1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Uniforms for Transgender (Androgynous)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GeekGirl97, Jan 18, 2011.

1. GeekGirl97

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm going back to school soon (I live in Australia) and I need to buy a new school uniform. I've only recently realised that I'm trigender. Not many people know (read: only my bestfriend knows) of my gender identity.
    My problem is that my school is pretty strict when it comes to uniforms. Girls have a shirt and skirt, and guys have a shirt and pants. I don't feel comfortable in a skirt. I was thinking maybe getting permission to wear sports uniform, but I don't know how to do that without raising suspicion. Even then, sports uniform consists of shorts (which I am super self-conscious in because I look like a girl) or trackpants (way too hot).
    The only thing I'd br comfortable in really as bottoms are jeans. Which is impossible. My only hope is that I could go to the psychologist, and she would probably be able to get me permission to wear sports uniform.
    Any tips or other ideas?
    **Sidenote: what should I tell my mum because she insists that I wear skirts and dresses often, without letting her know that I'm trigender?**

2. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most schools with gender specific uniforms tend to be very anal about said uniforms, especially in some parts of Australia, sometimes even having a uniform hairstyle. I know that my cousin has to wear her hair in twin braided ponytails. Fortunately I've never been in such a school, I only ever had to put up with colour codes and uniform polo shirts, so I don't know much about how tightly controlled things are. If you have a school counsellor you may be able to talk to them about it, and they may be able to do something about the issue.
    Also, I don't know if this is an issue for you, but in such a tightly controlled uniform system, your gender identity may be more likely to stand out if you were to wear a different uniform.
    In the end though, it may just be that you will have to grin and bear it at school, and change into what you are comfortable wearing when you get home from school.
    But my advice would be to talk to the counsellor, if you have one, and try to work something out. Good luck.

3. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not particularly helpful here, but how do you define "trigender?" Just curious.

4. Bryan90

General rules will always be oppressive to a certain minority. (extreme parellel: murder laws are opressive towards people who have a strong desire to murder).

I hope they can make an exception for you and allow you to wear what you feel comfortable in. But based on the current society, transgenders and transexuals will most definitely encounter A LOT of oppressive laws - and realistically, it's quite impossible to go against ALL of them.

So, I hope all goes well for you, but if it doesnt, I hope you find the courage to lift your head amidst oppression and assert: "What I wear does not define who I am."

5. kwyjibo

School uniform does not get on with tri/bi/trans gendered people. I'd advise you to see someone at school who can talk about this sort of thing

6. Danielle

Danielle Guest

If you go to a public school in NSW then the school must respect your gender identity and allow you to wear what you wish.

7. maverick

I don't really have any advice for you, as I know nothing about the Australian school systems, but I do want you to know that I feel for you, that's a terrible situation to be in. I can't even imagine being forced to wear a skirt every day. My mom has tried to force me to wear feminized clothing ever since I was young, so I know that's got to be tough for you because we battled about it all the time when I was your age.

Also, if you push for anything, I'd probably push for getting to wear the guy's uniform. You could argue that a shirt and pants are both very much unisex by current clothing standards, and that wearing a skirt makes you uncomfortable. Also, you could emphasize that the uniforms are implemented for the purpose of making students safer, and your request to opt out of the girl's uniform is in compliance with that cause - it's not like you're asking to be allowed to wear street clothes in school, you just don't want to wear a skirt. You would still be in uniform and otherwise in compliance with the school's dress code. Your request is completely reasonable, and it would be unreasonable of them not to at least consider making an exception.

If you feel compelled to bring up your transgenderism, at that point in the game, I would expect to be allowed to wear a more androgynous version of the school's uniform. Not allowing a transperson to express their correct gender is discriminatory and oppressive. It causes unnecessary pain and humiliation.

I know some people would think this is a case of gays wanting "special rights", but this is a concession that wouldn't hurt anyone, and that the OP's peers would probably not even comment on, given their cosmopolitan attitudes.

8. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well have you thought of going to an new school where they are not so strict?

9. Zontar

I am not entirely familiar with the state of mind of "trigender." Is this under the umbrella of gender identity disorder, or something different?

10. zoeee

Don't you have pants for girls as well? mabe this would be an option since they would be pants (gender neutral so to say) but not "guy pants" i.e. no one will ask you stuff about it.
    At my school years back this one girl really wanted to have pants and got them to change the school policy and now girls are allowed to wear pants, too. they have specific ones in the uniform shop.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

When she was little, my sister used to have some really bad allergies that would show up all over her legs and look really nasty. My mom simply told the school about the situation and she was allowed to wear pants for school until she got better.

I don't know which excuse you can use, but I do know that its possible. Talking to your psychologist would be helpful since she has more authority.

Good luck :slight_smile:

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would definitely get your psychologist to write a note to the school but be prepared to answer questions. People are going to ask why you are wearing pants.