1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age gap

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cloud Nine 5, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Cloud Nine 5

[I made a post about an older guy before but this one is not about him, that guy turned out to be a psycho.]

What do you think about a 17 year old (about to turn 18 soon) going out with a 28 year old (for relationship, sex, or whatever)? Meeting in a public place and everything.

I know that a while ago I would've said no but now I don't even feel he's really 10 years older. Plus we actually talk so it's not like meeting a total stranger. Ideally I'd have a boyfriend around my age but that doesn't seem to be happening and I'm getting bored and sometimes you have to take risks.

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

wat!!!?? a pyshco? hav u actually met him yet?? or u 2 still talk on the phone??

3. Cloud Nine 5

He started spamming with text messages until I told him the phone was messed up online. He was way too weird.. I don't know why I considered it in the first place.

4. William1

Hey Cloud Nine 5, just be careful. Like I know I'm heaps younger than you, and like I don't have much experience and stuff, but I was in the same spot like a year ago. The guy was a lot older - like I was 12 and he was 40+, but I was really sucked in a bit, and it was only listening to the guys here that made me think about it. Oh and please don't think I am saying any bad stuff about ur guy, I'm just saying what happened with me.

I only met him a few times and I still don't know what he wanted - like he seemed to just want to be friends. But he said stuff about how hot I must be with chix and other stuff that made me feel not nice. So I don't see him nemore.

So like I said, just be careful. And I know ur probably bigger than me but still u better get to know him really well before ur alone with him. Just my 2p worth! :icon_bigg

5. 24601

Well, I don't really see a problem with age gaps if you're careful, especially since 18 to 28 isn't really that big of a gap anyway. But, I would wait until you're 18 before having sex (assuming that's the age of consent in your area, if it's 16, fire away), just to avoid any possible complications. You never know... and if it is really soon, I bet the time will pass quickly.

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

o cloud i dotn think u shud bother wiv him u shud b careful

7. Cloud Nine 5

It doesn't really matter you're just 13, at your age I had better judgement than I have now. I had a similar experience at 13 talking to someone who was older but I only did it so I could explore how I feel without planning a meeting.

And it's funny because now it's the other way around. I made a big mistake a few weeks ago meeting with someone who was older too so soon and we almost did it but I didn't get into it and wasn't even attracted. I gave another guy my phone number after literally 6 messages. Way unlike me and both were mistakes.

I probably should have said it on my first post but I'm not sure if generally I'm looking for actual sex or right now or company. I'm a virgin. Most of the guys I talk to are older so a relationship in most cases is ruled out rightaway, but I still talk to them regardless like something could happen and then I don't know how I feel about it later. I just scheduled for tomorrow with someone but I think I'll cancel.
    (That doesn't have to do with the guy this thread is originally about... we actually talk)

Risks at this point might be good but on the other hand, when life's empty then all you do is overanalyze your regrets afterwards. I guess I won't know unless I try?

#7 Cloud Nine 5, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  8. Jim1454

I don't think that kind of age gap is that big a deal... If you're actually chatting with him on the phone or online, and you seem to hit it off, then I think it would be great to meet in public.

My only word of caution - don't get your hopes up too high. You might meet in person and he gives you the creeps - which would be a big disappointment.

Ok - two words of caution. Also decide up front, before you meet (either with yourself, or in fact in discussion with him) how much you are and are NOT going to do on your first meeting. Even if he's totally hot - and I have my fingers crossed for you - you should decide before you even see him that you're only going to have a coffee, and if you like him, give him a hug (and maybe a kiss!) goodbye. And stick to that! It's easier to do if you've made that clear before you meet him. If you think that he might be 'relationship' material, there's no need to rush into anything the first time you get together. It will leave you both wanting more the next time, or you'll be glad you didn't go farther because he ends up being another psycho...

Does that make sense? Anyone else have suggestions?

9. Tom

Tom Guest

dont worry about the age gaps, if you think or know u can/do love him then thats all that matters. and thats it, there shudnt be any other masjor factors involving relationships.

and if your planning to meet up then dont do it light heartedly and just organise it if you dont truly want to, theres nothing forcing you to. and then plan to meet in afew months, if the guy can wait that long and when tht time comes then u will find that the guy that does wait will be better than any of those you arranged to meet up with quite soon. unless u spend a while gettin to know sum1 you do not truly know sum1 and if you will be attracted to them. there will be the occasion that you meet sum1 that you like instantly, but even then meet up atleast 2 weeks later and talk to them ALOT before you do meet up, communication is key and dont think that u have 2 talk in person to get to know sum1 better online or the phone can be nearly as good and meeting in real life will just add the physical factor, ie bein able to touch eaotha.

i know tht i did meet up with a guy 2 weeks 3 days after we first spoke on here but i had spoke to him 4+ hours a day, everyday and by then i did know him pretty well. we were even arranging to meet up in january first to give us some extra time but hes goin south africa, well gone today, and we wanted to meet up before then and i can honestly say it was the best day of my life.

#9 Tom, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  10. Cloud Nine 5

Yes, it makes perfect sense. Nice to see you don't think the age gap is crazy... I couldn't believe he was 28, he looks 20 or so. I'm not sure about his character yet but we talked for about 15 minutes on the phone and sex was mentioned for only a minute which is more than I can say for the guy I "scheduled" with for tomorrow. That one was annoying but hot, I said "maybe" because I'm not sure what I'm looking for, he started talking about meeting before knowing my name. Generally I didn't like his type too but how much can you tell about someone in 10 minutes.

#10 Cloud Nine 5, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  11. SpikySpice

Well, if you think he is too weird or if you dont feel comfortabl or he buggung you to much, tell him to stop

And about age gap, it is not a big deal in teh society now, being younger sometimes dose benefit you alot, you can be protected from the older, you can l;earn things from them cuz they are more experieneced

It dosent matter if you two truely in love, but sometimes cuz different ages have different opinions about things you know

12. Tom

Tom Guest

it shudnt say dont truly want to, the dont shudnt be there! and there shud be a but after the comma. i went and got a drink and forgot what i had wrote b4 lol

13. paul7836

I dont see anything wrong with going out with someone 10 years older, it might be ackward at times, but love knows no limits. We love who we love and cant change that. So i say go for it. Its all a mater of what you feel is right. And its even better if he seems less older, then you have more to relate to.

14. Nerdtendo

When it comes to relationships, and as long as it's legal, age is just a number.

What I hate is when I go to a movie theater, buy a ticket from an 18 year old, only to have it torn apart by a 60 year old. O.O

15. rairai

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think age is just a number and it shouldn't matter how old they are!!

16. Louise

I think that if you meet this guy in a public place there is no problem. Older people can bring you a great deal of stability and help you form a steady relationship. Depends a bit on what you are looking for.

I was 17 when I met my first boyfriend of 28, divorced with 3 kids, we had a great 2 years together before I left to travel around Europe.

Age doesn't make much difference if you are both looking for the same thing. I would however try to define what you are looking for. Look deep within yourself and be brutally honest. If you really just want sex, so what go for it. Having said that gratuitous sex with a partner you don't love, even if there is mild attraction, can leave you feeling worse off than before, but that is just the way I feel about it.

If you really want a relationship then just take things easy, see how the land lies with this man, get a feel of what he is looking for and take it from there.

Good luck

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with the others here, especially Jim.

Meet somewhere public, just in case. Take it steady. Get to know him over a few meetings before you think about sleeping with him.

If it turns out that all he wants to do is get you into bed and is not interested in the getting-to-know-you bit, then maybe he isn't such a good bet as a potential boyfriend.

Of course if all you both want is sex and aren't interested in a relationship then it's a bit different, but it sounds like you are looking for more than just sex. I'm sure I don't need to remind you, but if/when you get to the sex bit make sure you play safe. :thumbsup:

18. Cloud Nine 5

It's true I need to really find out what I want, cause with the last guy I wasn't sure what I wanted (yet played along without being attracted to him). Then when it was time for sex, I backed out. It was bad at first but now I'm glad. He's not worth it.

I'd prefer a boyfriend. But I can't hold my breath... I need a change and I wasted way too much time.

What I do know is I prefer getting to know people a little better even if all we'll have is sex. At least for the first time and when it's an online date.

Thanks for everyone's advice as usual.

#18 Cloud Nine 5, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  19. cavillor

cavillor Guest

My personal standard is no more than two years younger or four older, but assuming you're comfortable with it I wouldn't say 18 and 28 is that egregious. Go with your own feelings, but temper them with thinking.

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wondering if there's any particular reason why most of the guys you talk to are older than you are? Have you had bad experiences with people your own age or something?