1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please have a read. Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RaeofLite, Jan 11, 2011.

1. RaeofLite

I was uncertain whether I should post here or in the anonymous section,but I decided to post here instead.

I have grappled with depression on and off. It's getting worse again even though I have stopped abusing substances and alcohol for over two months now. I'm even on SSRI's but they seem to be working less and less.

I keep searching for jobs with my qualifications but it feels hopeless. I lack self confidence and have boughts of social anxiety. Some days I have trouble following through with plans I make with friends because even though I know they're good friends, I feel like I would rather be alone, even though most times, I know I would ultimately feel better if I spent time with them.

I live with my parents at the moment. I am still grappling with the fact that I have been raped twice. By two different men, two different years. When I told my parents I'd been raped (which was super hard to do), they said that I should have learned better after the first time. My mom even said that I should have deserved it and probably even liked it. My parents keep urging me to get a job but I'm n ot sure how to go about that when my self confidence is running on empty and I feel like I'm about to burst with anger and saddness all the time.

I can't help but hold grudges from the fact that my parents don't seem to understand or care about how much it hurt the fact that I was raped twice, and the fact that their comments feel like aches from knife wounds to my heart.

I have made appointments with counselors but I can't seem to keep them for fear of people (social anxiety) and the fear, pain and shame of my ordeals.

Last week was really bad... and I ended up crying on a road trip to see my friends and thinking extremely dark thoughts. I somehow think that's the only way to ease my pain. I have no clue what I should be doing.

2. Mogget

If you're feeling too depressed to get to a counselor, I recommend calling a crisis line. They can give you some immediate therapy (which you need), and help you get the courage to go to your therapist.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

This, especially since (I think) they can be anonymous which might make it a little bit easier to open up. And you can talk a little bit about what's been plaguing you lately which is a little bit cathartic. Also, I would urge you to interact with your parents as least as humanly possible until you can sort everything out. Even if in the big picture they're good people, right now they're toxic to your situation and self esteem. If they keep nagging you to get a job say something like, "I'm working on it, but first I need to take care of some things." Because it's true. Right now you need to focus on you and not so much what others want you to do.

4. Eleanor Rigby

Hey sweetheart (*hug*),

first thing I am so sorry you're in such a pain (*hug*).
    I completly get how you feel. It's not something I have ever talked about on EC, but I've been sexualy abused by my very first boyfriend when I was 12. The circumstances were very differente from what you had to go through, but I understand how much it hurts.
    Whatever your parents and especially your mother are saying, none of this is your fault.
    When it comes about sexual abuse, there is no "you should have known better". You're not responsible for any of these rapes.
    Your parents attitude toward this is very inappropriate and hurtful. It's more than normal that you hold them a grudge for such a lack of support.
    You need to get some help to deal with what you had to go through and to be able to rebuilt your self-esteem. Starting a therapy is the best thing you can do for yourself right now.
    Try to take a new appointment and ask a friend you trust to come with you.
    I know it's difficult, when I started therapy, I was vomiting before every single appointements at first, but it definitly saved my life.
    As Liam and Dereck told you, don't hesitate to call a crisis line either, if possible one that is specialized in dealing with rape's victims. The people who answer those helplines know what you're going through and will be able to help you.
    Keep holding on sweetheart (*hug*) No matter how dark things seem to be for now, it can get better. Unfortunatly, nothing can undo the fact you've been raped, but you can learn how to live with those memories.
    If there is anything I can do, if you have any questions, or if there is anything you want to talk about, feel free to PM me anytime.
    Don't give up, (*hug*) Cécile

5. adam88

Hang in there. (*hug*) I know what it's like, with the social anxiety and the depression at once. Find someone you can trust to talk to - a therapist is a great start. Talking it out will help, even just to let it out for once.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*) I'm sorry to hear about what you have gone through.

As it was mentioned, please talk to someone, such as a counselor. Talking about things and not letting them inside of you will help. Start to talk about one things, and try to address things slowly. As you start talking about one thing, you might find that you are starting to address some of the other things as well. (*hug*)

As Cecile mentioned, you are not at fault for having been raped. Maybe mention to your mom that what she is saying is hurtful and how this makes you feel. If you have to, say it several times, because your mom needs to be supportive and help you through this.

If you want I could help you in your job search. I'll PM you some information that could be useful.

Hang in there. (*hug*)

7. RaeofLite

You guys are amazing. Thank you... (*hug*) Much love.

8. straal1972

I give you permission to hold a grudge against them. There behaviour is abominable. I'm a parent and I can't understand that attitude. Let your anger towards them be the least of your problems for now. Work on yourself in other ways, you can always come back to this at some later time when your strounger in yourself.

9. JesseGeek

Out Status:
    All but family
    First of all, I admire you for coping so far, and having the strength to stop abusing substances. You have been through a lot, and it takes amazing courage to even book a counsellor, so well done and continue to be strong. (*hug*)

I've had depression and contemplated suicide, and I know the feeling of wanting to avoid people your closest to. You're right in thinking that in the long run you'll feel better by spending time with them, but I completely understand the anxiety of going to meet them, and I've never even been diagnosed with social anxiety. Maybe you could try little-by-little contact with them. It doesn't even have to be face-to-face, just giving them a ring would by a great way of spending quality time with them. Also, have you considered meeting in environments which you can control or feel safe in? Eg, asking a friend around to your house or, if you feel your parents don't make you feel safe, perhaps at the house of a friend you trust, just for the day if you wouldn't be comfortable staying over. After that, could move to a favourite hangout you're familiar with, eg a favourite coffee bar or restaurant, when you feel ready.

Another system you may want to try is a buddy/chaperone system. A friend of mine who developed depression after her particularly toxic relationship with her ultra-manipulative girlfriend ended. She developed social phobia and was afraid of going into town, so I offered to come with her whenever she wanted to go out, as a sort-of protector figure, on the understanding that I would intervene in situations where she felt threatened and if she ever felt uncomfortable or overwhelmed in a public place we would leave immediately. If you have a friend (or friends) who you trust I would strongly recommend this. The good thing about this is that it also gets you out spending time with a friend and feels very normal and safe, as you're just hanging out in town together, and it gives you the confidence to be around people again.

Don't feel hopeless about your job search, remember, even if nothing's coming up, it is in no way your fault, there's a recession on so employers are downsizing rather than recuiting. If anything, even getting to interview is a huge achievement in such a competitive environment. Don't get disheartened, keep trying and the best of luck! :slight_smile:

I agree hugely with everyone else; the rapes aren't your fault at all, and your parents are being far from helpful to say the least. I would say avoiding them as much as possible is a good idea, and talking to a crisis line/councelor and focusing on more supportive people such as friends so you feel as good about yourself as you deserve to. In the (very very) long term, I would recommend moving in with very good friends when you're ready, as it's amazing what a positive environment can do you your head.

I hope things improve for you as soon as possible, (*hug*) and :goodluck: