1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a strong person to you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mind Freak

Does being strong to you mean never crying? Does it mean you don't take any crap from people? Does it mean you don't care what people think of you? What does being a strong person mean to you?

2. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Cross posted from one i made in another thread

I think this is the attitude in which I define to be strength. I personally sympathize with this attitude and as a result find it quite attractive in a person.

#2 zeratul, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Mogget

Strength, to me, is about resilience, perseverance, and accepting what life throws at you. To quote my favorite poem:

The point? Strength isn't about never breaking, it's about the certainty that, even if broken, you will continue and endure. Strong people know to their core that they can handle whatever happens. It doesn't mean not crying, or not screaming at God. It just means that, whatever happens, you endure and survive.

4. Markio

I think patience is a form of strength. As is forgiveness.

5. radiantdawn

radiantdawn Guest

heh, for me, being strong means being true to yourself. And also being true to others. And persevering and falling down and getting back up. And hmmm...

Crying isn't weak imo. It shows that you're being true to your emotions.

And being strong means taking cr@p from people but also standing up for yourself, and for what's right.

And knowing when you're wrong, and apologizing and compromising.

And not being affected by negative people. And being positive and pleasant as much as you can. That's what my meaning of strength is and I hope I can be strong.

So yeah, pretty multi-faceted =p But that's what being a strong person means to me.

ORRR
    You can ignore everything above and just simply put: being strong=being ripped, and muscular and hawt :3 X_X :X But being too muscular is kinda gross >_< Hee ha hoo.

6. lostinthought9

This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Can I ask what brought about this question?

#6 lostinthought9, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. Mind Freak

Nothing in particular. I just saw this lady on tv who seems to be having moral dilemmas all of the time and people think she's weak. Probably because she cries fairly often and voices her emotions which most people take as a sign of weakness. It made me think what do people view as being strong or strong behavior. Great responses so far btw! Keep them coming please! :slight_smile:

8. maverick

I think the most elemental part of strength is will. Nobody ever becomes strong at anything - either life or in individual subjects - without a heavy dose of self-discipline. It's one of the only things that can keep a person's focus and attention going long enough to achieve mastery.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its being able to to have life bitch slap you and being able to dust yourself off and ask for more. Its being able to act eventhough your scared. Its being able to hold your head high when small minded assholes want to you to be ashamed.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people don't cry much at all, and others cry at the drop of a hat. I don't think that's translatable to "strength" in any way shape or form. I'm one of those that hardly ever cries, and I can tell you there are times I really wish I could. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. U N Owen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with most of the posts so far. I believe a person is strong when they stay true to their beliefs even when everyone is telling you your wrong. Of course someone might adamantly believe that the world is going to end, and then people will believe he's crazy. However I think there is a difference between stubbornness due to fear, and the will to believe in yourself.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    people who can work with what they've got, as opposed to those who give up when they don't have everything the need

13. Legit. This is something I've been striving for.