1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling awkward after coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 507bro, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 507bro

Last night when I was at a party with my friends. One of the people we met who was gay ask my friends and I, if we were gay. I haven't came out to my friends and I couldn't lie and I stared my friends in the face and I said yes. That party I felt kind of awkward and now I can't get that feeling out of me. It didn't really seem like the right time to come out to them.
    Is there a way to get past the awkwardness?

2. JoeG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    umm..i used to get the same kinda thing a while back.
    it might be best if u, when u next can, pull who ever it is ur close to (from the party) and just say, look, i am wotever it is u are, and u would have told them earlier but nevr found the chance or wot ever, or u not sure ur self.

To be honest its clear the circumstances weren't right for u...thats why u feel awkard and embassrrest possibly?...if u see my point. If ur the one telling instead of being interagated,ull feel bit better.
    U gotta find a way of letting them no when UR ready....by that i mean properly confirming it.
    they will now have an idea 9depending how drunk the situation was)...and as friends do in groups... and will probs discuss it, without u to not hurt ur feelings. i think they and u would feell better if u were honest about it..thats all

3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

This has been happening to me very frequently. Whenever I come out to someone I feel really awkward around them and for some reason I think that they think worse of me now. The best way to get past it is to plough through it, you just have to keep pressing on. For me that meant that I had to keep talking about gay things around my friend until eventually I felt comfortable, otherwise I was just prolonging the awkwardness.

4. Enaithor

I reckon if you just pretend to not feel awkward even if you actually do, you'll eventually stop feeling awkward
    That's what it was like for me anyway

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's going to seem a bit awkward for a bit, simply because you're now in a new position. It's a bit like going to a new school - you're in unfamiliar surroundings. Just keep the lines of communication with your friends open, let them know you're still you, and you're open for questions if they have any. The awkwardness will wear off eventually, just as your "new school" eventually becomes just "your school".

Lex