1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by higby442, Jan 20, 2011.

1. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey All,

I was looking to get some advice from all of you regarding online dating.

*** Disclaimer-I over analyze everything, so I apologize for ridiculous questions but appreciate all your feedback very much!

I am really new to the online thing and I have only done traditional dating before. So far it's been pretty cool. I met a really great guy a couple weeks ago, and we have had great conversations. Yesterday we met for the 1st time for lunch. He ended up driving about 45 minutes to come to where I live.

Anyway, here's the first question. Some of my freinds told me on the first date, post talking online its best to give a hug the first time. We ended up shaking hands which seemed fine to me. Is that just right or too informal?

Anyway, lunch went great. We ended up talking for 2.5 hours about all kinds of stuff. We stayed away from all things like political issues etc. and just talked about school (we are both in school) and our interests. I had a fantastic time. We shared laughs and it was equally 50/50 on who asked questions of the other etc. We both made eye contact a lot. Anyway, he had to leave to get back home so we decided to leave.

Here's where I need your input next. In the parking lot, I told him I had a really great time and would love to get together again. He said "yeah me too". Then I said, "well I guess we will be in touch then" and went in for a real quick hug. Was that too much? It seemed right to me and I didnt want to just wave and say goodbye.

Anyway, I think it went well, and I would like to reach out for a second date. I was thinking of waiting another day or 2 before doing that. I'm not in that state of mind where I think this is the perfect match yet-I dont move that quick. I was just really happy and really interested in getting to know this guy more.

What do you think?

Thanks so much

2. Ridiculous

Nice, sounds like you had a great time.

I wouldn't try and overthink anything that happened like whether hugs were appropriate or not. In my opinion doing what seems most natural at the time is best, and it looks like you did exactly that.

Good luck with the second date!

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've met someone through online dating recently, and on the first date we hugged each other hello and goodbye. I don't think a goodbye hug is too much at all. Just go with what feels right to you, whether that's a wave, handshake, hug, kiss, whatever. If it seemed natural, it was the right thing to do :slight_smile: Good luck!

4. Ben

Ben

Hugs are good and handshakes are fine!!
    He probably thought nothing of it, and I'm sure people have tried a lot more than just a hug on their first date. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Don't worry about it or overanalyse it too much, the important part is how the date went—which was well ;D—and not the greeting technique you used.

5. higby442

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone-I got sooo much advice beforehand that my head was swimming. Turns out I didnt use one bit of advice I was given and just went on my instincts, which I dont always do so I was kind of proud of myself. I really felt good about it and had a great time, so I'm hoping he felt the same way. My freinds said that he wouldn't have sat with me for over 2 hours if he wasn't so I guess that makes sense.

Now I just need to come up with an idea for a second date.....

6. IThinkInCircles

Do it! Sounds like it went really well; let things ferment for a day or two and then go for it!