1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have any advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Singledad0755, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Singledad0755

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would like to know if anyone can suggest any free websites where I can go to chat with other guys that are in the closet and in my area

2. guacj

Well this site is definitely a good one. What do you need to talk about?

3. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

This site is good, but you need to become a full member if you want to access the actual chatrooms.

4. maverick

Single - This is not a hookup website if that's what you're looking for, and it's against the rules for anyone to recommend a website like that to you. A Google Search will probably get you something in line with that. These forums are more like a support group.

That being said, you can probably find some people in your area here on these boards to talk to if you wand advice or general support. Just not meet up for rendezvous, if you get my drift.

If you're not looking for a hookup, forget I said anything. But that was the impression that I got from your OP.

#4 maverick, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can talk with people here using their walls (click on someone's username to take you to their profile and you can post there)

If you're seeking support, there are quite a number of people in their late 20s and beyond who are closeted and seeking to talk to others. In fact, you likely won't find another community on the 'net that provides the kind of support for closeted people that you'll find here on EC.

But if you're looking to meet up with people... this is definitely not the place for you, and sharing any sort of information that would allow outside contact either here in the forums or on one's wall is not permitted (the large red box at the top of each page says more.)

I think you'll find we're a friendly bunch who can probably help a lot with what you're going thorough if you give it a try, and you can learn a lot by reading some of the threads and participating in some of the conversations that are going on. :slight_smile:

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Unfortunately, due to the rules in place, you won't be able to use the chat room on EC until you have 50 posts and have been a member for at least two weeks. Now, that being said, I do encourage you to stick around because EC is probably the best site you will find for support/advice and sharing your story with others. Feel free to click on users' profile and perhaps start a wall conversation.

Now, in addition to 'hanging' out on EC, I would suggest that you look up some LGBT resources in your area/community. Although you are not out yet, and it might be nerve wracking at first, I would encourage you trying to contact or join a LGBT support group. Often times, when we start listening to others' experiences and start sharing our own, things start making more sense, and seem less daunting. PFLAG might be a good organization to start with. Find the chapter that is nearest you, and try contacting them.

Starting to build up your support network can really help in self acceptance, and your coming out process. LGBT support and/or social groups often are an important part of that support network.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I would like to know if anyone can suggest any free websites where I can go to chat with other guys that are in the closet and in my area

Yes.

Lex

8. Jim1454

Hi there.

As someone who has 'been there, done that' I feel like I have to ask you the question why you're looking for that?

If you're in the closet - just like I was for quite a while - the healthiest thing for you to do is to figure out how to get out of it. Trying to find people who are in their own respective closet just means you're spending a lot of time in closets, and not very much time living a real and authentic life. And trust me - life outside of the closet is WAY better than it was inside.

So what is it that is stopping you from living an open, honest and authentic life? Let's have that conversation instead of figuring out how to prolong the secrecy and lies. Because if you are, as your screen name indicates, a single dad, your kids can likely handle the truth about you better than you think they can. Story after story shared here suggest that kids are pretty accepting and understanding around this. It is not going to damage them - if done properly.

Let me know if you do want to talk more about this. Either in this thread, or one on one through private messages. (I'm a member of staff - so I can exchanges messages with those who are not yet 'full members'.)