1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pirateninja, Oct 15, 2007.

1. pirateninja

Sometimes when in the company of other girls I sometimes do really stupid stuff to try and impress them, for example one time I dived into a swimming pool fully clothed and then stayed in those clothes to dry off.

I don't know if it's because I want the attention at that time but usually later I regret it, thinking "Damnit, how could I have been so stupid?" and get angry with myself. I know it's a bit of a stupid question but I just wonder if I'm doing the wrong thing trying to impress people.

2. biisme

i think you shouldn't do things solely to impress other people. that won't turn out well in the long run. just be yourself and people will or won't like u for that. good luck!

3. Tim C

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Here's my take:

Wanting attention isn't necessarily a bad thing. And learning how to get people's attention is something that will pay dividends throughout your life. It's ony wrong when you grab attention by hurting others or by hurting yourself.

Jumping in a pool fully clothed probably isn't going to impress most people as much as it's going to make them think you're pretty "out there". But if you're pretty out there- then jump into the pool to your hearts content. You don't have to be like everybody else. You don't have to apologize for wanting to be noticed. Some truly great achievements have been inspired by people who wanted publicity or attention. Who really thinks political candidates and entertainers don't love all the attention they get?

My advice is to manage things as insightfully as possible. But unless what you do has a hurting effect on you or somebody else- it's just you being you. We are all works in progress. You'll sometimes say or do the wrong thing. We all have. No need to get down on yourself. No need to get angry. It's called life and we are all gonna make our share of mistakes.

4. SpikySpice

Right, just be yourself, sometimes you impress people for just being yourself, because you are outstanded from others

5. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Just be sure not to do something because it entertains someone else, especially if it might have, you could say, stupid consequences. Everyone tries to impress people. So, don't think for a second that what you're trying to do is exactly wrong. It's more of what you do that could make it wrong.

6. Louise

Having a bit of fun and being silly, even if it is done to impress your friends isn't wrong. We have all of us done it at sometime in our lives. As long as you don't put yourself in danger there is no harm.

You shouldn't feel angry with yourself for it, see it for what it is; a bit of harmless sillyness, have a good laugh at yourself and don't do it again if you feel that this isn't really you. Everyone has attention seeking moments in their lives as Tim C says not all attention seeking behaviour is necessarly a bad thing.

If it is you and you enjoy being the center of attention and being silly, again where is the harm as long as you don't put yourself in danger.

7. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hmmm....I'm pretty sure I know where you're coming from on this matter. I also sometimes find myself doing stupid things to get someone's attention....admittedly I haven't jumped into a pool fully clothed....yet :icon_bigg

But I understand at the time, all you can think about getting that special person to notice you. So you don't really consider what you're actually doing, you just want to be the centre of their attention and get them to think about you. Even just for a moment.

Of course you're right in saying that afterwards you kind of think "What the HELL did I do that for?!!!", but you're not alone. As a few people have said, we all have moments where we feel the need to impress those around us. Some of it's peer pressure in feeling required to somehow 'prove' yourself, some of it's just a personal thing to try and be a bit different.

But as far as I see it, as long as you're not playing chicken with cars or putting your life in danger, be silly and outrageous- before you become an adult where it's harder to find an excuse for getting away with such zany things....:eusa_naug