1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i go to this gay club thingy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ty, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

I dunno weather too or not....its got like mostly 17/18 year olds and im only like 14 (15 in a month) so yeah....i think im too young =/

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

just a little lol

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Well i dunno...some gay help thingy suggested it to me and i checked its myspace page and it just had 18 17 and 19 y/o's with a few 16's -.- bad advice from the gay help thingy

4. Louise

A reply from a mum; wait until you are a bit older and more able to defend yourself. Lots of gay clubs (and straight clubs for that matter) can be meat markets. I'm not saying this one is but unless you are going with a group of friends or an older person who will look out for you, there is no point putting yourself in danger.

I wouldn't let my 15 yr old daughter go to a straight club unless accompanied by a group of friends or a responsible adult (not me because she would rather die, but anyway). Sometimes it is wise to be cautious.

I hope this is what your mum would say if she knew :kiss:

5. Ty

Ty Guest

6. Louise

Ooopps sorry, I think I got a bit carried away, can't help myself when I think someone might be putting themselves in danger. :dry:

There is still the age thing, 2 to 3 years difference is not that much but there is a whole world of experience in those few years.

What exactly is this gay club thingy? Like a youth club where you get to hang out with other guys and get to know them? excuse me if I sound a bit naive... but I am!

7. Ty

Ty Guest

Uhrm i think its like you just can see other gay guys and stuff....im sposin' it gives advice and stuff too

Heh aww your a protective mum :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Louise

Stupid me :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

I just cliked on the link you gave. Why don't you call the number they give, say that you are nearly 15 and not out and need a bit of support. Ask them if it would be suitable for you to go and even ask one of them to accompany you.

On paper it certainly looks good and would give you a possible support group. If you do go let someone know where you are going and keep your mobile phone with you and switched on and arrange to phone a friend at half hour intervals through out the evening. Yes I know this is the paranoid mum speaking but I am what I am. You can never be too careful.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmmm, youve noted some good points there....i was just plannin' on goin' and telling my mum i was at the cinema lol...i proberly won't go tonight anyways...im too nervous >_> maybe when i get back from S.A

I wouldn't be able to tell any friends or family where im goin' cause there all like...well i havent come out yet...so yeah

10. Louise

OK, I understand what you are saying, but the day you do want to go you can tell your mum you are going to the cinema, I will be more than happy to give you my mobile number (on PM of course) and you can sms me every half hour or so until you get home, then it will only be you and me who know but you will be safe. You can't phone me I live in France it would use up all your credit but an sms would do.

It seems that this group has meetings quite regularly, so there is no rush but if you do want to go one day my offer is always open.

I don't want to intrude on your life but if this group is what they say they are it could be just what you are looking for, for support and sorting things out in your head. Tell me to butt out if I overstep the mark, sometimes I just can't help myself. :thumbsup:

11. Ty

Ty Guest

Omg thanks Louise, thats a really kind offer! I don't wanna be a bother =]
    Yeah...ill ring them when i get back from holiday and see how that goes....I'd really appriciate that Louise =] aslong as its no trouble

12. Louise

It's no trouble and it would be my pleasure. I think if everyone helped their neighbour, just a little bit, when they can and with what they can, the world would be a much nicer place to live in.

Have a great time in S.A. :eusa_danc I'v never been there but I have heard it is a lovely place.

13. Ty

Ty Guest

Thanks Louise, you've been added to my buddy list thingy ^_^

14. Louise

Thank you, that is very nice of you. I would add you to to mine but I don't know what it is:eusa_doh:

I need to get my son to explain to me how to put on pics and change my profile. I'll get there in the end. :lol:

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's just a gay youth group, I would say Louise's advice on calling and asking what they're about first is probably a good idea but you'll likely be fine. I used to attenda gay youth group and there were people there aged 14 to like... 25? A lot of them are 21 and under, though.

Not that gay youth groups can't be a little bit "meat market"-y too at times but it's a very different thing from a gay club or gay bar. And if it's run by youth workers who are associated with some kind of local health authority/organisation, it is very likely on the up-and-up.

16. Jeimuzu

Rather than ringing them, you might want to email them? Thing about emailing is that it's a lot easier to do. I hate ringing people for things, but I'm totally fine with emailing.

Either way, a little detective work has shown that this place appears to be ran by THT, in which case it should be reputable. However, THT (Terrence Higgins Trust) is more a sexual health thing, as far as I know. I'd advise emailing them and asking for a little clarification.

17. Tom

Tom Guest

just incase ur stil wunderin about goin, havent herd u tlkin bout it in awhile tho, if you do decide to go then i wudnt mind goin with u the first time or w/e even if its on a school day as long as its after 5 or 6 wich im 99.999% sure it is then i can get there =]

u dont have 2 introduce me as ur bf but just a friend or somet hus there for support.

18. Ty

Ty Guest

we could do one day...ill ring them soon =]

19. pirateninja

I've got to say, before I read this topic I wouldn't have thought about going to a GLBT group but I went to a local one in Wolvo last Saturday and I found it to be really helpful. I know you can get support and advice from here but actually speaking with somebody face to face can be really reassuring. I found it helpful and am probably going to go again.