1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated about school...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jan 6, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

So it seems I really can't make up my mind when it comes to school.

I was sure I needed (not wanted--needed) to go to University to get a decent job. I don't want to, but I felt like I had to. But this evening I stumbled across a trade school in the area that offered all sorts of Artsy-Fartsy programs from Video Editing to Pro Photography and more.

My key interest is in the Graphic Design program, and I dabbled in it when I first went to college in fine arts, but now I'm hesitating, because the last time I went into a program like this (Last time it was Digital Music and Sound recording) I failed miserably.

I'm not sure what to do, I requested information about the program, and the thought of being able to do pro graphic design is exciting, but what if I mess up again? thats another couple thousand bucks down the toilet.

I'm not sure what kind of advice I'm asking for here, I just feel like I need some direction, but no one will give it to me :/

2. Dan82

I’d make sure to research the program to make sure it’s legitimate and that the people who complete are able to find jobs in their field; many of those programs leave people who complete them with nothing more than debt. I’m not sure what the system is in Canada, can you study Graphic Design at a university there?

3. xequar

Oh creative fields... So much promise of fun, but so hard to land a steady gig. Trust me, I have a Television degree.

Anyways, first things first. Check out to see what the deal with this trade school is. Are they legitimate? Do they have any assistance for placing grads in jobs? Are they regarded as a good school or do those in the field look down on grads from that school?

Second, take some time to seriously consider if you want to be a graphic designer. Have you always been interested in art and creative stuff? How stable is the Canadian graphic design market, and do you think you have a decent chance at landing a gig? What freelance opportunities exist, and is doing freelance work appealing or even palatable to you? Sure, it might seem interesting at a cursory glance, but take some time to think about whether it will *remain* interesting once you get into the job market and see the bad aspects of the biz alongside of the enjoyable fun stuff.

As for being worried about failing, well, there's not much anyone else can do about that. That one is all on you. But, if the thing you're doing is sufficiently interesting, it should help keep you motivated and on task.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Xe brings up a good point. A lot of what people find interesting about graphic design before they get into it is the creative aspect of it. But a lot of that shine wears off when they enter the force and realize that 1. they usually have to take any job that comes their way, whether it's interesting or not, and 2. the client has the biggest say on what the final design looks like.

For instance, say a pharmaceutical concern wants you to design a program for their upcoming seminar, and they like the way the last two years' programs looked, with the smiling doctors in their white coats, so they want something along those lines. Still interested in the gig? :slight_smile:

You might try tracking down some people who do graphic design. See if you can pick their brain for a half hour or so (take them to lunch), or see if they'll answer some questions via e-mail. Find out about their schooling, how they get their gigs, how much creativity they can put in, and how much they enjoy their work. You might get a better feel for the gig.

Lex