1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some help for my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nolarka, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Nolarka

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This problem isn't really LGBTQ related, but I've kind of been concerned lately.
    For years my best friend has always been skinny... I'm pretty sure she's had her eating disorder all throughout her life. And I know why she does, she's been through so much pain throughout the years, and the reason why she barely eats is so she feels that she has control in her life. It's always been like this (on and off) ever since we've grown into adolescence.

Now she's a freshman in college (I'm still in high school). She's recently diagnosed as lactose intolerant and has to basically eat a vegan diet from now on...
    All she wants to do is eat healthy and lose weight (get down to 90 lbs.), but her definition of "healthy" is to basically eat nothing all day, maybe have some water and crackers.

I have never known what to do about this since I'm her best friend, and I can't help thinking that if I keep silent it might get really bad. On the other hand, though, I feel that if I do try to intervene it won't be much help because she basically knows that I've known about her problem and is too stubborn to really listen...

I'm just confused on how to handle it... There are some awkward moments, like today she visited at school and drank some of my water. She started clutching her stomach after drinking and everyone asked if she was okay. She responded saying that it just hurt to drink water on an empty stomach.

I need some advice on a steady course of action that can help her, even though I feel that there's not much I can do.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I dunno if this is helpful but you should get her to try this

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfESAREsI6o[/YOUTUBE]

3. TheWanderer

Tell someone PLEASE tell someone. Eating disorders are extremely dangerous, both physical and mental. If i were to take a guess it sounds like she is already becoming malnourished. It may seem like your hurting your friendship by telling someone but if she wont listen to you, then going beyond here is the only option I see.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better course of action but don't let this pass by.

4. Ridiculous

^ Yes, tell someone else and get them to confront her on it, if she isn't listening to you.

Also, when you talk to her about it, don't say she is too skinny or too thin. That will only be viewed as a compliment and encourage her. Anorexia is very much linked to control (as you said), so if you tell her she looks sick and unhealthy it will have a much greater effect as these are undesirable and not linked to control at all. This helped recovery for my sister when she suffered from anorexia for 4 years.

5. maverick

Since she won't listen to you, I would report it to a family member. Let the family take care of it, they have a lot more influence and resources than you.

6. Nolarka

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Her family has been helping her. Last year there were a few episodes where she would randomly pass out at school. The mom signed her up at this diet center (after becoming lactose intolerant) so she is basically on a diet to get those nutrients... and she does get them. She'll eat fruit/veggies/or anything else time to time, but she still has that mentality that she needs to lose weight and get under 100... which is really unhealthy.

7. maverick

Hmm. I dunno then, honestly. Anorexia is a really difficult disease for other people to influence in the victim, because it is entirely contained in the mind. Also, barring intravenous fluids, it's pretty much impossible to force-feed people over any persistent length of time.

8. Nolarka

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly. Which comes back to full circle of wondering what I should do... My only thought that comes up is to basically tell her I'm concerned and encourage her to eat healthier portions/keep her weight as it is, since she is obviously fine...

But I feel like she wouldn't listen. :icon_sad: