1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

too early for prom concerns?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by roborama, Jan 31, 2011.

1. roborama

okay so the issue is i dont know if i should buy a dress for prom. believe it or not a lot of my friends have already got theres and the stores around here run out fast of the cute ones. but i dont know if im going to want to go in three months. i mean all dances are mega grind fests and its just extreamly awkward for me, especially since id probably be bringing a girl (yes that opens a whole new can of worms). but i dont want to be missing out; its so big in my school that as you can tell people are already talking about it so do i want to be there? or should i go to pride prom a couple towns over? help me please:slight_smile:

2. TheRoof

well, of course, it depends on how you feel about it.
    If you don't wanna miss out, I guess you should get the dress quick before other bisches take them :grin: But then again, you're only 16 now, so you'll have plenty more opportunities to go to prom later on, like on junior or senior year.
    Also, can't you buy it right now, and if you change your mind later not to go, maybe you could return it to the store?
    Also yea grinding dance moves are very uncomfortable (at least for me; omg i saw so many guys and girls grinding i thought they were having sex or something LMAO) but that don't mean you should do the whole grinding thing. I had so much fun dancing with my friends without doing the whole grinding thing (but i was prone to doing the jersey shore fist pumps haha)
    So yea, my advice for you is, if you feel like you are going to have a good time, then go. If you're unsure, buy the dress for now, return it if you change your mind. Either way, you'll have plenty more chances to go to prom :slight_smile:
    Hope I helped!

3. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Hi hdryjo.

- Have you ever been to a prom before?
    - Are your schoolmates going to be cool about you bringing your girlfriend?
    - What will she be wearing?
    - Can't you invest in a two piece outfit which can be worn on other occasions later on?

4. roborama

she might wear a tux or suit; shes not big on dresses but i am haha. its only my junior prom yes, its just hard when a majority of my friends are seniors and wont quit yapping about it you know? and ive been to a pride prom at a college (best time ever!) and a few semi formals at my school but thats before i came out sooo this will probably be much different. thanks for the advice!

5. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Alrighty. A dress it is then and you've already been to school environment social function where LGBT folks were in the majority.

So the main sticking point re whether or not you choose to attend your school's prom is this 'grind fest' style of dancing (which presumably many of the other students will be engaged in)?

'Seems to me that since you'd be going to this prom your own way - with your girlfriend - then there's no reason that you can't dance your own way too. Just have fun.

As to whether you go to your school's prom or to the pride prom? I suppose that depends on how you read your school's student body's attitude towards LGBT'ers.

Have you asked about security arrangements for the school prom and for the pride prom? There should be something about this on the respective schools' web sites.

Is the school prom going to be chaperoned by staff members (to weed out possible drugs, booze, and non-student hooligans)?

Are any parents going to be in attendance?

At functions like these there's nearly always a few irresponsible types who drink and drive.

Please make sure that you and your girlfriend have a safe ride there and back. Travelling as part of a group of friends with a designated driver is worth considering.

Bring cell phones and set up a buddy system with prearranged meeting points in case the group gets separated.

Please try to avoid winding up in a situation where you have to travel with strangers and/or drivers who've been drinking and remain aware of your surroundings, don't accept drinks from strangers, and if you get distracted from keeping an eye on a beverage that you are drinking, then please toss it and order a fresh one.

In short: please plan ahead to ensure that whichever prom you go to turns out to be a night to remember for all the right reasons.

6. Flyers2011

I felt that way about my senior Homecoming, and my (ex)-girlfriend convinced me to go. It wasn't a bad time. Considering they banned grinding everyone got pissed off and left so they could grind in the parking lot (while its raining on an October night in Ohio, I'm sure it was fun and warm).

But it's always a lot of fun, even if you don't have someone to go with as a date. I've been to three dances "stag" and I just chilled with friends and laughed at the slutty girls grinding.

And if you do go with a date, you guys don't have to grind. I had three different dates to three different dances and I didn't grind with any of them. We just weren't comfortable with it. You guys can always make up your own dances and do the slow dances.

You have some time, just think about what will allow you to have the most fun.