1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i think its time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by closetgregg, Dec 23, 2010.

1. closetgregg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i maybe seeing the person who i decided i will tell 'the truth' to first. i want to do it on new years. im afraid i will chicken out, like ive done when i wanted to tell her before. how do you get over the hump. this sucks, i want to, but keep holding myself back.

2. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Hey, you just told us =P... Maybe, writing a letter down or something may help you? Rehearsing something over and over, doesn't help... Well it did not for me... I came out to my mom in one of my "your pissing me off, Mom" moments (and I had been thinking how to tell her for like years, and seriously rehearsing a speech for like 4months). But, also if you feel you are not ready, don't feel a rush to do it.

3. Lebowski45

I know how you feel, I still look back on it and wonder how the hell I managed to tell anyone at all. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. But honestly, if I could do it, anyone can.

So, you've identified the person you want to tell. Don't worry about the fact you've missed a few opportunities, I pulled out of doing it loads of times before I finally managed to do it. Personally, I found telling people in person a real problem. I told some people by msn (which is still hard) but I think not seeing the reactions on people's faces helped me. I would type in something like "there's something i've been wanting to tell you", which would then force me into actually saying "i'm gay". I found it easier having the follow up conversation that way too. Others, I sent a text message, I'd write a text message and practically force myself to press the send button. You could even just send a text saying "i want to talk to you about something later on" which means they'd bring the subject up, forcing you to tell them.

If you do want to tell her face to face, it sounds silly, but have a sort of "trigger" phrase. Mine was simply "there's something I want to tell you." I knew that, once I said that, I'd finally tell them. If I could get those words to leave my mouth, I'd be "forced" into coming out.

It is a tremendously difficult thing to do, but its worth it in the end. Remember, you're NEVER going to feel comfortable, you're ALWAYS going to feel nervous when coming out for the first time, its just something you have to overcome. The relief you feel after doing it makes up for it though. Good luck, keep us posted :slight_smile:

4. straal1972

The first person I told was my sister. I couldn't believe how hard it was to physically say 'I'm gay'. But I knew I had to say it 'cus I desparately needed help to cope/deal with it. Try practicing saying the words out loud in front of a mirror. Over and over again. That's what they taught us to do in the high school musicals, it really helps getting over nerves.

If you have any doubts on how she will take it, think 2 about new years. If it goes 'bad' it'll make for a pretty shitty evening (not to mention all the future new years which will remind you of it). Thats what my shrink told me when I wanted to come out at the start of this week.

We're all rooting for you.:eusa_clap

5. Lotty

Well, here's what I did. I sent my friends a text message saying that I had to tell them something important, and that, if I didn't mention it, they should bring it up. I would've chickened out the next day, but they kept pushing me, demanding to know. So I told them.
    So I think you should mention that you want to tell her something before you actually get there. That way you'll make her curious, and she'll stop you from chickening out.

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2010 at 12:47 AM ----------

Well, here's what I did. I sent my friends a text message saying that I had to tell them something important, and that, if I didn't mention it, they should bring it up. I would've chickened out the next day, but they kept pushing me, demanding to know. So I told them.
    So I think you should mention that you want to tell her something before you actually get there. That way you'll make her curious, and she'll stop you from chickening out. Good luck