1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home alone on new years =(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Scandinavian, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Scandinavian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My best friend is in Paris over new years, and all my other friends is skiing up in the mountains. My parents and my sisters are attending a new years party @ friends. And I have nowhere to go, so I guess i'm goanna be home alone.
    And to me it is the sadest day in the year to be all alone. What should I do? any fun games you can play by yourself? :s
    I hate being alone... what should I DO?
    and, no I'm not joining my family, I love them, but those friends are just annoying :S

what can I do?:help:

2. TheWanderer

Read a book. I wish I was able to read a book on new years but, unfortunately I will be working.

3. browneyedboy

Are these family friends? could you not go to them aswell?

4. Eleanor Rigby

Can't you attending the same New Year's partu your parents and siblings are going to ?
    Otherwise, you can volunteer in some kind of organisation to visite child in hospitals, or old people, or to provide food to homeless people. That would be a very generous and selfless way to start the New Year.
    Take care, Cécile

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've ended up alone on many days when I was "supposed" to be with other people - New Years, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, you name it. And I've never felt majorly bummed about it. Why? Because it meant I get to spend the day in the exclusive company of somebody I really like - because I really like me. Not in that egotistical, I'm-better-than-everyone sort of way. But realizing that nobody likes the exact same stuff I like as much as me, and a day alone means a day of doing whatever the hell I want without having to think (never mind worry) about whether other people will find it fun, interesting or cool.

So give it some thought. What DO you like?

* Reading? Go get a bunch of new books, either at the bookstore or at the library. Maybe toss in some old favorites, or try some genres you've never tried before. Put on some quiet music if you'd like, and have a reading marathon.

* Video games? Pull out all your old favorites, and maybe splurge on a couple new ones. Try out a couple new games you'd heard about but never got around to trying.

* Movies/TV? Pull out your favorites, rent some new ones, or check out some new stuff on youtube.

* Cooking? Call it cooking day. Clean the kitchen the day before, and try out a bunch of new recipes.

For food (if it's not cooking day), go to the store and stock up on your favorite foods, especially those you haven't had in a while. Old comfort foods from your childhood are fun.

Don't make this a self-pity party. This is YOUR day to do whatever the hell YOU want to do. So do it already. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Even though everyone else is spending time with someone else, there is no reason as to why you can't have a great day. As Lex said, do the things you like doing, and get a real kick out of them. This is your chance to do things that you might not have gotten to yet.

On days where I am by myself or have nothing planned for, I go for a walk, or I go to downtown and just stroll around, stop at my favourite bookstore, have a browse through the books, get a coffee with a dessert and observe people walking past the windows. When I'm back, I pop in a movie that I like and just watch that.

And this....

.... I have done that! I'd just add some chocolate on the side and I'm good to go! :slight_smile:

How do I feel afterward? Great! :slight_smile:

So, do the things you like doing on that day. Make it your day! (*hug*)