1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents are homophobes...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jeremy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jeremy

...lame.

I feel like I can't complain though. That and I find it hard to talk about personal situations.... lol. I just sometimes randomly get the feeling of how much it sucks, but the world isn't all about me, so it doesn't really matter too much. Haha xP (Also, yay for run-ons).

That and most of the users who have been here a while have seen just about every bit of advice on here, so theoretically we should have the ability to figure stuff out for ourselves. lol.

2. TheWanderer

Well clearly I haven't been here too long but I will saythat whether or notyou can figure something out yourself might not be the point. There are plenty of things that I have wanted to talk about that I was perfectly capable of figuring out myself

Yay fo iPods... My thumb hurts.

3. Mr.Pushover

That sucks man but they're gonna have to deal with the fact they have a gay son, and either ignore you (it) or accept you (it)

4. Eleanor Rigby

Are you out to your parents ?
    Because you know, some people have preconceived idea about gay people and happened to change their mind and be very accepting when they realize "gay people" are not theoretical persons but their child, siblings or friends.
    Here is a link to a Pflag booklet that might be useful for your parents either now or when you'll decide to come out to them if you haven't done that yet.
    http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Daughters_Sons.pdf

I hope this could be useful.
    Take care, Cécile

5. Just Adam

I kinda agree with El, my family are homophones and I know that but I thought my best mate would hate me, but we had an awkward chat walking on a beach ^^ and well were going out to a club in a bit, ...... I had built up in my head so much negativity that I could only see it going one way when in reality it went completely the other.

Dnt give up hope on them being accepting. It can be tough and it will take time but once confronted with these things and they see nothing much changes then they learn to deal with these things. Its your life and your their son you have to live honestly and be happy and they need to love and support their child.

Take care (*hug*)

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Judging by your out status, your parents presumably know. If they know, and they still give you grief, I'd say - you're 21. Time to build your own life. Move out if you haven't. Start building a network of supportive friends, and they can be your family until your biological family grows up and gets with the program. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Jeremy

Thanks Eleanor! The thing is my mom knows, but I never "officially" told her directly, and she likes to pretend I'm not what I am... lol. I want to send her that pamphlet now, haha. She'd probably hate me though xD And as for my Dad, he's divorced and living elsewhere; I never talk to him anyway.

@Lex: Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm moved out. I've kinda become pretty disconnected from my parents anyway. And yeah, I think I am at the stage where I'm just starting my own thing making new friends and such. I just think it sucks though and maybe kinda hurts just a little bit like for holidays and stuff where I feel obligated to visit and listen to the manipulative dialogue of their duplicitous nature. lol. Oh well. I mean, after all, these experiences eventually do make you stronger.. and maybe more emotionless (which shouldn't be confused with something of negative connotation as a neutral personality mixed with a superficial outline that follows basic sociological expectations of interaction will result in less prejudice and biases as well as a happier individual to whom you are conversing with... which creates several more beneficial opportunities). haha XD or something like that!

8. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Lol, You should send her the pamphlet...=)