what to do. Plus, if I'm really going into fashion, I should switch my college to fashion school like FIT or Parsons, and the fact that I'm going to ditch Ivy League and go to fashion school makes me feel kind of stupid. HELP!!!

2. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People switch majors so much its dumb, (Like myself and plenty of other people). I'm just trying to say that nothing is permanent and this isn't the "be all end all" decision. This is a hard one because as you said, they were somewhat realistic. If you ABSOLUTELY hate what you are doing now then I wouldn't advise you stay with it, Just keep your mind open to new ideas. You dont have to stay with what you are doing, and you don't have to chase fashion but whatever you chose, its not going to ruin you life at the age of 18.

Fox

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me quickly tell you about my circle of college friends. What we majored in, and where we ended up.

R was a pre-med major. He now is a senior editor at a major (non-medical) magazine.
    D majored in film studies. He's a massage technician.
    A majored in math. He works in the entertainment industry.
    J started as pre-med, then switched to history. He works in mergers and acquisitions for a bank.
    P majored in sociology. He writes music for TV shows and movies.
    B was a pre-med major. He's a doctor now.

...we all think B is the weird one. :slight_smile:

My point is this - don't overthink the major. It's easy to think that the wrong major will be a huge sticking point, but I haven't seen that to be the case. Indeed, if you change your mind (back) and want to get a med degree, you'll probably have to do a bit of catch-up. But that's no big deal in the long run.

My main question would be this - have you taken any fashion courses yet? I don't know what sorts of "intro" courses there might be, but I'm curious as to whether you've gotten your feet wet on that. It may end up that you don't like the drudgery of fashion design, either - it would probably behoove you to know that before you commit fully.

Lex

4. RealityCheck

Just to add to Fox, I also think that you shouldn't base your ideas on a career choice on a couple of classes. Maybe you have already done the proper research on your current career plans, but if you haven't shadowed someone to get a feel for the work environment, I suggest doing that before abandoning it. Sometimes people use a job to enable them the ability to pursue a passion. I have worked through an issue similar to yours before. At the end of the day after all the advice comes in, you will have to be the one that makes the decision.

5. maverick

American college kids change majors an average of three times during their upper education. You don't have to know what you want to do at 18.

That being said, if fashion really is your dream, I say go for it. It is a competitive field and you could use the degree to back you up. Barring that, you could remain in your current major for the security and just learn everything you possibly can about the fashion industry, designers, sewing, business management, etc...

You don't necessarily need a fashion degree if you school yourself. You just have to be a very thorough autodidact (self-taught learner) and have the confidence/skills to promote yourself when the time comes.

For what it's worth, during my five years at university I switched from pre-vet to studio art, and from studio art to English/political science (the degrees I graduated with).

6. TheRoof

haha this is funny lex :slight_smile:
    I guess it's not a huge deal if I decide to change my major, but I just really want to get over with college. I don't want to waste too much time doing the whole "figuring out who I am" thing.
    And no, I have not taken any fashion courses yet, although I'm planning to. But it just sucks because my school does offer a fashion course, but in different college (as in different college within the university) and they don't allow kids from other college to take their courses, so basically I'm going to have to start taking fashion starting in my sophomore year after the internal transfer, which means I'd have to waste another semester just to take fashion course and see if I like it. Also my parents want me to just go to fashion school if I really do decide to do fashion, so I'd have to transfer again I just hate the situation I put myself into.

My parents said the exact same thing. They are like, "oh you can become a doctor and make lots of money, then do something you're interested...ugh what's it called? fashion?" -_-;; I'm really hesitant and eager at the same time for changing my major. I'm just torn and undecisive and pathetic.

I just feel like both bio and fashion are very demanding subjects (not that any other courses/majors aren't) and it's just not realistic enough to stay as bio major and do fashion stuff at the same time. THat's why I feel like I need to decide pretty soon what I want to do. :frowning2:

Anyways thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. Thinking about the future is such a headache though :/

7. Johnnieguy

One bit of advice I have for you is to NOT do law school. You'll aquire so much debt and the market is saturated as it is...So use that as an argument point with your parents if you need to. They won't be able to deny it.

I work in Biology and I absolutely love it. Doesn't pay "well" right now, but after I get my M.S. I might be able to make a living in it. Med school isn't your only option with a Bio degree.....Many people go the research route, like me. If you end up getting a Ph.D. your career becomes less bench work and more grant-writing, which is something I want to avoid...But I do have to say working in academia is fun-a lot of hard work, but also a great way to lead your life.

THAT being said, I would probably drown in the fashion world...My mind just doesn't work that way.

Do what you want, and you'll never work a day in your life.

8. Artemicion

Okay...After typing all this I realised this is really long! I hope it helps somewhat...

Actually...depending on what kind of college/university you enter it might still be able to enter a bio and fashion...even though it sounds a bit far-fetched i have heard of something kinda similar...

For example, one of my friends did a Business Major and did Media Arts on the side as a joint major...so a bit like a double major...but not quite. But then again...is there even a place that does both bio and fashion well...=____="

Bio, i don't know much about i'll say straight up, but i believe some of my friends who went that route ended up so far (they haven't graduated yet...) doing something along the lines of working at drug companies, which tends to be..staying long hours in the lab and such (this may happen during the time you're in college...). I've also heard like...all-nighters where you work from sun-rise to sun-rise @_@".

Fashion, i would have a hunch that it would be long hours too (and i see all-nighters also if you're not careful)...but i suspect that it would feel a lot more rewarding as you can more often physically see the results of your work. Personally, i am a media arts major. I do 3D animation/rendering, 2D drawing/rendering, some architecture, film, photography, game design, sound design, computer programming...and so on. Whenever I finish a project, I can see the results...like 3D animation, instead of a lab report...Anyways I doubt that this will help me pay bills in the future which is the major argument here versus what you wanted to do for a long time?

I say...think about what skills are transferrable that you will acquire when studying either of these majors. As I have come to realize, a lot of the times, you're not really learning a whole lot about the content (most often you have to do all the research yourself anyways), instead you acquire skills and other things like time management, stress control, networking, cooking...etc.

How long of a time frame do you think you will be in college for? I'm currently in my 5th year....which turns out of be the average of what i'm studying. So you're not exactly...wasting time if you decide to switch during 2nd year...but there is the money issue though...hrm...

Oh and by the way, even after i chose what i wanted to study, i'm not even sure what i want to do AFTER i graduate, which is like in 4 months :bang:.

Another thing is...if you seriously think fashion is your thing/passion i say GO FOR IT! For if it is truly something you love to do it will show in your works :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

As for bio, remember you will be studying this for around 4 years (am i right? and assuming you don't switch majors). Are you sure you will ENJOY this during the time you are studying this?

Last note:
    I say both majors are on equal footing on paying bills.

9. maverick

You could always double-major in business and fashion - that way, you'll have a fashion degree, but you'll also have a "solid" degree to fall back on. You can always use the business degree elsewhere if you don't go into fashion, but if you go into fashion, a business degree will still come in handy.

If I were you I would just switch to fashion and see how you like it, but I'm insanely biased towards the visual arts and think everyone should become an artist of some kind. :icon_wink

10. TheRoof

Thanks everyone. For now I'm planning to remain in my uni at least until the end of my freshmen year and see what happens.
    And Maverick, I'm was thinking about doing fashion and MBA as graduate student, which seems like a good idea bc business degree is more broad in terms of job skill i guess

#10 TheRoof, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket.

I have a number of friends who started to, or wanted to major in fashion design, and 4 or 5 who actually did. Of those who actually finished, none are working in fashion, at least not in the way they wanted. Of those who wanted to, most figured out it was not a very wise choice and switched. BlairSW, EC's social work expert, was in fashion design school before he went into the social work field, so you might PM him for his input as well.

It seems like half the gay boys out there want to be fashion designers. But the problem is, being successful in fashion design is about as easy as being successful as an actor or musician; there are a lot of people doing it and making a little money and struggling, but very, very few that make a good living at it. And that includes people who go to FIDM, Parsons, RISD, or any of the other topnotch schools out there.

Also, people always feel under pressure to choose a career in or before college. Bullshit. Few people have a real clue what they really want to do when they are in college, or even after they graduate. And the average time in a given career is something like 7 years! (And this average includes careers such as medicine and law, which tend to be much longer, meaning a lot of people are switching careers after way less than 7 years.) So don't stress too much about your ultimate career at this point.

I would encourage you to focus your education on something that is a balance between something you enjoy and something that has some practical potential. A fashion degree won't help you do much of anything in any field other than fashion. But a degree in almost any liberal arts area will help you develop really good critical thinking and analytical skills, and a wide array of knowledge about a lot of things. As Lex said, the degree itself may not be a good predictor of what you'll end up doing... but I do think the skill and knowledge you get from any general liberal arts degree will help you get hired and find a career.

12. happy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a business person. I do not recommend getting a "business" degree - ever. I recommend choosing something within business and getting a degree or side degree in that specific area (e.g. accounting, book keeping, marketing, advertising, legal, leadership/communications, etc.). A business degree trains ppl to work as middle management or large corporations. If you major in the arts (as I did) and have a specialty in an area of business - you can do very well.

Statistically, those in the top 2% of my arts field have incorporated their arts knowledge (whatever that is - music, visual, movement) plus their specialized business knowledge. You hire ppl to do the rest for you.

Also, what you are hearing about form Lex and others about majors and what you end up doing is so true. I majored in music and I run businesses. But! I wouldn't be successful as a businessperson if it weren't for the skills I learned as a musician.

I think your generation is dealing with things your parents never dreamed of. Many parents assume if their child becomes a Dr., they will get a pension, or make enough money to retire. This is not the case. Health care will be changing, how we retire is changing, and things will be very different for us than what our parents experienced. You need to take care of yourself. Understand they do have limited knowledge and will be passionate b/c they think know the "sure" way. There is no "sure" way. My two cents.

13. TheRoof

Thanks for the input. That's what I have been afraid of this whole time. I understand that fashion is such a narrow unpredictable volatile field, and it's so hard to become successful, and it doesn't exactly have a decent pay unless you are Marc Jacobs or Donna Karan. Your advice to balance out something I enjoy and something that has practical potential is very very true. Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

It's very true. my parents think that becoming a doctor will make you wealthy or something, but it's kind of ridiculous because you have to pay exorbitant amount of medical school tuition (not to mention undergrad tuition as well) and also do residency, which adds up to 12+ years of whatever while debt keeps piling up that whole time. And as you said, health care is changing in US so it's definitely going to be different than in the past, although to which degree I'm not sure of. Thanks for your input.

14. acorn7

This is tough.

Definitely finish your freshman year, get a real feel for biology/science/pre-med. If you do switch, you want to make sure you're not interested in that.

If you want to work in the fashion world generally, if you feel you have a passion for it, I'd say go for it. Maybe you'll end up working in a different field, but at least you'll have studied what you love. For me, if I'm not motivated, I really do badly. If I am, I can produce excellent work.

Whatever you do, remember that people our age almost never know what they want to do or how to achieve it.

I'm 19 and I started law school this year after doing my Cegep (pre-university 2-year program here in Quebec) in communications and design. It was really tough for me to decide between the more "passion" choice (design major) or "reasonable" choice (law school). Now, what's different was that a) I did have an interest for law, politics and related fields and that b) I can't say that I have a passion for art and design, just a strong interest. Also, with the university system here, I'm not getting into debt with law school (thank you "socialism") so it's not like this choice will necessarily shape my life.

I don't regret my choice most of the time, but there are those days when I really wish I had chosen something closer to my heart.

It sounds like you're reasonably well off financially, so I would definitely go for fashion studies if you hate biology. Do try to sit in on some fashion classes and talk to students and people in the industry to get a feel for both the studies and the career options.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's another thought about biology: Did you go into it because *you* wanted to, and were genuinely interested in it, or because your parents encouraged you to? If you genuinely find it interesting, but it's a little challenging, you can probably do fine with it if you get a little extra help/tutoring, and/or buckle down a little more. But if you really dislike it and are doing it primarily because you were encouraged, then experiment a bit and take some courses in other areas.

Better yet, check with your college's career office and see if they offer aptitude tests. There are a number of excellent tests that look at both your skills *and* the things you enjoy, and sometimes they can draw your attention to careers you might otherwise never have even considered. Particularly if you are trying to strike a balance between something that's enjoyable and potentially financially practical, getting the testing can be really enlightening in giving you at least new ideas to consider. But sticking with bio even if you hate it, simply because it's a potentially lucrative career field, is almost certainly going to make you unhappy in the long run... and you'll likely end up changing careers anyway if you do pursue it.

16. Zontar

I'm currently majoring in computer science, but my real dream is to be an entrepreneur. Always has been as long as I can remember.

My advice is to pick something you can "fall back" on while you pursue your more ambitious, unconventional career paths. I as well as you probably don't want to end up working full-time for sixty years at the same job like everyone else...we aspire to be more than that, do we not? You got one life to live; live it as rich and famous as you can!! But shit ALWAYS happens...pick something you can always return to while you make your next plans after failing.

17. xequar

If you're going to do the silly thing, now's the time to do it. It's easier to get a useless degree the first time and then go back for something useful than it is to get a job in a field that you don't like and try to deal with it down the road.

18. TheRoof

thanks everyone again. I really appreciate all the advices from everyone :slight_smile:
    @Chip: im doing bio mainly because my parents want me to do it. ik its lame, but at this point, i have chosen bio to appease them, but most likely ill change to something else.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2010 at 06:30 PM ----------

oh and i had to idea about the aptitude test. I should definitely check if my school offers any of those.

19. Mogget

Don't major in something you hate. Or even something you don't actively like. A lot of science majors at my school are only in science because it pays well, and it shows. They don't ever really enjoy their studies. The liberal arts kids, on the other hand, tend to be passionate and engaged, they enjoy school and get more out of it.

Does the fashion school offer a minor in design or similar? I've found minoring a great way to get in some extra knowledge and fun classes I wouldn't otherwise have been able to take, without the pressure of a huge ton of classes needed for a major.

20. TheRoof

I think it's tough because what I like and am interested is in the art field, which tends to be volatile and unstable in general, as opposed to science field majors that kind of ensures, to a much larger degree, more stable and better paying jobs on the long run.
    I really wish there was a job in art field that I could get into, and still be financially stable and well off. I'm thinking of art history major as undergrad, then MBA as grad school, but I don't even know if that's a good choice, and if my parents will approve, and being tied to them financially, it's hard to do whatever I want to do :confused:
    Well, my school offers fashion program, but it doesn't offer it as minor; in fact, it's in a different college (in the university), and their program is really exclusive to their own students, so if I want to get into fashion, i would have to actually transfer there (although it's not really transfer, it's just internal transfer, so it's more of a formality). I would have to be really serious about fashion if I get into that program, because it's not a liberal arts college where you can take whatever classes. i was thinking about maybe minoring in art history and doing bio major, but I just don't know what I am supposed to do with the degrees. I mean, like 80% of bio kids in my school go to med school, and rest tend to go to research and grad school studies, but I don't think I want to go to med school or research field...And with the art degree, I don't know what I'll do with it either. I don't like how I don't have my definite future planned out, I mean I understand what other people are saying, that your major doesn't determine your future career and all that but still I don't like feeling lost :eusa_doh: