1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting new people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wallrose, Feb 3, 2011.

1. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've got no problem with the friends I have, they are as good as friends can be. But I can't really relate to them, or talk to them, beyond just a normal conversation.
    I have no gay friends, I don't know anyone who is gay, and I don't think that anyone within 10k of me is gay. I really want at least one friend who I can talk to about my problems with coming out, and get some advice of support from. Someone who I know has gone through, or is going through the same stuff, and who understands me completely when I talk to them about it.
    I do have a friend who is lesbian, but I can never get into contact with her, so I can't really talk to her about anything. So beyond that, I have nobody to talk to.
    For all I know, all my friends might be gay, but I wouldn't be able to tell. I have a negatively functioning gaydar. Seriously, I think that little 6th sense some people have that reveals to them who is gay, for me, actually works to hide them from me.
    Also, not knowing anyone gay completely destroys my hope of finding a boyfriend, but that's not at the top of my priorities.

There is a support group in my area, but the meetings are at horrible times for me. I have checked, and my school has nothing even resembling a LGBT group. Otherwise I would go to a gay group to meet some new people.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Could you not call the support group and ask them if they have something outside of their regular meeting times? Do they have regular social events that might be around the times when you could join them?

You could also ask them if they could give you a few more leads as to whether there are other groups that you could have a look at, and that might have better meeting times?

3. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well no, not really. The group does have meetings at a more appropriate time for me, but it's on the other side of the city, so I can't really do that.
    I can get by without someone to talk to, it's not that important, but it would just be nice to be able to talk to a friend who completely understands my situation.

4. ccooper0602

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about here, in Empty Closets? Does it have to be in person or would you feel fine doing one one one time in e-mails? Think of it like a pen pal. I've no problem helpin out.

5. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, that's the thing. I can get plenty of advice, or support, or whatever here, on the internet, from people on the other side of the world.
    But what I can't get, is advice and support from a friend, in person, sitting next to me.

6. volleyren

I second this motion. In a city as large as Canberra, there are bound to be other GLBT groups out there. Being 16, you might find them inconvenient if they're a few neighborhoods away... but if you're willing to make the effort and ask around, I'm fairly confident you can find something which can work for you and your schedule.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm no help in your area of need really, but I wanted to say that you're not alone; I've got the same malfunctioning sense as you. Oofta! :eusa_doh: I do wish you the best though and at your age, you've got enough time to find some good people who you mesh well with :slight_smile: