1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different life?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lodiug, Oct 15, 2007.

1. lodiug

Do you think that your life would be different if you weren't gay?

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

hmm yes n no

3. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Probably not....being gay has made no difference whatsoever to how I've lived my life. Not once have I done anything differently as a result of my sexuality. Perhaps if I'd completely come out years ago, (I'm only out to a few) my life would have taken a different direction but I don't think that's what you're really asking.

Essentially, not being gay would have made no difference. Still the same me, same job, etc.

I guess we can either decide to live differently as a result of being gay or live normally.

4. Cloud Nine 5

Definitely. It caused a huge waste of 4-5 years that is still not really over.

5. Grof142007

Totally My Life would be 100% different

6. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

probably

7. SpikySpice

Of course, now i wont have to be obsessed about gusy but girls, it will be easier for me to find a relationship, I wont have to run away sometimes from teh society(which i used to do), and i wont get angry if they talk bad or make fun of gay people, but i wonmt make any comment about that

But i womnt be this strong and confident, because being gay have trained me to be colder and more confident bout myself

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I think it would. it would certainly be easier to find someone to love, and I wouldn't get offended when someone says "That's so gay." However, looking back, if I could do it all over and were allowed to choose my sexuality, I'd still be gay. Growing up gay has made me a more sensitive man, and it's made me a better man in general.

9. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Oh so different.
    I would probably not live in fear of my own family & friends.
    I could be more open with people.

...Just very different.

10. Torture

Torture Guest

More than likely, yes.

11. step49x

I'm sure I would.

Right now, I'm really into theatre, and I couldn't care less about sports. I think if I was straight, sports would probably be more important.

I've actually wondered about this, before.

12. crimsonarcher

yeah. sports are the last thing I care about. It's just not interesting.

13. pirateninja

If I was straight, I'd probably be different how I act, what I wear, how others perceive me, what matters to me.....etc

Yep my life would probably be a hell of a lot different.

14. davo-man

Hell yeah it would be different, cos if i was straight, I would more than likely not be as good friends with Bec and Bob, simply cos i would not be able to do half the frolicking that we do hehe...also tho, changing just that one aspect would probably change a lot more, for instance, I would not be able to talk about hot guys and fashion with Ash, wouldnt be able to have such open convos with James, and wouldn't have the common factor of homosexuality with Brooke...not to mention that I wouldnt be on here

So, yes I think it would change my life a whole lot

15. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would probaby still be single because the guys I know are just good friends (and I prefer to keep it that way). And the others are very immature and just looking to hook up with girls, and I'm not into that.

Things would definately be less stressfull in the fact I wouldn't have to worry about hiding this secret from my family and friends. I wouldn't be concerned about anyone from work finding out, because there would be nothing to find out.

But like Davo-man I would miss the conversations & the inside jokes with my friends who know I'm gay. And I'm pretty sure I'd miss checking out girls and having a legitimate reason for doing so :icon_bigg

Even though it's hard at times, I'd prefer to be who I am and look forward to what's ahead of me. I wouldn't 'switch' for anything.

16. Jim1454

Hypothetical questions aren't really that helpful or useful in my opinion...

Of course - my life would have been completely different.

17. justjoshoh

My life would be greatly affected if I were not gay. There have been several positive outcomes that would not likely have happened, had it not been that I was gay.

I joined a group that offers peer accountability and supportiveness, personal and community empowerment, and continuing education of life and health issues. Our group has benefited the community as a whole, in various volunteer efforts that I would not have participated in otherwise. Since joining the group, I have made great friendships which I probably would not have been exposed to otherwise.

This past weekend, I spent my time with 60-some gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered persons on a retreat. It was a fabulous time, during which I was able to take an introspective look and become aware of personal negative situations that I could improve upon. Let it be said, that these negative situations could have occurred whether I was gay or not.

Could it have been a different life. Absolutely, but I think if you look for the positive in the life you have, you'll be able to discern it really is a wonderful life... one not worth changing if you could.

18. rairai

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    my life would be completley different.. I'de still have friends

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

My life would have been completely different if I was straight. I probably wouldn't have been bullied so much at primary school so would probably have gone to a normal high school and done fairly badly (instead of the small one I was sent to where I did reasonably well). So I probably wouldn't have got the job when I left school that I did. So I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to move to a job 150 miles away from my parents (which enabled to move away from home to somewhere where I could afford my own home), so I probably wouldn't have had the career moves I have had.

I'd probably be married with kids (or maybe divorced), still living on Hampshire and in a more boring job.

Overall I think my life would have been more mundane and less interesting had I been straight.

Not that I think about it anyway (well only when a thread like this appears). I can't change it so I see no point in wasting time thinking about "what if...".

20. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How shall I say this?...Hm.
    Someone along the line, one of the men I have had heterosexual tendency of (meaning I have had crushes on guys, rarely, and am still gay), would have dated me and I'd've allowed myself to be pregnant. I can think very clearly of who this male is--two actually. One I wouldn't mind too much, I think, and the other, I'd probably be furious.
    I wouldn't care so much about the world. That probably sounds confusing, but when I was "straight" I didn't understand all the flaws the world has, I didn't think of how I could help, I didn't--I just had time for me. It was as though I acknowledged I was gay and saw how ugly the world is, and started caring A LOT.
    okay, I would like to stop rambling.
    If I were straight I'd--
    Be pregnant at fifteen or seventeen and married to whomever impregnated me, then divorced him (I DO NOT BELIEVE IN MYSELF GETTING DIVORCE so I'm sure glad I'm gay) for a frivolous reason
    Be uninformed
    Not want to be a cop
    Put myself in a lot of dangerous situations

I believe I have made myself safer and become much more educated as a gay woman. If I were straight, I wouldn't know what dating violence was, how to file a restraining order or very much about gays. The fact that I grew up and became more school-educated means little towards my life as far as, would it be different if I were straight.
    so gay=yay