1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm moving out in six months, and I don't know what to do with my cat.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

Back story: she was an indoor cat with my dad for about 4 years, then when he passed away she came to our house and eventually became an outdoor cat, it will be 9 years in september.

She is for all intents and purposes, my cat. When we first got her she would not leave my bedroom except to eat and use the litter box. if I close my bedroom door she will sit outside of it and meow until I let her in. If I go away for a couple days she won't even look at me, or on the flipside she'll jump into my lap and not leave me alone.

I know full well that even if she can't come with me I'll get another cat, I cannot function in a house with no animals. I get too lonely and caged animals like rodents just arent the same.

My concern is that she got really stressed the last time she went through a major move, and I'm really worried that it will happen again.

The plan (because six months is still a long way away and nothing is concrete yet) is to either leave her here for a week or two and see how she does, and then take her for a week to see if she's better or worse.

Any advice from the cat owners on here?

(Ps. in terms of the budget aspect of all of this, she (including future vet expenses) is worked into my budget so I'm not worried about that.)

2. TheWanderer

as far as cats are icant say for sure but when i moved my dog or had to put her in a kennel for the weekend i always brought apiece of her bedding . from what i understand anything with a familiar smell helps to relieve the anxiety of a new place.

typing on a ps3 is a pain.

hope this helps

3. maverick

I would take her with you, but I'd give her a month to adjust. My cat's personality sounds a lot like yours, and she flips out every time I move (I've moved with her four times). But after a few weeks, she always comes around eventually.

I think given your cat's personality, she'd probably be happier with you than left behind.

4. xequar

Cats are kinda flaky creatures. That said, if you can manage it logistically, take her along. Yeah, she'll flip out for a week or two, but she'll eventually start to figure out what's what and calm down.

Or, she might be like our first cat (we have two) was. After riding in the car for two hours, my mom put him down in our foyer. He looked around, came as close as a cat can come to saying, "So these are my new digs, eh? Sweet," and then started exploring the place. No freak out, no hiding, no nothing.

Either way, take her along. It'll work out.