1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coworker's Son

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Jan 30, 2011.

1. EM68

The past couple of days have been real tough for me. Right now I am so physically and emotionally tired. I found out during the Saturday morning meeting at work that a coworkers son passed away. He was 16 and he apparently killed himself. We all work together long hours so we are all a second family. A few of the women that I work with cried uncontrollably and many men were on a verge of tears. Even the woman that outed me, who has a very hard exterior and seems to only care about herself, was crying so hard she was shaking. I went over and hugged her trying to comfort her.

Yesterday was a hard day trying to work in front of the public keeping a strong front, while crying on the inside. On the way home I lost it and starting sobbing. When I saw my bf last night I just cried in his arms. I am still crying while typing this. I just found out through Facebook that he was bullied. There is a memorial page set up for him.

I feel so helpless. I did sent my condolences to my coworker but it does not seem to be enough. Looking on Facebook I realized how many lives this tragedy touched...not only his family and friends but the whole community. I know that there are many people on EC that are going through a tough time and some who thought of committing suicide. Just remember that life in so precious and no matter what you are going through now as tough at it may be, it does get better. If you need to talk to someone and get help do it! Your life is worth it!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Ed! I'm really sorry to hear that your co-worker's son has committed suicide as a result of bullying. (*hug*) It is terrible that things like this happen and that people only start listening when it is too late.

Being there for your coworker and offering your support is all you can do at this point. Let your co-worker know that you are there for him/her and are ready to listen any time he/she needs it. (*hug*)

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Big hugs Ed!! Just knowing that you care will help your friend. Maybe even some good can come from this horrific thing if the lady who outed you learns to be a more compassionate person. I just can't imagine what these parents are going through. :frowning2:

4. I'm very sorry to hear this (*hug*)

It sounds like you are doing a lot to help the people around you who are also dealing with this tragedy, but it IS okay for you to be just as upset as they are about it.

Also, You should say ^THIS. Tell people that there are answers other than suicide. Let people know that bullying is such a big problem. I had a friend who committed suicide and I have often wondered if he was bullied and if I could have done something had I known.

Maybe trying to get the word out about these issues and that may actually save some lives.
    (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

5. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

R.I.P. young man. 'Only sixteen... :'(

I don't know what to say EM68... (*hug*)

--------

Listen up any depressed youngsters who are reading this:

DON'T DO IT!

Yeah, it's your life. But it's OUR lives too!

6. Eleanor Rigby

I'm so sorry that your co-worker's son had committed suicide (*hug*). This is terrible that so many people are going through such a hard time at such a young age.
    I'm sure you're going to find a way to be there for your co-worker and help her going through this tragedy.
    With love (*hug*) Cécile

7. EM68

Thank you all for your kind words and support. The news that he was bullied and it contributed to his death is really bothering me. I kept on waking up all night. I am so sad. His death seems so pointless.

8. maverick

So sorry to hear about this Ed, and you have my deepest condolences. I think that between the conditions of our country, the recession, and the increasing callousness and cruelty of our society (while, ironically, they become more connected) it seems like some young people have just given up hope for change or happiness. They have become nihilists full of despair. It is a waste and a tragedy - I feel so sorry for him. :frowning2:

9. British Lad

British Lad Guest

One day, nobody will be bullied, one day nobody will be discriminated against.
    R.I.P young Lad