1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First date

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MMAnick, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MMAnick

I might be going on a date with a guy for the first time this friday. I met a guy on this website and we were talking so I asked "do you wanna get to know me better." He said yes and when i asked how he was going to do that he asked me to see a movie.

Im kind of scared a bit because if all goes right this will be my first date with a guy. No one knows that he is gay so hopfully no one I know or he knows happens to be at the movies too.

Another reason I hope alot of people arent there is that i want to try and hold his hand during the movie and/or pull up the arm rest and get closer (I like do get cuddly and stuff :lol: ) but not sure how to do that...I'm very shy.

Is there any advice on what I should do, dress, say, or start to get closer if everything goes good? Anything would be helpfull thanks :slight_smile:

2. zeratul

zeratul Guest

To be honest, I once read a dating guide that said movies are the worst activities for dates because it doesn't really allow the two people to communicate well. Why don't you go and have a nice day at the beach?

Edit: Actually, my favorite place to go would be a zoo. To see the orangutans. Love those. If you like animals too maybe its better to do that. And I guarantee you none of your friends or acquaintances will show up at the zoo.

#2 zeratul, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  3. MMAnick

That sounds like a great idea honestly.....but the nearest zoo is an hour away and the nearest beach is 4hrs away lol.

4. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Well I guess you can always just go to the movies. But when I was still closeted, I went on "dates" with this girl and went to the movies and stuff, she and I never really connected well and I felt that she was boring and she felt I was boring, even though we tried to like each other (obviously, i was not attracted to her by brain chemistry, but i never even felt that it was a very fun/rewarding friendship either) which is why I am trying to warn people off of movies for their first dates. Maybe later on when the relationship develops it will definitely be a chill safe choice.

5. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Hi MMAnick.

*puts mother hen hat* Please make sure that you're not being set up. Meet at first in a public place with witnesses about and avoid secluded spots until you know this guy a bit. If he's legit and you both dig each other you'll start going steady anyway.

My $.02

6. InaRut

I'm a film buff so if someone took me to a movie, I'd probobly be offended and walk out questioning, "Why did you think Transformers 3 was a good movie for me to see?"

Juuussstt kidding. Actually I agree with above comments, movie dates aren't the greatest because...well people get mad if you start saying, "So? Where do you work?" during the part where the dad finds out he has cancer.

Still, if your committed to the whole movie idea, make sure you do something before or after that gives you plenty of time to talk. Prefably before, so you know this guy checks out. A.k.a Coffee...or the classic Dinner AND a movie.

Now lets say your SUPER into this guy and your seeing the film. Your going to have a moment where you say, "Should I hold his hand? Wrap my arm around him? I mean if I just move my hand a bit..." The best way to remedy that is to calm yourself and just do it but saying within your brain, "f**k it." The best way to practise this idea is by inventing a little man in your head who will respond with only the words, "Don't be a b**ch, Do it."

Anytime that I have been in a date scenario that's usually how I get by. Besides with the right timing and a little bravery...A little of confidence can go a long way. :slight_smile: