1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overreacting?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lotty, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Lotty

As I've posted in threads before, I came out to my best friends. And one of those friends didn't like it. But she said it was all right, that she just needed to get used to it. Now she says she doesn't care at all. But I can see she does. She always talks about the guy she's in love with, and gets angry if I say I don't need to hear it. But when I talk about Kim, she immediately changes the subject, and when I get angry she says I'm overreacting.
    Also, every Saturday we have theatre class. So does Kim, that's how I met her.
    And every Saturday my friend doesn't talk to me, or even look at me. But she also makes sure that there's no chance for me to be alone with Kim. If I want to sit next to Kim, my friend takes that seat.
    And one day, my friend went to the toilet, and suddenly I was alone with Kim. We talked a bit (well, she talked and I tried to), and then my friend came back and said we had to go. On our way home she asked what Kim and I were talking about. I said 'about what we were gonna do tonight' and she asked, in a disgusted way 'you didn't ask her out did you?' I said 'no, I meant that she told me that she's gonna have dinner with her whole family tonight.'
    And my friend seemed really relieved. But if I had asked Kim out, she wouldn't talk to me for a week, I'm sure of it. But if I'd asked a boy out, she'd want to talk about nothing else. And after my date, she'd want to know all about it. Details.
    This really bothers me. Or am I overreacting?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>She always talks about the guy she's in love with, and gets angry if I say I don't need to hear it. But when I talk about Kim, she immediately changes the subject, and when I get angry she says I'm overreacting.

Well, wait a minute, why do you get to tell her "I don't need to hear it" about the guy SHE likes, but you're allowed to talk about the girl YOU like?

>>>And my friend seemed really relieved. But if I had asked Kim out, she wouldn't talk to me for a week, I'm sure of it.

Sounds like you might need the week off. Ask her out. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. maverick

^ I thought this too.

I would just ignore your friend's bad behavior and act like nothing's wrong. Either things will come to a head about it and you'll have a confrontation, or your friend will eventually get used to the idea.

Either way, you shouldn't let her attitude influence your interactions with this other girl that you like.

4. Lotty

It's not like that. It's just that she ALWAYS talks about him, and I'm not allowed to talk about Kim. And sometimes thats just really annoying. And I usually listen to her when she talks about him, but sometimes it's nice to hear something different to 'he's so cute, he's so handsome, he's way too good for me, he's so nice.'
    If I even start to talk about Kim, she cuts it off at once.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I would say you have 2 choices firstly you can ignore it, just carry on as normal listen to her when she talks and talk about Kim when you can, or at least try and hope that in time it will gradually get better, it might be that she is trying her best to be ok with it but is finding it hard? The downside to this is that it may always be this way and she might not really know how you feel about it all.

Alternatively you could try and talk to her about it and explain how you feel and perhaps ask if there is anything you could do to try and help her get used to the idea (like get her some information to read, or go to a group together or something) and hope that you can make it better.

You know your friend the best, it depends which you think might work. It is possible that she is almost jealous, you dont say in your post but if you have never dated before then perhaps she is used to having boyfriends and talking about them and she has become used to you being the dutiful friend and always being there to listen and now you want to talk about girls and you want to talk to Kim and perhaps she feels a bit put out and like she is loosing you. I dont know just a thought.