1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rairai, Oct 16, 2007.

1. rairai

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay I'm a lesbain and I'm trying to figure out how to come out to my dad... He's kind of a homophobe.... So any suggestions? and i feel like i need to because i feel like i'm lying to him.. and he's trying to hook me up with his bosses son... and i dont' like lying to him :bang: :tears: :help:

#1 rairai, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. paul7836

Wow sounds familier. (been there before) As far as coming out to you dad, i have no idea, maybe someone out to their dad can chime in.

3. rairai

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i like your signature ... :icon_bigg

4. rairai

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :eusa_doh: :icon_sad: Okay well i have decide i'm just going to come out and tell him today in about 2 hours auctally so everyone wish me luck!!:bang:

5. Louise

Good luck. I would just advise you to take a look in the support posts at the sticky post on greiving parents and some of the letters that have been posted here in the last few days from people wanting to come out to their parents.

This might help you find a way to present this to your dad in a non confrontational manner and for you to understand what he might be feeling after you have told him.

Although it is an enormous shock for parents most of them do come round because ultimately all we want for our children is for them to be happy and lead fulfilled lives.

Hope it all goes well for you :thumbsup:

6. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hmmm...this is a tricky one...

I'm not out to any of my family members yet, so this may not be SUPER GREAT advice. But I would probably leave telling him until the next time he mentions setting you up with someone. That way you're already discussing the topic of relationships, so you wouldn't have to be concerned about trying to bring the subject up yourself. I'd probably say something like "Dad, I know you're trying to help me find someone special, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with who you are choosing" If he asks why, just slowly tell him that you don't feel any attraction towards boys. Whether he is a homophobe or not, you have to do what feels right for you. I think I've said this before in saying that if every GLBT person lived a hetero lifestyle to please the people around us, there would be ALOT of angry closeted gays in the world!! :tantrum:

I hope everything goes well when you tell him. In the end, he is your father, so he should accept you for being honest with him. Best of luck :thumbsup:

7. rairai

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I DID IT!!! Woohoo!!! He didn't really react in they way i thought he would... He's said okay and he loves me no matter what!! I'm soo happy i'm crying !!! but omg i feel soo good right now!!:icon_bigg :thumbsup: :slight_smile: :grin:

8. Louise

YEAH (!) :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc (!) Good for you! I am just so happy for your that you dad took it so well.

CONGRATULATIONS

9. LorenzG1950

That's great (&&&) . The nice part is that the feeling lasts quite a long time. :eusa_clap

10. Grof142007

yay * Dances* i got that same reaction from my folks

11. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    OMG That's so cool!!! Congrats for being so brave!!!:eusa_clap

I'm glad it all went well for you. (!) (!)

12. Tom

Tom Guest

:thewave: congratulations!:thewave:

13. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

hey congrats

14. Zec24

Congrats, I'm glad your dad reacted well. That's always a good feeling to get a good reaction.

15. biisme

congratulations! you're so brave!

16. Kibuki kid

Thats great(!!)(!) :thumbsup: Im still too scared to tell my dad, its great to see some one thats so brave!