1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is me in a partially confused/chest cold/half asleep state posting uselessly.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Dec 26, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

What's the point of getting your friend something if they dont say thank you?

a week or so before Xmas, I bought a bunch of stuff, wrapped it, stuffed it into 6 seperate mailing envelopes and sent it off to six different places in north america for my not within walking distance friends.

My friend in Manitoba, let's call her T got hers 2 days ago, and informed me over facebook this morning. But it wasn't: Thank you so much for the nintendo candy and other random shit that you knew I'd like! it was: ...now i feel bad for not getting you anything.

wtf.

I dont expect presents in return. I give pressies cause I like the person im giving them to.

Anyway, happy boxing day, I'm going to work today. Kill me.

2. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: This is me in a partially confused/chest cold/half asleep state posting uselessly

Some people... it makes you wonder how they were brought up :-/

A friend of mine had his birthday on the 24th, so I got him a present and gave it to him the weekend before. He wanted to wait to open it, that's fine. I was really excited to have him open it, because I thought it was something he would really like. So the 24th comes around, I finally get a call from him. I pick up and say "happy birthday!" and he says "oh thanks--I have a question about baking, how do you..." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: This is me in a partially confused/chest cold/half asleep state posting uselessly

I sometimes have the same feeling with my brother. When he gets something, he opens it, nods, says "nice" in a somewhat disinterested tone, and then either opens the next present or goes on doing other things...

It's only when I see him actually using the stuff I've given him a lot that I know he appreciates it. Or sometimes I hear from other people that he brags about the awesome presents he got.

I just put it down to people being uncomfortable with showing emotions or appreciation, sometimes. We usually assume that appreciation speaks for itself, and overestimate how obvious our reactions are. Probably your friend thought her guilt at not getting you something spoke about her gratitude as well. I'm sure that she really was happy to get the stuff you sent her!

4. starfish

I'm a lot like flips brother when it comes to gifts. I'm uncomfortable showing emotion around my family so I am damn near a robot around them. So when I get a gift ohh cool thanks and go on.

So it could just be something like that.

5. Fintan

I am the same way. But I wish I could be more open/comfortable about it. I still wonder whether I hide my emotions because -- while I was in the closet I didn't want to raise suspicions that I might be gay. Now that I am out..... I'd like to be warmer.

6. MusicIsLife

It might be but she didnt even say thank you, and she doesnt unless I hint at her that she hasnt and shes being rude. I don't ask for much, I just want a thank you in return.