1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Help Books

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fintan, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Fintan

Has anyone read any good gay self-help books?

I have recently come out and would be interested in suggestions?

Thanks!

2. NordicSpirit

The Homo Handbook by Judy Carter. I dont know if I would call it a self help book, but there are parts about coming out, handling negative attitudes towards gays and meeting new people. Judy Carter is a comedian and the book sort of reflects that. Its kinda funny and there are lots of comedian quotes. The only drawbacks are that it was written quite some time ago and some parts are a little outdated. Also the attitude towards bisexuals in the book seems to be that they are gays in denial. Otherwise its quite good.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My perennial favorite is "10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" by Joe Kort. The name is incredibly deceptive; it hsa little to do with finding real love and everything to do with understanding yourself and being more in touch with yourself and whatever issues might limit you. It's not a breezy read but it's well worth the effort.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" its actually a very good book. Like chip said, the title of it completely sucks at describing what the book is really about. Good read though.