1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straightest lesbian they know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by roborama, Feb 4, 2011.

1. roborama

alright so ive been getting a lot closer to a predominatly gay group of friends. not that im not close to some older friends but you know; it can be good to have friends that "get you" better.

so here's the issue. i am pretty girly and very unlike the other lesbians i know in just the general way i am. i am good with who i am and dont want to change that, but a couple of my friends will say things like "oh girls will never hit on you" or even "forget" im gay. like ill say something about this girl i like (and it seems everybody knows) and he'll be like oh yeah! its easy to forget you go that way.

i love them to death but it does kind of hurt, i just dont know how to classify that. i really dont think they say things like this to upset me. i dont even know..

does anyone else ever have this problem?

2. ToTheCeilingFan

Kinda. I don't really have any friends who are out (I'm the only even halfway out girl at my school) but I've had that reaction from some of my straight friends. "You're gay? No...you're joking, right? But you don't LOOK gay!" I mean, come on people. Just cause some of us don't have deeper voices or know how to fix motorcycles doesn't mean we aren't lesbian. It just means that we don't fit into a stereotype created by a heteronormative world. I wouldn't worry about it. <3

3. EM68

Well first of all, I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with yourself and don't want change. That is huge. Secondly, are your friends gay? If not then they probably don't know what they are talking about. You are only 16 and in high school. If you go to college you are going to meet a bunch of new people.

I am pretty straight acting myself. I love the Red Sox and Patriots. I work out and not a huge fan of musical. Most people are surprised when they find out I'm gay. I started to attend gatherings with gay people and joined a few dating sites. I met a few people, dated and now have a bf. My point is that the I am very 'straight' acting but yet when I socialized with gay people I was able to meet people and find the love of my life. If you look around and make the effort to meet people you will find someone. :slight_smile:

4. Lotty

I haven't got the same problem, but lots of lesbians are into girly girls. I'm bi, so maybe that's different, but my crush is kinda girly. And I usually think girly girls are cute. So no worries that no girl is gonna hit on you, I don't believe that.

5. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have this problem too. It was with a group of friends who all they would do is laugh whenever I brought any guy up because it's funny or giving me the "oops I forgot you are gay." They would snicker behind my back telling others I'm not really gay. Making fun of all my music, "Oh no one wants to listen to your gay stuff." What did I do. I don't talk to them as much. We still talk but I didn't feel comfortable being in situations where I felt as though no one cared for my emotional well-being at a time where my emotions were everywhere after just coming out to them.

I started hanging out with people who understood me better. Very few of them are gay but the fact that I have heterosexual friends who "Get it" is closure.

I get into arguments with my other friends from time to time because I don't talk to them as much and they are right. I gave them leeway. If the ridicule didn't get better after _____ amount of time then bye. Now, I am at a point where if they don't get it after 9 years then they probably never will and I'm at peace with that.

Its never a bad thing to make more friends, it just gives you an opportunity to be loved even more :slight_smile:

#5 MyDecember, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  6. roborama

thanks guys:slight_smile: im just so frustrated that my GAY friends dont get how much it sucks when people make you feel bad for not fitting into what they are told they "should" be. its backwards isnt it! ill get through

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are loads of other gay girly girls just like you, I think your friends are just refering to a stereotype I think that you will find plenty of girls that pick you up on their gaydar and hit on you.

8. ToTheCeilingFan

I constantly find myself crushing on straight or seemingly straight girls. I wouldn't worry about people not picking up up on their gaydar, since a lot of the time that doesn't really matter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. (*hug*) Yeah, it seems like it should be different with your gay friends, and I definitely think you should say that. Tell them that how they're talking to you is hurtful and divisive when what they should be is inclusive and helpful.

10. roborama

i hate stupid sterotypes; i really hope you guys are right!

11. Me toooooooo, and I have to say, now that I'm not in high school, it seems like most people I go to college with know a little bit more about the fact that not all LGBT people fit their stereotype. That might just be my experience, but you might find that yours changes as your crowd changes as well.

12. Strawberry

I know what you mean! I have a problem like this! I'm the same age as you, and I'm as girly as any straight girl at my school. Sparkly purple eyeshadow makes my life, and I wouldn't cut my long hair even if you paid me. The only masculine interest I really have is video games. I refuse to change to fit in with anyone's ideas of what I should look/act like because I believe in being true to oneself, and this is how I like myself.

Everyone I tell (even my own dad) usually forgets at some point. Sometimes, they don't believe it in the first place. My best friend won't even believe me, which does annoy me a little. There's no mostly-gay group of people at my school because of where I live, but I do feel kind of different than some of the other lesbians I talk to online and stuff... It's kinda lonely, you know? It also seems like people are less likely to take me seriously. Last year, a guy in my art class heard I was gay, and his response was, "Hahahaha. That's hot." :|

And they have no idea what they're talking about when they say no girl is ever gonna hit on you. I'm about to tell you a story about my life here, but it's pretty relevant! There's a girl at my school that I've known for about a year and a half now. I used to not like her very much, but we've gotten a lot closer over the past school year. She is, without question, one of the girliest girls I've ever met. She is also probably the gayest girl I've ever met. She practically blew up my gaydar within a week of meeting her, but she won't talk about it much. Anyway, over the past few months, I've found myself feeling very interested in her, and I will occasionally hit on her. (Here's the best part: Not even she recognizes that I'm gay, even though someone told her last year AND I don't try to hide my interest from her...) So there, they have been proven wrong! It is indeed possible to be a girly girl and be hit on by girls.

Wow, this comment got kinda long. Haha, sorry. I just know exactly what you mean!

13. roborama

oh my goodness Strawberry; youre my new best friend ahaha :slight_smile: thats exactly how i feel.

14. Strawberry

It's frustrating, isn't it? I think the main problem at my school is that the people there don't actually know that they know gay people, so they just rely on stereotypes. There are a few gay people in my school, but none of them are out to more than just a couple of people. There's a gay boy who's younger than me, and he plays football. The girl I mentioned isn't out to anyone at all, but I have always been like 99.999% sure she's one of us.

I have a friend that "doesn't believe in girly lesbians." She just thinks we're all either bisexual or lying. Makes me sooooo mad!

15. roborama

where i am we have like a mini community (i know im really lucky to have this) but there are still people gay or straight that cannot believe that a girl like me could be gay. grrrrr who ever made these rules?

16. I've actually met more gay girls who DON'T fit the stereotype than those who DO. I'm sure there are a lot of both, but the fact that so many don't fit makes me exasperated at best.

17. roborama

ditto.....

18. Strawberry

I have nooo idea how the "rules" got made in the first place, to be honest. But yeah, it's pretty frustrating. People should be allowed to be as feminine or masculine as they want and not have people question them... And people should also get it through their heads that being girly does not equal being attracted to boys! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Aya McCabre

I've had that a lot. Probably the most offensive thing I've heard (and I've heard it a lot) is that I'm 'too pretty to be a lesbian', so all lesbians look like ugly men and I must be bi (and therefore an easy lay for whoever is talking). I'm guessing that being a goth doesn't help... There's a perception (even among gay people) that all goths are (or want to be) bi so that might be playing a part.
    I just get so sick of hearing it from guys. They just refust to believe that there is no chance of me sleeping with them and they try to force me into a box that they think fits what they want me to be. Their box does not exist. 'bisexual whore' is not a category. Wearing makup and dressing like a girl does not mean that I am or ever will be interested in them. I'm so glad I don't get that from my friends.....