1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to jump into expressing these newly validated feelings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mandarof, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could really use some advice on this one. I came out in December and essentially told EVERYONE over just a few weeks. I was incredibly fortunate to have no negativity presented to me from anyone. I am 23 years old, all done with HS and college, fully independent, and living two thousand miles away from my parents in soCal. I would not have been comfortable with guys prior to coming out and it has taken a good week or two for me to begin feeling comfortable expressing my true feelings.

I have begun emerging from my shell of shyness and talking to a lot more people. I have met about 10 new lesbian and 10 new gay friends since the year begun. Keep in mind that I had basically no gay friends/interaction/anything last year. I had one brief purely sexual experience and one purely intimate experience (no sex). Naturally, I want more. However, I am torn in every direction as I want to remain a responsible adult but I still really want to jump into full fledged love making, which I really have not done--and only some lighter actions desired by me, the inexperienced.

I have gone out four times over the past week. Each time I was hit on in some fashion. I'll briefly detail them now.

1: Deep in conversation with older guy (very good advice learned) while another guy randomly brushed up against my back very intently and noticeably. I did not respond in the least--basically the first time I got hit on ever. I should have said hi!
    2: Walked in the bar, within a minute or so this guy walks up to me and starts talking. Not long after this, he asks me to step outside. After he asks to see my stomach I (gasp) ask if he wants to go back to my place. His response was very scattered and I couldn't tell if he was saying woah, leave me alone OR I think he was saying he just wanted to go finish his drink. Ultimately I started talking to another older guy and learned a ton of good advice (like day 1) and the other guy didn't talk to me again, probably because I was occupied, and I didn't see him after him glancing around where I was.
    3: After a little dabbling talking to a guy, I was simply telling him a little about me (just he and I sitting at a table) and all of a sudden he outright interrupted me and said, "Hey do you wanna go fuck?" Of course I was shocked to the nth degree and basically stumbled to not choke. He quickly followed that up saying he was joking and does that to a lot of people. Thinking back I can't see how he could have been joking. Later in the evening he and I were talking to two other guys (friends) and we were half going to each take one of the guys. "His" guy kept telling mine to get outta here with me. Very interesting. This is a whole interpretation on its own that isn't important (all the actual events--lots happened).
    4: I was at a real party house club talking to, yet again, another older guy and learning some good advice. All of a sudden TWO separate groups of two walked up to me to talk, all in just a few minutes (guy/gal each). Before I knew it I was basically dancing with all 4 and hardly knew what to do (do I pick one!!!?). Neither guy was one I might pick out but they did grow on me. Before I knew it, one group was taking me away for some other places. Ultimately we got down to time to go and there were some comments implying I would be taking him home. Hell, I even thought I would be. But without me officially offering they both left. The hugging goodbye was slower and more awkward haha. So I went back to the club again (after they left) and saw the other group, who didn't want to have any part of me (guess I ditched them...but that was my first experience like this ever...no idea what I should have done). I finally found the older guy again and we had a great talk. He said you should really never take someone home unless you are ultra comfortable. They were aware I was there alone and started wondering if the two groups were con-artists, although one of them added me on Facebook so who knows...

I'm really at a loss here. I want to have the encounters I crave but really don't know how to proceed at all! I have been meeting a lot of new people and am willing to continue that (takes a ton of time!) but what should my longer term plan be? I saw a ton of affection and intimacy, especially on night 4, and of course was dying to have that of my own. Of course then I wonder if I should be approaching the guys that I personally think are the hottest.

I'd really like some solid advice please! This whole process has caused a lot of emotional response from me and I am having trouble grasping everything. I am great at following instructions and planning end goals. Right now I want to get past my sexual inexperience and make more friends.

2. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Hi mandarof.

Don't Bogart those open-spaced paragraphs, eh? :wink: I nearly went cross-eyed trying to read that big one in the middle. (BTW. At this point in my EC membership I'm not allowed to send PMs.)

Re the gist of your post:

My .02? Please be careful not to get lured into some promiscuous excess which may lead to dire consequences for your health. Until you're more experienced dealing with the kind of guys who'll employ any prevarication to get into your laundry for one night, possible HIV infection must be factored into any quick pickup equation.

Eye-to-eye-->heart-to-heart-->THEN parts-to-parts is a path of patient courtship which has a better chance of landing one a healthy, passionate and true boyfriend instead of some shallow and lascivious twink looking to up his scorecard.

Never forget: you deserve the best.

3. ArabMan

Hi mandarof

I read your post with big interest. It is clear to me that now that you are out of the closet; you want to live everything, altogether, at once because you have been repressing it for so long. However, patience is a virtue...

You seem like a smart man, very capable of analyzing situations and the only advice I tell you is to take your time to find love, to find true friends, to find depth altogether.

In the meanwhile, go out, enjoy your life, go dancing in gay clubs with your friends, talk to gay man (like you’ve been doing), and get to meet gay man and you'll see that there is pretty much everything among gay man (just like straight man) and in the end, you'll be able to build a relationship (whether friendship or more) once you know who you are, what you like, what you don't like, what are your values, etc. and be with someone accordingly. Enjoy life out of the closet but don’t loose yourself

I totally understand your rush of wanting it all but Rome wasn’t build over a day.

Hope this helps

4. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My neighbor also said Rome wasn't built in a day, just as [myName]'s life wasn't built in a day.

I am definitely very mature for my age and tend to analyze situations beyond belief. I plan everything out and try to start/end things as well as I can. In fact, this whole coming out process has made me evaluate my life as a whole and all I can think is how lucky I am to be where I am and such is true because I didn't spend time with gals/guys through high school or college.

Here are my current thoughts/desires:
    1. I slept with the mentioned guy (no sex!) but enjoyed that and want that again. In fact, the couple nights following I was angry that I didn't have someone to hold.
    2. I really want to break past my DEEP inexperience with sex. I have been given some excellent advice (mainly that one guy told me f-ing is offlimits unless in a LTR). This is a big one...so many thoughts, questions, wonders.
    3. I want to know that I am appealing to others. Yes, in one week (4 events) I've had 5 guys try to pick me up/aggressively hit on me. But can I get the guy I'm most attracted to? Do I even want to until I have some more experience?

I do deserve the very best. But I also want to have the experiences sooner rather than later. It is amazing how I went from someone who couldn't talk to anyone to someone who can basically approach almost anyone immediately. ...and keep a halfway decent conversation going.

5. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Update.., er.., if you can find the time... :wink:

6. xequar

Having been in a very similar situation (except I was 25 when I came out entirely over the course of about 2 weeks), my advice is to give it a bit of time. Think about it, it took this long to come out, so it's going to take a bit of time to figure out... the logistics... of being out. Be honest and forward with people, that you're recently out and a bit nervous bla bla blah. If you make it into the bedroom or back seat or whatever, again, be honest. The good ones will understand and accomodate you. Those who aren't right for you will thank you for your honesty and move along. The losers... You'll figure out who they are before you get that far I think.

As for approaching people, that's one of those things I think has to be decided at an individual level. If that's your thing, go strike up conversation with people and see what happens. I will say, though, to not be dismissive of those who strike up conversation with you, even if they're not the hottest person in the room.

Really, though, just kinda go with the flow. Don't try to force anything, because I swear the more you try, the harder it gets. Be loose, be relaxed, be yourself, and you'll figure it out.