1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just want to be normal, but I'm at war with the world.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maverick, Feb 3, 2011.

1. maverick

When I came out transgendered, my family pretty much said, "Think however you like, and date women if you want, but any change you make to your body is a mutilation and an affront to God, and we won't stand for it."

Their main issue is with hormone treatment. They think it's sick and unnatural. They think I should just be a lesbian and learn to love my feminine body as a neutral extension of my masculine self, a blank canvas (other than the genitalia). They tell me I don't need to physically represent the male form in every regard to be masculine. They say that all people encompass both aspects, and that wanting to change my body is sexist because women can do everything that men can do.

I'm really torn about transition because of their attitudes towards it, and my own. Presenting as totally male is impossible for me because of my breasts, which I'd really like to have reduced to almost nothing if not entirely removed since they contribute a lot to my gender dysphoria.

But I don't know if full FtM transition - hormones and all - is necessary for me to be happy as a transgendered person. I'm afraid that extreme body modification to make myself more male will only make me unattractive to either sex because I'll be physically stuck "in the middle". Also, I'm worried about being cast out by my family because of it. And I don't have the money to transition. So far I haven't even gotten up the guts to walk into the gender clinic even though I know exactly where it is and even got so far as driving there. But I couldn't make myself walk in.

I hate doctors and therapists with a passion. I don't want to be tested and poked and prodded to find out if I'm intersexed, even if it only confirms a condition that I already feel. I don't want to be anyone's psychiatric guinea pig. I don't want to have to explain that I'm transsexual to everyone new that I meet. I don't want to do the Real Life Experience. I don't want to come out to coworkers or friends - I'm socially phobic enough without being singled out. I don't want to walk down the street and have to worry about being harassed or murdered. I don't want to be a walking punchline.

I just want to be able to be treated like a normal guy. That's it. I'm so angry about being a biological misfile right now it makes me sick. I've never been so furious over something in my life.

At this point, I feel like if someone did harass me, they'd have the fight of their life on their hands. I feel like if someone pushed me the wrong way, I have enough rage built up to put them in the hospital instead of turning the other cheek like I normally would. It's almost like I want someone to pick a fight with me.

I don't like feeling like that. I've never been so out-of-touch with my emotions in my life. I'm usually the most peaceful, laid-back dude I know, and that's my reputation with people. I've never had anger management issues before, and I don't even know how to resolve my feelings because they're not directed at any particular person or thing or institution.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not actively taking these feelings out on anyone, I just feel so consumed with hatred and detachment. It's a creeping, cold resentment, but it's there. I understand it's probably just a part of the "anger" stage of grief, but understanding that doesn't make me feel better about it. :icon_sad:

Thoughts? Advice? I just don't know what to do. I've been avoiding every person I know because I feel like people can read these feelings all over my face even when I try to cover them up.

2. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Hey, I just want to add from a scientific perspective, I am concerned that hormone treatment can cause unexpected changes to yourself that you may not like. And how does such treatment affect your longevity/life expectancy down the road.

I am all for sex change operations, but if I were in tour situation I would just be wary of the fact that biological sciences have not been 100% figured out yet.

3. maverick

Yeah, it's something I'm definitely concerned about as well (cancer and whatnot from hormone treatments). And the concept of manipulating my body physically like that kind of weirds me out. But I'm doctor-phobic and doctors would be an inherent part of that process.

4. Jim1454

I'm not sure what to say, but having read your post I thought I'd at least offer a hug.

(*hug*)

I can't really relate to how you're feeling or what you're going through. But what did come to mind is that you might really benefit from going into that clinic. Going in doesn't mean that all of those things that you don't want to do will happen. What it does mean is a couple of things:

A) You'll be better informed (presumably) about the process than you are now. Perhaps there are some myths that will be 'busted' or some new approaches that you're not aware of.

B) At a minimum, you might actually meet someone who CAN relate to what you're going through and how you're feeling. And THAT would probably go a lot farther than the stuff from point A.

While you don't want to be someone's psychiatric guinea pig, I sense that you would benefit from having someone to talk to. I don't know enough about your history to understand why you have an aversion to doctors and therapists... because I think everyone should have a therapist. I found it SO helpful to talk about how I was feeling and to hear from an unbiased 3rd party some suggestions about how to deal with what I was facing in life. It was great!

Finally, if your parents just don't get it, then you can't expect to get any support from them. Seek out people who do get it, and see what they have to say about your situation.

All I hope is that at some point soon, you find the peace and serenity that you deserve on this incredibly personal and fundamental situation in your life.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to decide what you want to do with your body hun. It's your body not your parents. If you feel you need to change, then change, but if you feel you can live as you are, then live as you are.

6. Maverick, I can't even imagine how hard this is, but let me just say, I definitely feel for you.

A couple of things,

1. Just like Revan said, you have to decide the body that you want to have. You deserve to outwardly be the person you are inside. You deserve to be happy with who you are. You deserve to be treated the way that you want to be treated. As far as the money goes, there are ways to raise it and save it. It will be hard but it's possible.
    All that aside, the reality is, if you just do what your parents or anyone else pushes you to do, there's a good chance you will bear resentment for that forever. No one wants that. You don't, and they won't either.

2. I think that maybe going to the clinic is a good idea. Best case scenario, you learn, you relate and maybe you find some peace in that. Worse case scenario, you're back where you started.

I hope that this helps, even just a little. You're in my thoughts. (*hug*)

7. maverick

I have a problem confiding in/trusting people, which is why doctors are particularly problematic. I don't even like being asked about general symptoms, much less intimate details about my personal life.

One of my biggest issues with the whole thing is that I feel like sex reassignment surgery has become "trendy" in medical circles, and that society's solution for butch women is to encourage their transition. And having read this from another transman:

^ I like being androgynous/genderqueer as I am right now, and just because there's a disconnect between my feminine body and my masculine mind doesn't mean that I hate my body (except for the tits thing, but even if I was a woman I would be unimpressed with having to carry around the rack I think). Any "mental suffering" I've been dealing with lately hasn't had anything to do with being transgendered, it's been about acceptance, just like any normal 'mo's coming out. As weird as it is, I'm used to being a guy in a girl's body. I get frustrated by it, but what are you gonna do?

I feel like dressing up like one of the guys and acting/speaking like a guy presents me as male to society and alleviates the overwhelming bulk of my dysphoria, but without the considerable disfigurement that breast removal and phalloplasty would entail (the latter of which I'm completely uninterested in). I am just confused because I don't know whether all of these medical treatments and tests would be any more useful in helping me be comfortable in my own skin than just giving myself a little time to accept myself as a "butch" bisexual would. As much as I'd love to wave a magic wand and make myself biologically male, it ain't gonna happen and doctors ain't gonna make it happen, either. I'm coldly realistic about that.

As far as my parents go, I agree with them that sex reassignment surgery is really extreme, but I don't want them to think that I'm backing off of the idea simply because they think I'd make a better lesbian than a transman. I've always been a feminist, so it's weird to think that I don't have the freedom to express whatever degree of masculinity I'd like within the context of a female body. After all, lesbians all over the world do it every day, right?

I just can't stand the idea of being caught in the middle one way or another. As it is, lesbians hit on me now that I have accepted my homosexuality and have relaxed my "cover" long enough to ping on the gaydar of others, and I frankly enjoy the attention from femmes.

But if I transitioned, I don't feel like I would have the equipment to interest men or the physical appearance to interest women anymore. At the same time, androgyny is supposed to be sexually attractive, isn't it?

I don't know what to think about any of it, really. Other than seeking therapy, I haven't the slightest idea what to do. But thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it. It really just helps me to write it all out so I can see what my own thoughts are about it....

8. TheRoof

Hey,
    i don't have much helpful advice to offer, but thought i'd offer a hug (*hug*)
    I think I can relate, to some extent, because I've always felt like I was trapped in a guy's body, when I'm really more feminine inside. And that feeling is tough thing to handle.
    As for the actual sex-changing stuff, like hormones and such, i think it's something you have to decide. As Revan said, it's your body, not anyone else's.
    If you truly feel like you are going to benefit emotionally from these procedures, then I should say it's an option that you can consider.
    Personally, for me, I think my life would have been easier if I was a girl. At the same time, I don't have the guts to actually do the sex change, and I don't think it's going to make a major impact on myself, my self-esteem, emotions...etc at this point. I'd like to think that our outer/exterior appearances contribute, to some extent, to happiness, but that's the point: it's something that can help you feel happier, but there's a limit to it. Rest depends on our inner selves, and how we are able to accept ourselves as who we are.
    I don't even know if any of what I've said makes sense, nor if it was helpful.
    But I just want you to know that you are not alone who feels this way.
    I hope you will be able to figure things out, and be content with your feelings/decisions..etc (*hug*)

9. maverick

Thanks, it helps just to see someone else out there who is transgendered but reluctant to transition...I think I could honestly learn to be happy in this body if I can express my gender in other ways, and just be who I really am (rather than pretending to be feminine for the benefit of others).

10. volleyren

I don't have any personal experience with transgenderism, but I do have a good FtM friend who seems to be struggling with "caught in the middle"-ness. Both before and after transitioning, he'd been rather comfortable with his outward identity/orientation/etc. After being on T for nearly a year, though it's certainly improved his outlook in some ways, he's seems more dysphoric in others... and I can't help but notice that at the same time, he's having trouble getting attention relationship-wise, whether as a man or as a woman. He's stuck in the middle.

Your mileage will invariably vary (see what I did there?), but I can certainly see how this would be undesirable. I wish I could help more, but in any case, I do know that being as informed as possible about all of the different options for transitioning, as Jim1454 suggested, really helped my friend tremendously.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

11. maverick

Yeah, I'm having an issue with this. See, I might not like my boobs, but lesbians like boobs, and I have been told I have very good boobs and that the idea of cutting them off is absolutely crazy. And I want girls to like my chest, that's kind of the end goal, so I guess it's okay if they like my chest with boobs on it? But I feel more comfortable binding. It's a conundrum.

It looks completely insane when I write it out actually. :lol:

So...what to do about that? I have no idea.

12. volleyren

All I can say is it's not insane, and you're certainly not alone. Here's hoping you can figure it out. (*hug*)