1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out -- Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ToTheCeilingFan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ToTheCeilingFan

I'm almost positive that I'm 100% lesbian, but I'm terrified of telling anyone. I'm not afraid of not being accepted; I have an awesome family and my friends are really supportive. I've come out as bisexual to my family and most of my friends, and they've mostly been fine with it. But I can't bring myself to tell anyone that I'm lesbian because I'm seriously freaked out that my straightness just hasn't kicked in yet and that at some point I'll end up being attracted to guys. Coming out isn't too scary, but if I came out as lesbian and then at some point I started being attracted to guys and had to come out as straight? That would be humiliating.
    Is this normal? Has anyone else felt this way? I know it's illogical, but I can't ignore it. I have no reason to believe that I'll ever be attracted to guys since I've only ever liked girls (with the exception of this dude in my kindergarten class) and guys' bodies just don't appeal to me.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

Yeah, it's totally normal. It's like a very FINAL step, one that seems like it's impossible to undo. Just know that in the rare case that it IS undoable, if the unlikely occurs and you suddenly "get the straights". At least one famous guy was quite militant about his homosexuality...then fell in love with a woman. He just said "Hey, I'm just as shocked about it as you are." :slight_smile:

Lex

3. NordicSpirit

I used to think like that too. I just gave it time and eventually got over it. I came out to a few people and that really helped too. I think its just a part of fully accepting that you're gay. Its scary but you'll get there! :slight_smile: