1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So where is it going?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cloud Nine 5, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Cloud Nine 5

I'm starting to think maybe I'll need therapy after all but I don't have money or a driver's license to go. I'm not crazy about idea too. I'm also always paranoid that the person will know people close to me and not keep quiet. It doesn't seem to get better. Most of the time I'm just pretty sad but then get into really crazy moods that are weird once I snap out of them. I just broke my shoe cause I threw it against the wall. I'm really frustrated. Even drinking is more tiring than comforting right now because I don't sleep a lot so I can't function at school. Even before all of that I couldn't function at school, last year was bad too.

That distraction I tried to take (going to the gym) is no longer a distraction too and now I'm just in a really bad mood at the gym and can't complete workouts with the things I think in my head. Recently I meet people or give them my phone number after 5 words of talking because I want a change. The smallest things push me over the edge. I hate my life.

I hate to make these depressing topics but really I don't know what to do.

#1 Cloud Nine 5, Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi mate

Firstly, don't feel bad about posting. It's what we're here for and if we feel bad about posting what's bugging us, then we'll all get nowhere very fast.

The first move is to talk about it - which you've done by putting on this post. In the UK, therapists are bound not to discuss anything with anybody other than you. The same rules of confidentiality must apply worldwide or they would soon be out of business.

I take it you're probably in your teens as you mention school. A lot of what you're feeling could be (and probably is) down to the stage of life you find yourself in, ie growing up. It's normal for teens to experience mood swings and frustration from one minute to the next. So what you're feeling is normal. However, you shouldn't have to suffer unduly. Are there not some youth counselling services where you are? They're usually free. You say you're not crazy about the idea but you only have to go once or twice to see if it's for you. Help is out there to help you explore what's going through your mind. But you have to make the first move. Perhaps the advice you get from other members may be all that's needed. Keep posting/seeeking advice if it helps as letting it out verbally (by posting) is
    good therapy.

Good luck.

3. Cloud Nine 5

Thanks.

I'm 17. It's not just an adolescence thing or whatever... it's been going for years and I actually have things to be mad about.

Therapists are not allowed to talk about anything here, but you know how things are.. let's say I married a woman (I'm gay but maybe there's something for women somewhere.. there was when I was younger) and her mother ended up being my therapist. Would she not tell her daughter to stay away? Her daughter won't have to specify what she knows but she'd know. That's just a crazy example because I don't plan to get married at all but you get the point. Maybe I'm just paranoid but if I don't feel good about it then can it really work?

I don't know of a free service around here. I have a counselor at school but I don't know if I trust her because she's in touch with my teacher and both tried to see what's going on with me. So I can't trust her.

4. Jim1454

Counsellors at school aren't the same as seeing a therapist... not sure about the rules about confidentiality at school. But if you were to see a therapist, they would be required to not disclose anything about you. The risk of that happening is very low compared to the benefits that you could probably get from seeing someone to get some help.

Even if you can't see a therapist, what about your family doctor? If you're feeling bad all the time, perhaps you need some help in the form of medication? I know a lot of people don't like the idea of using medications to alter their moods, but I'm pretty sure it's better than trying alcohol! You might be amazed at how much better you'd feel. Your doctor might also be able to refer you to someone else that is local for you to talk to...

Are you willing to go and speak to your doctor? They are also required to maintain patient / doctor confidentiality! Keep us posted.

5. Cloud Nine 5

I can't go to the family doctor, that's embarassing. His assistant that prints the prescriptions knows my mother.

I thought about antidepressants too. Maybe using them for a while would be good TEMPORAILY just to get things going when I'm on them and then stop. It's not a chemical imbalance thing with me or something I'll need for a long time, it's stuff I can work out with a less negative mind. But then I also think it's pretty lazy to just get on meds when I can meet new people and force myself to live and do things and MAKE it get better.

Antidepressants sound surreal anyway. How can it make me forget what I'm depressed about? The weight gain, too.. I'm not sure.

6. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I know antidepressants helped me for years,wouldn't even think about what I had myself stirring over day in and day out.If you were to take tem it would be best not to take them and just stop cause then its possible you'll just crash.If you do take them,do so until you feel you don't need them,with not having those same situations that got you to that point in the first place.You'd never get a g/f or b/f mother as a therapist,it would be against your best interests.I know I used to workout to take my mind off of things,until it stopped working,then i was drinking to forget,to relax,whatever,and I soon realized that antidepressants and drinking had no answer for me and so I stopped using both,and I am better for it.

7. justjoshoh

It sounds like that you would like help, want to stay off medications if possible, and don't have the resources to seek help from a professional therapist. Have you considered using a member of the clergy, be it your own clergy person or one from a different parish/sect/religion? There are gay accepting religious institutions that may be able to help.

8. Jim1454

HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO IMPROVE YOUR SITUATION?!?!?!? SO WHAT IF IT'S EMBARASSING GOING TO YOUR DOCTOR? SO WHAT IF YOUR MOTHER FINDS OUT THAT YOU'RE ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS? YOU'RE DEPRESSED, AREN'T YOU? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? :bang:

I'm sorry that I'm coming across as frustrated - that's because I am! If you think it's easier to meet new people and do new things without the meds than with them, then why aren't you doing just that? And you don't gain weight just because you're on antidepressants. I've LOST weight - because I'm able to focus on eating properly and making the time for exercise.

I just don't have anything else to offer as suggestions. Maybe other's can pick up where I've left off. Good luck!

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you are really bothered about going to the family doctor, can you go to a different one? In the UK we can go to doctors at a different practice if we want to (it helps to have your NHS number but it's not essential).

It does sound a bit like you are trying to find excuses for yourself to do nothing about it. :frowning2:

JayHew can give more info about antidepressants. As I understand it they help to restore the chemical balance in your brain which has got a bit out of whack due to the depression. This helps your brain work more normally and helps you deal with the issues more rationally - especially if you can get some time with a good therapist or some other support to help clear things up too. They should only be a short-term treatment I think - a year or two maximum. The doctor can discuss any side-effects. There are several different ones and the doctor should be able to sort out which ones are right for you.

10. panda

Here's another road you may want to try.It's called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.It's a recognized treatment for mood disorders,anxiety,depression.It works!!It's on the internet!!
    "Depressioncenter.net" will give you some answers.It's not you that's off, it's the way you think and that can be changed.Good luck..

11. panda

Also, I am not a Doctor. But CBT is now a recognized treatment all over the world used by doctors and therapists

12. Cloud Nine 5

Antidepressants sound good (too good) but then it can get much worse when I'm not on them anymore. That's why I'm still trying to fix it naturally but somehow I don't know if that could happen. I can't stop thinking about bad things and it's hard to hide that my life sucks anymore. I used to hide it but now I can't. As for the religion offer... thanks but I think that was part of my problem in the first place and right now I'm not a fan of religions.

SO WHAT IF YOUR MOTHER FINDS OUT THAT YOU'RE ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS? Because she'll use it against me when it's time (I already asked for a psychologist a year ago and she made fun of that when we had a fight) and even if she doesn't I don't want to give her the idea to connect that with being gay and a freak. I know I can just not give a damn but I do.. once she knows about me and she's all disgusted, I'd rather it look like I know what I'm doing and I'm happy with it.

Maybe it sounds like I'm making excuses... a lot of the time that's the case cause I'm already so used to this feeling. But I think in this case if anything I'm a little too paranoid. I am with other things.

I have no idea if I can go to a different doctor. That could be good. I have that "patient card" or whatever he always uses when I go to see him so I don't think I could go to someone else with that card.

As for Jerry and Cognivite Behavioual Therapy, he already suggested I should be on antidepressants for a while while I'm in therapy. I'd only have money for one session. =/

13. Cloud Nine 5

Panda, I just realized the website you gave actually had a free program. I'm reading it now, it's interesting and I'm going to join. Thanks.

14. panda