1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling elated

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by U N Owen, Jan 29, 2011.

1. U N Owen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off I feel slightly bad about putting this here especialy after reading radiantdawn's post but I have recently announced to my family that I was going to share something special with them tommorrow, and it has caused me to be in an unusualy high state of excitment. I do not know if this is normal but rather than dreading coming out to my family, it has caused me to be cheery. I have moved my self imposed two week deadline to tommorrow at dinner. I dropped a couple of hints that I have something special to say and my mom's first question was "Is it about a girl?" Luckily her second question was "Well is it about a boy?" Currently I have steadfastly refused to answer any questions until tommorrow, ad this has caused a build up of excitment in me. Generally I am a very introverted person but for some reason I seem to be in a very jubliant state. Maybe its becuase I am happy that my parents are happy. However on a side note my twin brother was unnaturaly depressed tonight which is a somewhat uncanny coincidence. Must be mystical twin powers at work. This state has even caused me to make this post a lot longer than I usualy make it. So I might as well get to my question. I'm wondering if there is any rational fear about coming out that is eluding me in my current state of elation and will come back and haunt me after I have?

2. radiantdawn

radiantdawn Guest

Ehh, don't worry about it : ) Seems like you have a great situation. And your brother mght just be upset for other reasons. So why not go and ask him what's wrong? You might be able to help him. But also, seems like you have nothing to worry about for tomorrow.

3. U N Owen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the quick response! Glad to know there is little to fear. My brother seems to be in a much better mood now so I am not sure what was going on.(!)

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is actually quite normal to feel nervous and excited when thinking and/or announcing that you want to come out to someone. If you feel excited and happy about coming out to them and being ready to share with them something very personal, that's awesome! :slight_smile:

Maybe tomorrow just before you take the step, you might feel a bit nervous. But here is the thing. When that happens just remind yourself that you seem to be okay and ready in taking that step. Before you talk to your parents, stand in front of the mirror, and just say out loud: 'today I want to come out to my parents.' If everything feels right, try going fot it.

You know your parents, and given the way you feel about coming out to them, it seems that things will be fine.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For some, coming out is something to look forward to, especially if they're quite certain people will take it well. They look forward to "being on the other side of it", when they don't have to hide that aspect of their personality anymore. So enjoy it. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Statistically, if you and your brother are identical, there is a much better chance that both of you are gay than for normal siblings. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I guess you're out by now or going to be soon, so either good luck or congrats! Don't be too worried, your mom sounds pretty chill about it.

7. V128

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The twins comment is true. Also, about the depression... 18 is one of those times. I was all over the place in a matter of 24 hours at 18. Or maybe he's sensing your elated state?

Anyway, good luck and good job! Looking forward to hearing that comes of it all!

8. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

I'm looking forward to reading about how things went.