1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I be bipolar?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ANightDude, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ANightDude

Something I never really thought about before until recently.

So for over a year now I've been suffering from depression, mostly. I'm not sure how normal it is to be experiencing it for this long, but it's continuation is what is making me think. I've been doing some research and putting things together.

I will go through periods of sadness at least once a day. There are few days I don't have it, but for the most part, it's nearly every day. Then after a while (the time varies) I'll be normal again, but not just normal, VERY happy. Suddenly I feel as if I'm on top of the world and nothing can bring me down, then I'll suddenly feel sad again and hating myself, then happy. And now recently (actually, now that I think about it, it's been happening before) I've been having anger outbreaks. Not nearly every day, but it's gotten to the point I began to trash my room, and I've done that twice, get extremely frustrated, sad, happy, angry, etc. It's a never ending cycle that I can't seem to escape from. The feelings just never last more than a day before the next one starts kicking in. I'm pretty sure this can't be normal at all.

Extreme sadness/depression, anger, happiness, frustration, etc. And it's all in the same day. Seriously, what is happening to me? This never used to happen to me before. Can someone shed some light on this, please? Thank you.

2. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Hey, AnightDuDe, you may be experiencing Bipolar Disorder or Cyclothymia(Which with age, usually by your late teens, may develop into Bipolar Disoder).
    It does seem like you are experiencing manic episodes( I do not know to what extent these are...since, little info is given), which sometimes occur after Major Depression and are also signs of Bipolar Disorder... uhm, however, for me to say YOU are Bipolar would be naive, because to give a diagnosis takes a lot of information.
    Also, most of the time do not relay on self-diagnosis concerning your mental state.. these are usually leagues far off. Like... I could go and study the Personality Disorders the symptoms would qualify a lot of people for medical help... and I could also make myself believe I am Schizotypal(As the symptoms fit with my personality=(...
    I would recommend for you to seek help, for any disorder for it to be qualify as a "Disorder" it must bring "sufficiently severe to cause difficulty or impairment in occupational, social, educational or other important functioning."
    To feel better you should go to a Psychologist or Counsellor, to have Depression for so long... is :icon_sad:.
    In my opinion all that sums up to, if it worries you in any way regardless of whether it impairs functioning, seek help( And someone who actually has a PhxD Aka, not me).

And btw,
    http://www.minddisorders.com/A-Br/Bipolar-disorder.html
    This is a great website, the information there is reliable. Usually referenced from the DSM-IV and other sources. I use the website almost all the time for my classes; I am not supposed to...bt :slight_smile:(I'm Psyc Major).
    Manic Episodes:
    "A manic episode is characterised by period of time where an elevated, expansive or notably irritable mood is present, lasting for at least one week."
    But if Cyclothymia is present... the manic episodes are confusing as they cycle and usually do not last a week, but rather a day. However, the manic episode's are consistent throughout the week.

PS: I like your Hair!! :slight_smile:

3. Root

I am on 3 psychiatric meds; an anti-psychotic, anti-depressant and a bezno.

I have no diagnoses and don't need one - I just need my psychiatrist and meds :slight_smile:

Get some real help, but try not jump on the med-go-round if you don't have to. Teenage years are a naturally moody time.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a great piece of advice. I would add to it that no one who is not a qualified psychotherapist, clinical social worker, or other trained individual should be offering up any sort of diagnostic information, or even suggestions of such, based on scant information in a posting on a message board. The reason for this is it is really easy to steer someone into a depression or mindset of believing they have something serious when they may not at all.

For ANightDude, I'd say it's possible something is going on that might require some attention, but it's equally possible that you are experiencing a somewhat intensive version of normal teen angst. The mood swings, anger, and pretty much everything you mentioned could be explained by the normal crazy rush of mid-teen hormones. And as medical students are always told, when you hear hooves, think horses not zebras. :slight_smile:

"Modern" medicine has a tendency to grossly overmedicate people. And if you go to a psychiatrist, I can all but guarantee s/he will put you on one or another meds for your symptoms, because that's pretty much all that psychiatrists do. When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. But you may not need that, and if you can avoid being medicated, it's a lot better for you in the long run.

What you might want to do is talk to your school guidance counselor, psychologist, or social worker and discuss what's going on. If it's an option for you to see a therapist (a psychologist or social worker, NOT a psychiatrist) then that would be a good option too. But don't jump to conclusions and get freaked out, because it's very possible that you're just going through a rather intense, but normal, stage in your psychological development, and it will work itself out perhaps with some therapy or just time.

5. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

What Chip said is unfortunately true.
    Psychiatrist relay heavily on Inhibitors... It is easier to take the short route to fix a problem for some, rather than take time and give long term advice. Also, you make more $ just spending 15mins and send the person away and get the next one, and not spend the actual clinical session(50mins)...
    And the meds... Are not the best, they have a large amount of side effects. Such as antidepressants; they make you gain weight, lose your sexual drive, and other stuff.

And Root, by law you are required to have some form of diagnosis... Otherwise, the Psychiatrist is illegally inscribing meds...>.<

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember that Root is not in the US. His laws may differ from ours.