1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about going to a youth program.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kso1995, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kso1995

So ive been thinking about going to a gay youth program for a while and im super nervous of actually going and im not sure how things work there so if anybody knows what they do or if you go to one please comment :slight_smile:.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The queer group I've gone to a couple of times tends to start with a kind of getting-to-know-you exercise. I think the one I remember involved randomly picking cards, each one with a silly question on it, and you had to give your name and answer the question. There was then some kind of discussion - I remember a Gay and Lesbian Liaison police officer coming to talk to us about safety and what you can do if you get assaulted - and then it was pretty much just social time. They're pretty fun, especially if you have a good group of people :slight_smile: Have fun!

3. Eleanor Rigby

I think it's a great idea :slight_smile: I imagine that you're nervous about it, but keep in mind all the people who will attend it with you are going to feel the same way, or have been there if they've been attending for a while already.
    I hope you're going to have fun. Let us know about it :slight_smile:
    Take care, Cécile

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like it might be a good idea. :slight_smile: Just remember that EVERYBODY in there was once in your shoes - walking in for the first time, scared about what people would think, all of that. And feel free to be upfront about being nervous. They'll probably react quicker to help put you at ease. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my suggestions would be to see if you can get the email address of one of the leaders and email them, tell them you're really shy and nervous, and ask what it's like. Since that person will undoubtedly have run into that before (nearly every gay person has experienced what you're feeling, as lex said) s/he will probably offer to be the one you first talk to and will introduce you to the rest of the group.

I think you'll find that it's a lot less scary once you actually get yourself in the door :slight_smile:

6. Hey! Actually I just sort of did a similar thing yesterday! I went to an LGBTQ Pride Alliance meeting and I was TERRIFIED, but everyone was cool, nobody judged me and everybody just seemed to be understanding about what we've ALL been dealing with. And the reality was, I didn't have to do too much talking at first, but getting there was a big step and it felt good---SO, I recommend it! I think it's a great thing to have people around you who have been where you are.

7. Kso1995

thanks for all your replies ill make sure ill go to one now :slight_smile: and hopefully my experience will be as great as all of yours.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup:

I can only encourage you to go. Hope it goes well for you too. :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes!

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going there sounds liek the right thing to do.

And gay groups really aren't all that different from straight youth organisations. Think of it more as a bunch of guys and girls getting together for some fun activities, but with the added benefit you already have something in common. There really is nothing quite like knowing that other people understand what you are going through.

Let us know how it goes!