1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acceptance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 12tonowhere, Jan 5, 2011.

1. 12tonowhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is there a difference between someone not judging you for being gay and actually being okay with homosexuality i.e. not thinking its wrong snd disgusting etc

2. Pragmatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if they're well informed about the negativity (usually brought on by associating with suspected homosexuals) surrounding anything LGBTQ and they still choose to not judge you, that's called acceptance. When they think for themselves, that's called critical thinking. Those are good traits in anyone. However, if they don't know its 'wrong' then I don't think it's the same. It's more along the lines of ignorance. Although depending on where you live and your cultural norms, it can be viewed differently.

That's just my two cents.

3. Paper Heart

I think that the question you posed is the tolerance vs acceptance debate. Tolerance is simply allowing you to be who you are, though you may have a differing opinion, while acceptance is encouragement and support.

So yes, there is a difference in that situation.

4. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll add my thoughts to this, being of the heterosexual persuasion. Two main views here, my own and those I've seen in people around me.

Personally, I see no difference between tolerance and acceptance of gay people and the rest of the LGBTQ community.

I never judge people on their sexuality or their expression of their gender, I don't see a reason to; your sexuality makes up a tiny part of the whole you, if I enjoy your company why would I care or be bothered if you're a guy who likes dick / girl who likes pussy / guy who likes wearing feminine clothing etc etc etc? It doesn't matter to me in the slightest. It's just part of what makes life worth living, to interact and love everyone for who they are. In other words, if we were all straight, never did anything wacky or outside what might be considered "normal" in that social context, the world would be a very dull place indeed.

I'm very okay with homosexuallity, hell, I think it's just fabulous! (!) But I know, first hand that not being, acting or looking straight, can be greeted with a lot of negativity (to say the least!). I have short hair and I've met people who think I'm a lesbian and have treated me as such, based purely on that fact, but that's a story for another time.

In my friendship circle, I've realised that I keep company with either people who are 1) accepting and tolerant of LGBTQ people, like myself or 2) don't judge and like the person but just think it's "weird", to use a word that comes up a lot when we talk about it. I think in the latter case, I'll use my boyfriend as an example, he's put himself in the shoes of being gay and what it would feel like to like other guys and this is what he finds "weird"; it's just an alien concept and something he can't quite get his head around, but he doesn't mind it if he get along with gay people (he's chilled with my gay friends).

So to sum up, I've realised I sort of rambled here, I don't have any problems with homosexuality, but I know others can be non-judgemental of that person but might just be uncomfortably with it, or very judgemental and see it as something very wrong and unnatural, or somewhere between those two. I think there is a difference, but it depends on the person.

5. hangabazoo

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's a big difference between accepting the individual and accepting the concept. When someone accepts the individual, it implies they are accepting them 'in spite of' their homosexuality. Accepting the concept is a whole other level. I think if someone is to accept you entirely, they have to accept the concept...

Tolerance, in my mind, masks a lack of acceptance. I'd rather know someone's true, entire views. If someone tolerates me, that's a start, but until they fully accept me, I think they have a lot of work to do. I'm not going to pat someone on the back for merely 'putting up' with me.

On the subject of 'weirdness' of homosexuality... I have to reverse it so i can speak from experience... I can find the prospect of me dating a woman 'weird', or unnatural for me personally, but that doesn't mean I see heterosexuality as weird... I think there's a big difference there.

Those are my views and feel to disagree!

6. titaniumCloset

Yes definitely. Some people will be accepting, meaning they won't talk shit and they'll try to help you with your life while being a gay person. However, that doesnt mean they dont think it's wrong, sinful or "gross". I think some people, even those I consider a friend think like this. They know I'm gay, are okay with that, we're still great friends, but I bet they think me being gay is gross or somehow wrong. They'd never say it to me though because of that being rude and essentially killing our friendship.