1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTENTIALLY URGENT: I did the right thing.... Right? I need advice for her too....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by radiantdawn, Jan 26, 2011.

1. radiantdawn

radiantdawn Guest

Numbered for ease >_> So like... I'm sorry I'm putting this here, but I know how active this forum is compared to other forums. I wanted all of your advice and thoughts on this. I need help, I need to make sure I'm doing the right thing, and I need more advice on what to do.

1. Just very recently ago, like 2 hrs ago, I was talking to my friend. She knows I'm depressed, she was the second friend I told basically. She's been really great.

So she just told me, I'm the only person she's told, that she thinks about suicide everyday, and that she would have killed herself if it weren't for her friends and her boyfriend. (I guess she trusts me lots, cause I confide everything to her, like me being gay and depressed and my crushes and worries and suicidal thoughts. And she said shed be there for me whenever I feel like life isn't worth living. So I'm trying to do the same... more on this later below.)

2. She's worried about her boyfriend and she thinks he might leave her. I have never gotten that vibe from him (he's my best friend as well as her. They both are my best friends.) I'm guessing this is low self-esteem typical to depression, I know I have low self-esteem.

So she has a boyfriend, since around October 2010. He's been depressed too, and he's tried suicide sometimes. They're both 16 as am I.

He's telling me to leave her be and that 'she can handle it by herself'. As a current depressed person I disagree. I don't know if he was hurt that she told ME first, and not him. It could be that, and he's being brash right now cause he's hurt. OR it could be that he doesn't believe in depression treatment because he dealt with his depression on his own.

3. He might be jealous of me, I don't know. He's said before that he kinda gets a bit jealous that she spends lots of time talking to me and seeing me. But he's always rebutted what he's said by saying after that he knows I "~need the attention right now~".

And that might've made him say those words about her. I was the one who told him about her being depressed.She didn't tell him. I thought i should tell him, so I did. Before I did, I asked her if I could tell him, she said she didn't care so I told him, cause I thought he should know but also cause we both could help her.

He might be upset too that I told him, and that she didn't tell him.

4. I said to her that I'd be there for her no matter what. I said that we both can help each other get through this rough part of our lives. I said that she would always have me no matter what, even if he broke up with her (which she is scared of).

5. When she told me it, I told her that we should check and see if she's depressed. She said she took online depression tests before, and her mom saw it and spazzed and said that she wasn't depressed. Not a very good, supportive reaction... Probably denial.

I said to her, we should get her checked by a general physician or a youth clinic drop in person. At the very least, they could refer us to other resources.

She said she didn't want to go, she said she wouldn't even consider going. I said I could go with her if she wanted, I said I could help her set an appointment up and that she could go DURING school so her mom didn't know. I said her mom doesn't have to know. I said, we're just getting a bit more info on what you're going through to see what help you need. I think this is the right thing to do, just get more info.

6.I don't know how serious she is. This is the first time she's said it. She said that it feels bad cause it hurts her image. She says she never cries in front of friends, always smiles. She brought all this up cause she got into a fight with her mom. Her mom ending up saying to her that she wasn't allowed to go out.

She has some issues with her mom. Her mom sounds a bit too mean or strict sometimes. She says she misses the times last year when they both cuddled up and hugged. This year it seems different, she says. So that change is probably upsetting for her.

7. I don't know what this is. I know for a fact that thinking about suicide is not good. I know that whatever it is, it means there's a problem. She says she never feels happy anymore. She makes me think of how I sound when I'm particularly down.

I want to help her. I said I'd talk to her anytime. I said I'd be there for her forever. I said I think she should see a youth clinic person, and that I would help her get it set up and stay a secret. What else can I do?

I don't know if she's depressed, or just super stressed. She's been real busy with school and stuff for a long time now. And of course she just fought with her mom. A couple days back she argued with her boyfriend. All these feelings could just be too much stress in a short time. But I know that stress that makes you think of death is not good. So regardless, I still think she needs to be helped. I want to help her. Any thoughts? I need comments and advice so I know I'm doing the right thing.

8. She's been sounding down when she talked to me today about the depression. I don't know if it's clinical. She doesn't want to see a doctor for it, but I might have to force her. She says "I don't skip school ever" but I said happiness+health>a chem. lab about the reactivity or hydrogen peroxide.

So yeah... I need guidance. Either way, I'm thinking: she needs counselling with her mom, this isn't the first time she's been hurt by her mom (emotionally and stuff)
    or she needs depression therapy
    or she needs to just vent and get it out

but either way, i want to get a proper diagnosis for her.

9. When I try and talk to her about it, she avoids the topic. She's like "i have to do homework now, it's gonna take me a long time to do it"

I said i'm going to talk to her about it tomorrow.

She says she doesn't want to open up to a stranger (the youth clinic worker). I said to her, they can only help you if you're honest so they know exactly what to do. The quality of help hinges on the quality of verity, basically.

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2011 at 12:08 AM ----------

And she's been like: I don't need help, I'll just keep it to myself. And then she told me later today after she did some homework that she feels better and that those bad thoughts always go away.

I know that keeping it to oneself (like I used to, and still sometimes do) is bad.

And I know that not needing help is false. I wanna help her. I need help to help her.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: POTENTIALLY URGENT: I did the right thing.... Right? I need advice for her too...

If she is seriously contemplating suicide (and not being dramatic to get attention) then there isn't any argument about whether or not she's depressed. People who are normal and happy don't consider suicide. So there really isn't any argument there.

Online tests are near worthless. The only way to get a meaningful diagnosis is to be seen by a psychotherapist or clinical social worker. (if you see a psychiatrist, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a diagnosis and a prescription no matter what you say, so that's why I suggest the others first.)

Depending on the relationship you have with her mom, talking to the mom might be a good choice. Your friend might be pissed about it, but if it's a serious issue, she'll thank you in the long term.

You can always call the Trevor Helpline, and have your friend call also. And you may also want to talk to your school's social worker or psychologist, presuming there is one (most schools have one.)

She is lucky to have a friend who cares as much as you do, and who is as grounded and sensible about it as you are. Don't let her get away with the "Oh, it's all fine now"... she probablyfeels (as many people do) embarrassed about her depression and makes the mistake of thinking that it's her problem and she should fix it herself. But that's faulty thinking, and it's pretty much impossible to think straight when you're depressed.

Keep us informed, and feel free to message me if you need more help.

3. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Re: POTENTIALLY URGENT: I did the right thing.... Right? I need advice for her too...

Hi radiantdawn.

I've PM'd a link to this thread to:

Individual Support
    http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13273

Eleanor Rigby
    Female - Straight
    Depression, anxiety, general advice and personal problems

If you know any of EC's mods then you may wish to PM them too.

--------

I have no experience dealing with situations like this and I've been awake for nearly 36 hours.

Here's a collection of suicide prevention links:
    http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showpost.php?p=798573&postcount=18

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2011 at 03:49 AM ----------

Chip to the rescue!

4. Eleanor Rigby

If your friend is contemplating suicide on an everyday basis, there is no way to question if she is depressed or not.
    Now the question is, do you think she is a threat to herself ?
    If yes, the best thing to do is to ask help from an adult : her parents, her teachers, her school counselor...
    Will she be pissed of with you if you do ? Possibly, but that is still better than if she really attempts suicide (not even metionning succeding at it).
    If you don't think she is on the verge of taking action to harm herself, then strongly advising her to seek for help would be a good thing to do.
    The fact she's talking to you about it is great, but if she is severly depressed (as you seem to think) she probably needs more than a shoulder to cry on, not mentionning the fact you have your own issues to deal with.
    Telling her you're worried about her, that you don't know how to help her and providing her a helpline phone number can be a start, especially if she is reluctant talking about this with her mother or a counselor.
    You can also try to convince her to talk to your school counselor and can even offer to come with her.

Now one advice for you : I know she is your friend, I know you love her, I know you're worried about her. This being said, don't let her dragging you down either.
    This is kind of typical for depressed people to team up because you feel more confident talking about your own issues with someone who is going through the same thing. The problem is that sometime, this kind of association is just making things worse for all the people involved (I am talking from experience here).
    You're trying to get your own issues with depression sorted. You're not going to be able to deal with your issues and her issues on top of it for long. Asking for help was already a great move. Feel free to do the same with the people around you too, even if it means you have to tell someone else about her issues.

I hope this can help a little. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk about it.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

5. radiantdawn

radiantdawn Guest

All right, a bunch of $#!t has gone down... : ( But at the very very least, I know my friend's getting some help now. Sorry for such a late response, the above mentioned $#!t has been quite horrible. I wonder if I could talk about it with anyone, it's horrible >_< If I feel like it later, I might talk about it here.

But anyways... Just wanted to say thank you to everyone, and that this particular problem has been solved, so that's one less worry off my chest. Thank you all very much!

6. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Someone should be along shortly radiantdawn. I've reported your post (in a good way).

I can't communicate in private.

7. radiantdawn

radiantdawn Guest

Thank you MIJ VI, but I don't know if I can talk about it here. Things have been real overwhelming, and I was actually put into the hospital because I was feeling suicidal (not a new feeling, but it was my first time being put in a ward). If people want to listen and help, that'd be great, but it's very like... all over the place and stressful and hard and etc. It would be hard to read basically.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2011 at 09:33 PM ----------

Ehhh. But if people wanted to help and listen that'd be nice : )

8. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

I'm still here. I'm trying to rustle up a more experienced EC'er with an account that can do PMs.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2011 at 01:02 AM ----------

There's a message on your wall.

9. Eleanor Rigby

Be sure that we always want to listen and to help (*hug*).

I'm sorry you were feeling so bad that you had to be taken to the hospital. Thought I think it's a good thing that people around you are taking your suicidal thoughts seriously and are taking care of you.
    You're definitly not the only person on EC who had been there. Many of us went throught depression and have been suicidal (I am among them), and others have had to be taken to the hospital for those reasons. I am sure that any of us who had been throught that kind of things can relate to what you're experiencing right now. Feel free to talk to us, either in this thread or in an other one. You're very welcome to PM me anytime about it if you prefer talking in private too.

Take care of yourself (*hug*)

10. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

I hope you're doing OK RD. :slight_smile: