1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to friends first...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ohioguy05, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ohioguy05

I've been battling for quite a while about how I want to come out to people. My dad is an ultra-conservative Glenn Beck fan who will disown me when he finds out that I am gay. I don't think my other family members will be devestated, just upset that I won't be giving them grandchildren/nephews/nieces. My best friend is extremely homophobic, which will make it interesting when he finds out.
    Still, I just feel that it is time for me to come out of the closet. I want to start dating and I would like to not be in the closet while I am doing so. It is only fair. One of my good friends, who happens to be a girl, is gay friendly and I think she may be my best shot as the first person to come out to. I just want someone to talk to and be honest with, and basically nobody else is able to fit that slot.
    I guess what I am asking is if you guys think it may be a good idea doing this? I know you don't know her, my family, or me, but is it wise to come out to a friend before my best friend or my family? Are there any past experiences that you guys have that can help me out with this? Thank you so much. It has been bothering me so much.

2. TheWanderer

Best ways to come out? Not sure there is one. Probably just your own way. Im still rather in the closet so I cant offer too much here. But, from what I have read your way is the best way. If you can trust your friend and you think she is a viable person to talk to then I dont see a better candidate for the first person you talk to.

Sorry I cant offer more advice. Be strong and stay happy. You will get there when your ready.

3. Miyaga

there really isn't a best way to come out lol. I kinda jumped when i came out it worked for me. I am sure there are many other different ways to do it. best advice do what your heart tells you to. if it feels right then it must be so. :slight_smile:

ps. my mom watches glen like he is jesus or something, she loves that i am gay lol so its not the end of the world :slight_smile:

4. It sounds like your friend is a great candidate to talk about this with. That's what I did when I came out. I told one of my friends who I knew would be cool and keep it quiet until I was ready. Good luck!

5. Beachboi92

If you trust her and feel comfortable telling her then go for it :slight_smile: just make sure you know wether she is either
    A) a person who won't tell anyone if you say not to
    B) a person who you don't mind spreading the word

It is important to trust who you come out to, and i think it would be great for you to have someone to talk to about guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Lotty

I also came out to my best accepting friend first. But that was actually because she didn't stop nagging me about what I wanted to tell. I also made sure that when I told my LGBT-hating best friend, there was another friend in the room.
    Another tip, don't wait for the right time to come out. That doesn't exist.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's usually best to start with people you think will be the most supportive. It'll be a good way to get used to telling people, and you can start building up a support network if you need it later on.

Lex

8. maverick

^ I agree with Lex - I told my best friend first because he's gay and I knew he'd be supportive, then I told my brother who I thought would be supportive, but wasn't 100% sure of, and then I told my parents whom I knew would flip their shit. But by the time I got to my folks, my confidence was so bolstered by having at least two allies that it was a lot less devastating to put up with their initial reaction, which was extremely negative (both uber-conservative like your folks).

9. straal1972

Echoing what Lex and Maverick say.

10. volleyren

Echo, echo, echo. Just like a difficult exam, start with the easier, less risky parts to boost your confidence. That way, when you do come out to your parents, you have some support waiting in the wings to help get you through should your parents not take it well.

That said, when I came out to my parents, since one of my cousins had already known for a few years, my rather conservative father was a bit offended that I'd come to her first. My mother, however, understood that he and I haven't really had the best of relationships when it comes to "talking things out," and that having a support network already in place when you get to telling the more difficult ones can be invaluable.

Agreed. If you're worried about your parents' reaction just to coming out, it would likely be worse if dating in the closet were to somehow go well and you suddenly came home with a boyfriend out-of-the-blue. Ultimately, I decided it wasn't worth it to keep the rest of my life "on hold" just to delay coming out to my parents. I'm still not out to many people, but at least I feel freer to start pursuing dating opportunities without fear of immediate reprisal at home.

In any case, the best of luck to you!

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best person to come out to first is the person you feel most comfortable coming out to, and you seem to have picked this girl. Its usually the right time when you feel its right and thats how you seem to feel. You have your reasons for telling her first and thats all you need.

12. ohioguy05

Thank you all for your great advice. I feel so much better just talking this through on this site. :slight_smile: Thanks again and I hope that this all goes alright.

13. roborama

come out to who you feel you can confide in the most and will help you to deal with coming out to other people if you wish to