1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression and SAD

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owl47, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Guys,

Lately I've been feeling depressed, which is normal because I typically have SAD around this time. However, I have not felt this depressed since my time in middle school, when I was very quiet and introverted because of things like being picked on or having a lack of friends. Yet, for some reason, I sometimes feel more comfortable being depressed. It seems to take energy and work in order for me to be in a good mood, though now I am able to socialize without people knowing I am depressed. It is not like this constantly, but it does tend to happen during this time of year.

I have noticed that in the last few months I have been very outgoing and extroverted, much more than usual. I am introverted, however, and I wonder if this pattern of extroverted behavior, in any way, has exhausted me. I have not been able to be alone for a while. I share a room, have five other roommates, and have to deal with classes of 200+ people on average. I used to make trips to places outdoors or to the campus arboretum on my own at least weekly, but I have not done that in a few months. These were places in which I was alone for extended periods of time, and I used the time to think or reflect on things. I spent at least 8 hours in the campus arboretum the day I came out to my sisters and roommates, and it helped me a lot.

Anyways, I was wondering whether or not something as simple as alone time would help me get over this hump. Ironically, as I've been dealing with many dark thoughts(non-suicidal) I also feel as though I have no completely true friends, or close friends. My friends are supportive and great, but I have no one I can talk to about virtually everything. The closest thing to such a friend is an old HS friend who I haven't even come out to yet.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated

#1 Owl47, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. I'll start off by saying that I am also an introvert. When I shared a room in college and was constantly in big rooms full of people, I went crazy. It was like I could never recharge for my next social gathering whether it be class or friends or even just going to eat dinner in the dining hall.

Maybe try taking some vitamin d (which helps me during winter with depression from lack of sunlight) and regularly find a place to be alone and just recharge. That's what always helps me, even if it's just for a little bit each day. It allows me to be better for myself and everyone around me.

3. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. With midterm stress coming up, I'll probably go out on my own for a bit to recharge and not get overwhelm because of everything else going.

4. Chandra

Another SAD-afflicted introvert here. I'm going to second the vitamin D suggestion - it does wonders for me. Getting regular exercise also helps a lot. Maybe you could try some kind of solitary activity, like jogging (although that may not be feasible in the winter). I find that going to the gym can help even though there are people around, because I can put my headphones on and do my own thing. It really helps me to recharge and feel ready to take on social situations.