1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugh.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by friedgabe, Jan 29, 2011.

1. friedgabe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel so disgusting.
    I feel like there is something seriously wrong with me.

I'm almost 17. I know I'm young and have a whole life ahead of me, but I just want to give up. Not kill myself, but just give up. I want all of my friends to stop talking to me. I want people to stop noticing me. I want to fade into the background. I want to be forgotten. I want to graduate high school next year and have no one remember me. I would like to never come back here, but my family wouldn't like that.

I'm ugly.

2. Eleanor Rigby

Hey (*hug*), first thing you are NOT ugly !

Second, why do you want to fade away this way ? Is it because of something that had happened at school or at home ? Is it a general feeling without any precise reason ? Have you been feeling this way for a long time ?
    Maybe you should consider talking about it with your school counselor. Just having someone to talk to and get those feelings out of your chest may help you feeling a bit better.

If there is anything you want to talk about, feel free to Pm me anytime (*hug*)
    Take care, Cécile

3. friedgabe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to fade away because I don't think I'm worthy of being known. It's just a general feeling I get when I think too much.
    I don't want to tell a counselor. I don't want to talk to anyone about it because I'm too embarrassed.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off: (*hug*)

I think you are being way to hard on yourself! You are not ugly! No one is! We all look different! We all come in different shapes and sizes. We all have our own distinctive features that make us, us. Can you imagine a world where we would all look alike?

Start building some self-esteem, and try to learn to like yourself, just the way you are. Over time, you will start to build self-love.

In starting to like yourself, try to observe yourself in the mirror. Just obverse yourself. Then try to notice the individual features and characteristics that make you, you. For example, when you observe yourself, try to focus on your eyes first and start saying saying out loud: "hey, my eyes look nice." Say that several times. The next morning/day repeat that. The day after that, focus on something else, and do the same thing. When you fix your hair in the morning, before you leave, or on your way out, just stop, look in the mirror, and say: 'I like my hair the way it is!' and smile while saying that.

The idea here is that you start looking at yourself differently and start drawing some self-esteem from yourself. Yes, it is not easy because we have the tendency to be very critical of ourselves. But that said, you can change that by reinforcing positive feelings.

Your family wouldn't like if you decided to fade away or never come back, because they care about you and what happens to you. And I'm pretty sure that your friends would feel the same way.

If people, including your friends and family, stop noticing you, who will see the qualities that you do have?

Cecile has posed some pretty good questions. If you can answer them. And as Cecile suggested, if you can, try seeing a school counselor to talk about things.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about. The feelings that you have, are an indication that there are underlying issues that come to the surface through the feelings that you are having.

Why do you feel that you are not worthy of being known?

(*hug*)

5. Eleanor Rigby

I'm sure your family and friends would disagree with that. You may not see that, but I am sure you're important to the people in your life. Not because of what you do or don't do, but because of who you are.
    See, most of my friends never accomplished anything special, but they are all special to me because of who they are, because of the way they care, because they were the ones who stood by me when times were rought.
    And I am sure that for the people who love you, it's exactly the same. You're irreplaceable, just because of who you are.

There is no reason to feel embarassed. This must be a very painful feeling.
    It's ok if it just occure from time to time, but the feeling of being unworthy is one of the symptomes of depression. If you think you may be depressed, or if this feelings of being unworthy became permanent, talking about it to someone and getting some help would be helpful.

Take care, (*hug*) Cécile

6. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Friedgabe, when you get some free time, listen to this song. It will help you out for sure.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akofr1ksfnA&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

7. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey friedgabe,
    I think everyone is like that at one point or another i know i sure did.Also your not ugly : / so don't say that.if your thinking to much, find something to fill your spare time with so you don't sit and think and let stuff go around and around in your head,well that is what i did. seems to be working for me atm :slight_smile: keep your chin up bud, better days are ahead sir :grin:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My experience has been that we actually don't do a too-bad job at judging our own merits and drawbacks, although we tend to dwell on the negative stuff quite a bit. The real mistake comes in sizing up everybody else. We more-or-less accurate decide that we're imperfect beings with plenty of hang-ups and issues and less-than-ideal traits. But for some reason, we fall into this trap of thinking that we're the only ones like that. Fact is, everybody's like that. We're all just a bunch of neuroses and issues wrapped up in human skin. We all cringe looking in the mirror, and we all hate dealing with our issues.

I say this not to make you feel hopeless about the human condition, but to point out the playing field is actually quite level. You're "worthy" of existence because you're in the same boat as the rest of humanity. But if you're going to enjoy the trip, it's going to fall on your shoulders to plot your course in such a way that it's enjoyable. And from I've found, that's something that's within the grasp of absolutely everybody. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. roborama

first off hi! and ive totally been in your shoes. it sucks but it can get better. maybe youre not in the best place in your life right now but next year will be different, just dont lose yourself in the meantime... remember youre worth it

10. lochnessyani

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    your not ugly. you have a whole life ahead of you.you souldn't give up just yet. get a boyfriend, go to a party, have some fun.

11. gaius

gaius Guest

Steps to take:

1-buy mirror
    2-look in it
    3-realise you are hot
    4-high five yourself in the mirror
    5-skip away smiling

learn to see yourself the way other people see you x

12. friedgabe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everyone, it really means a lot to know that people care.
    I hung out with my friends today, which made me feel better. :slight_smile:

I've been feeling this way for years. I took pills at one point, but during that point it seemed like everyone was always disappointed because I used meds to make me happy.

I don't know.

13. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Look Fried Gabe. We all feel ugly on some days and acceptable on other days. You look at someone else that you want, and you want to be just like him, to be looked at and wanted. But turn around, look at your surroundings. You are already wanted.

Maybe because you are into musical theater and acting and singing you are the kind of person that's not satisfied with just the people around you wanting you. You want the world to worship you. Well, we all fantasize about that some times, but that is just unrealistic. Come on.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I'm glad that hanging out with friends made you feel better. Keep doing that!

You can learn how to be happy even without meds. Learning to be happy and also that you are worthy will take some time. Realize that we all have our own insecurities, but often times we can work on them and try to learn how to see things differently. Try to start working on your insecurities. Try to learn to accept the things that you can't change, but work on the things that you do have control over. :slight_smile:

If you have felt like this for a long time, it is time that you do talk with someone about it. (*hug*)

15. This ^

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2011 at 09:04 PM ----------

Needing medication for something like this is NOT something for anyone to judge. I personally have to take medication every single day for the rest of my life to keep my moods stabilized, and I figure it's the same things as people who have other medical problems and need medication for them. What if you were diabetic? What if you needed medicine for pain or blood pressure or anything else? It's the same.

So, I guess my point is, you may not need medication or you may find that you do need it, but needing that is nothing to be ashamed of and if anyone tries to make you feel ashamed tell them they can shove it.

16. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

They were likely concerned for your well-being.

Non-pharmaceutical/healthy/honest/lasting solutions are the *only ones worth exploring IMO. (Says he after nearly drinking himself to death at one point.)

*EDIT: thedreamwatch makes a good point re what is likely to be professionally prescribed medication.

BTW. Assuming they watch their weight, don't smoke, and choose to imbibe infrequently (if at all), as masculine-looking guys (like yourself) age they don't look older, they look ever more distinguished (see the film careers of many of Hollywood's leading men).

In contrast, youthful pretty boys (who typically go for str8-acting & looking guys IME) have a tougher time contending with that inexorable increase in the annual candle count.

While I think of it: how's your wardrobe? If one looks good, then one feels better. And if one feels better, then one looks great!

#16 MIJ VI, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  17. friedgabe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks a lot you guys! It means so much to know that people care!
    :slight_smile:

18. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest