1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I love you"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostandFound, Dec 30, 2010.

1. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

How long does it usually take people to say "I love you" in a relationship? Does there come a point in time where in a relationship, if you feel like you just can't say it, it becomes necessary to just end it?

2. Miyaga

it depends, whenever i was in love it just came over me, I love this man. It is rather difficult to say though. I was really scared, thoughts race through your head, your heart is pounding, its really intense.

The question isn't if it becomes necessary to end it, rather Its do you love him?, or if you are not there yet do you see your self loving him?

the time it takes can vary, and there are many variables to take into consideration so there really isn't a exact date.

can you elaborate on the relationship? or was this a hypothetical question?

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend said "When you feel like it's obvious to everybody anyway. Oh, and when you can fart in front of them." That pretty well sums it up. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Miyaga

farting is most def a clue

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. Could take a day, a month, or even a year. Could take five. But it just depends on you and your partner and how u feel about each other

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought it officially was: "when you get to go to the toilet while the other one's showering" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In all seriousness, though... there are no rules or timeframes. Much is made in movies and series about "being able to say I love you", but modeling your life on movies and sitcoms is a bad idea in the first place :wink:

You know how many times I heard my parents say "I love you" to each other? Precisely 0 times. It just wasn't a phrase that worked for them. They just had other ways of showing it.
    And in the meantime, I heard some people who said it 1000 times a day, who ended up separating anyway.

So I'd say don't worry, and don't be forced to say anything you're not comfortable to say. Maybe it'll never work for you, despite how much you love him really. But there are countless other ways to contunually say it and show it without using that phrase.

7. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Say it when you mean it truely. :thumbsup: Sounds simple, but wait until that moment, or that time when you just realize that you really love them. Or whenever they tell you they love you. Whichever comes first :slight_smile:

8. Ben

Ben

I really dislike how movies treat saying 'I love you' as being a part of a relationship which has to happen at the right time or else the world will fall apart and the person will leave you because it was an hour too soon. I don't think people put that much weight on the phrase, really.

This girl told me she'd always love me when we'd only spoken a couple of times and I'd never even given her a hint of any reciprocation. Then there are people who rarely, if ever, say it and who lead happy lives together. Showing someone you love them isn't just about uttering some words—anyone can do that, and different people interpret love in different ways. It means a lot more to show your love through caring for them unconditionally.

9. Eleanor Rigby

There is no "have to" when it comes about expressing your feelings. It depends on your personnality, on your partners personnality, on how comfortable you feel with expressing feelings...
    I grew up with parents that were expressing a lot their feelings for each other and for my brother and I. So expressing my feelings is something I do naturaly and saying to my husband that I love him is something I do several times a day. I also easily tell my friends and family that I love them, because I do, and when I do love someone I tell them.
    But if that works for me, that works differently for other people. In 30 years I have never heard my grand-parents saying "I love you" to each other. But it was obvious they did. One of my friend had been with his girlfriend for 15 years now, and he never told her he loves her. He is showing her his love in other ways than words, and it's fine with both of them.
    So the question is not if it is necessary to say "I love you" to your partner. The question is, do you have feelings for him ? And if you do, there is plenty of ways to show him , you just have to find your own.
    Take care, CĂ©cile

10. Holmes

Filip makes a good point about his parents. I've never heard the word used in our house, whether between my parents, or from them to us. But they've been together for 26 years, with no more than average marriage problems.

I said it accidentally to my boyfriend, before he wanted to say it back to me. He'd got a phone message, and asked "Who loves me?" in the way people do when looking at it, and I instinctively answered back. A few weeks later he did say it to me, but in the whole scheme of relationship, our use of that words isn't the most important thing or such as milestone.

A few years ago, I had a girlfriend, and had used the word casually twice, but never in that big emotive way. She didn't tell me that she loved me till after she'd broken up with me and was thinking of seeing someone else. So the word isn't a big signal.

11. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Thanks for the replies. My question has more to do with the feelings than the actual words themselves.

I've never really had a serious relationship before but I've been seeing this guy for a while now but it doesn't really seem, for me at least, to be progressing to anything deeper than good friends.

I have no experience to base anything on so I'm just trying to debate in my mind whether or not it's better to keep waiting to be in love or to just end it. He's a really great guy who I enjoy spending time with but at the same time if I don't love him in that way (and am not sure if I will) am I just being unfair when he loves me.

I've never been in love so I don't know what it feels like or what it means. I can see it in other relationships though and I don't think I feel the same way.

#11 LostandFound, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  12. Just Adam

I say it often as I like expressing my emotion.

I think there is something in being comfortable tho. When totally relaxed and trust each other.

13. Helen

Helen Guest

My boyfriend and I were saying "I love you" to each other from day one of our relationship. However, we knew each other for a whole year before that, and had also become extremely close friends while working out how to tell each other how we felt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Damn us both for being so shy and not doing anything sooner.

I consider love to be a sense of security and comfort more than anything else. I panicked about this at first, because now, 9 months later, I don't ALWAYS feel very lovey-dovey towards him like I used to when we were still in the "honeymoon" stage. We've yet to have a proper argument, but sometimes he annoys me and I annoy him, and sometimes I just don't FEEL like fawning over him, even if he hasn't done anything to annoy me. But I know that I love him, because when I'm with him, even when I'm not in a romantic mood I still always feel safe and carefree. :3