1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm avoiding all social interaction - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maverick, Jan 27, 2011.

1. maverick

For the last couple of weeks, I've been avoiding people. I have left my cellphone dead for weeks because I lost my charger, but even once I knew where it was again, I kept "forgetting" to put it back on there. But part of me feels like I wasn't just forgetting it, I was actively avoiding putting myself in a position to socialize with anyone.

I haven't been seeking people out at work to socialize as normal, and I've been just kind of staying behind a closed door in my office. Still getting my work out and everything, just being extremely antisocial. I don't call people to go out. I don't answer the phone. I am avoiding almost all online forums where I'm usually active.

I feel like it's sort of puzzled my friends and colleagues, and may have even caused some hurt feelings, I'm not sure - but I don't really know how to explain my need for solitude right now. The only people I feel comfortable around right now are strangers, as weird as that sounds. I have no desire to be around any single person I know, except maybe my father. Other than my dogs and cats, I'm perfectly content to be alone.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I feel like it may be symptomatic of depression or something, but at the same time, I have always had a strong drive towards being a loner, and I've never put much effort into anything but superficial relationships that are deep enough to satisfy my need for social interaction, but are shallow enough that I still have a great degree of personal privacy and control over the relationship.

Don't get me wrong, I get along well with almost everyone I've ever met, but I don't seek out any interaction with people other than that interaction which is forced on me (either at home or at work). I don't turn down invitations to go out though.

Is something wrong with me? I find the state of our society emotionally hurtful and mentally exhausting. I just feel like turning my back on the whole thing. And I don't know what to do to feel differently, or more positive about things. It just feels like the world is going to hell in a handbasket and I'm along for the ride, more or less, completely powerless to change the state of things.

I'm just going to move to the woods and become a hermit. :dry:

2. adam88

Is this normal for you or out of the ordinary?

For me, I go through shut-in phases too. Usually coincides with depression, but not always. Sometimes I'm all socialized out and just need time alone, others I'm just emotionally distraught and don't want anyone to talk to me. And stuff in-between.

Hmm, rereading your line about "not seeking out interaction" is starting to remind me of myself a bit. I've been trying (as part of my personal growth process) the last year or so to break out of this, invite people out/etc. I've found it's easiest if you surround yourself with the type of friends who are prone to inviting you places, but you still have to do that bit of work yourself. :slight_smile:

You certainly have a few avoidant tendencies, like me. I don't really know what to say to help you other than "I know how you feel" and "it gets better, you just need to work on it slowly". Solitude can be nice from time to time, but if it's bothering you like it was with me you may want to start taking steps to break out. Feel free to PM me if I've been any help.

3. maverick

Well, I definitely have reclusive tendencies, no doubt about that. But avoiding my close friends is a new thing. I have always avoided small talk and other kinds of forced interaction with coworkers and acquaintances unless they seek me out, but the people in my "tribe" have always had my ear. I'm just at the point right now where I don't want to deal with any of them, and I feel like it's hurting their feelings that I'm avoiding them with no explanation.

I don't want to listen to their problems. I don't want to hear about what's going on with them. I just want to be left alone.

^ This is how I feel right now. I'm just so stressed out, I don't have the energy to deal with anyone else's crap right now. Or the energy to pursue any interests whatsoever. Not painting, writing, nada. I go to work and come home and go to sleep. It's weird.

^ This is a part of social interaction that I've always been horrible with, I never call anyone or invite anyone to do anything, I'm always the one who is invited. I belong to a lot of Meetups and have plenty of opportunity for social interaction, even with a GLBTQ alliance here in the city, but I have just not been able to meet with any of these people. Even acquainting myself with strangers feels like more social effort than I can stand right now.

I don't particularly want to socialize, but I feel like extended periods of self-imposed isolation are not really that healthy psychologically, even for introverted people (whom I personally think tend to overthink things if left alone too long). And I have felt this avoidant emotion since I came out.

I came out of the closet just long enough to lock myself behind a bedroom door.

I feel like I need to do something confidence-boosting, I just don't know what to do.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still do this.

To be honest, aside from the internet I rarely have any social interaction.

Sometimes I think it may be depression, other times it is just circumstance. But in your situation I would say it may just be temporary. Everyone goes through a period where they just don't want to interact. However, if it lasts longer and gets even worse I would try seeking help for it, as it could either evolve into depression, or stem from an existing condition similar to depression.

Now I'm no doctor, so my advice may not count for peanuts, but I just wanted to offer my opinion.

5. TheWanderer

These are the exact words I uttered to a therapist some time ago. His explanation was, I feel this way because those are the people who have an opinion that actually matters. There the people that actually know something about you.

With strangers you don't have to see them the next day. What they feel or portray is just a minor inconvenience to your day.

Aside from that I feel the same as you do. Or at least my interpretation of what you feel. The major difference is for me, is I like my solitude. I wouldn't have it any other way. Going to work or seeing people at stores etc. is really the only social interaction I require. Of course from time to time I long for more but that is usually short lived.

Is something wrong with you? Not sure can't really answer that. i don't think so.

As far as the rest is concerned if you knew anything about me I agree completely with the handbasket comment. I don't think people can change any course or cause for what is going to happen. All one can really do is keep looking ahead, hoping to dodge a missile only to be hit with a bullet. Maybe put a pretty pink bow on ones handbasket.

Can I come??

6. adam88

I did this too, admittedly before coming out. I was so convinced my friends would all ask awkward, embarrassing questions that I started pushing some of them away. It wasn't pretty. :frowning2: After coming out, though, I have no issue. Just all my pre-existing ones.

Sounds like depression to me.

For me, what I found was a new group of friends. What we'd do is get together on the full moon, drink wine, bust out musical instruments (I'm about as musical as broken triangle) and record the results, producing an album from what we recorded at that jam session. We started small and the movement attracted new people. I used to be the guy that sat in the corner with a pad of paper, making album art or shouting out song ideas, then got some bongos (I DO have rhythm, against all odds) and finally the occasional vocals.

We did this once a month, and once a month I had a) something to be proud of and b) something to look forward to. Sadly, the key person (a close friend whom I miss greatly) left to teach English in Japan this year, and the parties just petered out. So, I've been having a difficult time so far, friends-wise. But I did it before, I can do it again! And hell, if I can do it, so can you. :slight_smile:

7. Kata

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I used to feel that way too. After school I would just go to sleep or sit an listen to music. At school I usually sat alone reading just to have an excuse to not talk with people.

Finally, I forced myself to go out. I started to volunteer in different projects so I was obliged to go out whether I liked it or not. Being active really helped. Although this feelings tend to come back, especially when I’m stressed out or worried.

8. Lotty

Bit strange, but it's sounds like you're describing me. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You just don't care if you're alone, that's all. It's seems strange to most people, because for some reason almost everyone likes to be with some other people. So they think it's strange if someone doesn't care about it. I don't think it's something you should worry about.

9. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I disagree, I think that if a lonely person is asking to share loneliness on a forum, that means they realized that they don't want to be lonely anymore. I know I am lonely but hell I wish I wasn't. Just like the lyric in my signature says, sometimes we might choose to live a safe life by the side, but we certainly don't have to like it.

10. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

"...I feel like I need to do something confidence-boosting, I just don't know what to do..."

Is there anything you've been threatening to do for a long time (eg learn how to play guitar or join a theatre group etc)? Perhaps now is the time to re-boot by trying something new--in the company of others (lessons).

11. maverick

I'm signed up at the gym. I keep talking about taking Zumba lessons there. I have even got all of them for the month written up on my calendar. But I have just been so listless that I haven't been able to make myself go to one. They look really fun though, and exercise always makes me feel better. I just don't know where all my energy went.

I think I'm eating badly, that's probably part of it. I've been skipping breakfast and lunch. But I haven't had much of an appetite either. :dry:

I should just make myself go to the gym. It'll kill several birds with one stone.

Oh yeah, and for anyone who has been living in an Amazonian rainforest for the last two years, this is Zumba:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4[/YOUTUBE]

12. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I am happy that you move in the right direction.

13. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Yes. Don't. No wonder.

IIRC, if one does not fuel one's body properly its metabolism slows down to reduce the rate that it begins consuming muscle and fat in response to a period of famine.

BTW. Is that the Kama Sutra two-step? :grin: