1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friend knows? Should I tell?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snow21, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Snow21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My best friend is like my brother, but he's really homophobic. He teases me a lot and calls me anything gay related. He'll also play with me sometimes and pet me and make gay jokes. I haven't told anyone about me, & I really wanna tell him. One time I said 'i don't know if I should tell you something..' & before I finished he said 'you better not be coming out.' but he also teases me about how straight I am. Im so confused..

2. midwestblues

It sounds like part of him already knows, and if he's your best friend then I think you should tell him. Just because he's called you a fag while joking around doesn't mean he'll disown you if you tell him.

3. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I think you should tell him. He may think you are, and even if he doesn't...I think you will feel better letting him now...
    I think you may want to tell others first. As he is close to you and in case he rejects you being gay, you will need support.

4. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds a lot like one of my better friends that I came out to. If you're comfortable with him knowing, I think you should tell him. However, expect him to have a lot of questions and switching between stages of grief. It may or may not be awkward for a while(For many reasons, be it your sexuality or him feeling guilty about comments in the past, etc.) but, with time, he should become more accepting. If he's a close friend, I doubt you'll lose him, but it may take time for him to fully accept you(It took my friend almost 9 months before things were back to "normal").

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

He knows. Go ahead and tell him, so you can get beyond that stuff. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. titaniumCloset

I'd say I have 3 very very good friends, we all went to the same elementary school together. One of them always made gay jokes towards me, seemed like a huge homophobe all the time, etc. When I ended up coming out, that one friend is the one who was the most shocked but also the most accepting and then apologized for making gay jokes, etc.

So really, just don't think because he makes gay jokes he hates gay people or wouldnt be your friend anymore. That's what I thought as well and it turned out to be not true.

7. Snow21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice guys it all really helps completely :') I'm just really scared to try and tell him just in case he tells other ppl or bashes me. He calls everything negative gay etc; I don't wanna be a downer I'm just scared. He told me he's never been mad at me ever for anything today, I don't know..