1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so alone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Sesshomaru

Lately I've been feeling so alone. I'm not exactly sure what brought it on, maybe seeing/hearing about so many couples, but I'm at the point now where I feel just completely lonely. I've still yet to make any true friends since I moved to the city I live in now about 8 months ago. I'm not exactly good at making friends either since I'm pretty quiet/shy. I used to spend all day on my computer to keep my mind off of everything but even that has finally lost my interest. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'm fully out of the closet so having a boyfriend would be nice but even then I don't really know any gay guys nor do I have any way to meet any (well that I know of). Sitting around for the past 2-3 weeks has gotten me somewhat depressed yet I can't think of any way to fix this. I'm not the type of guy to just walk up and introduce myself to someone and even then I really don't see any teenagers out here and the few that I go to school with are pretty much all on drugs to some extent.

I guess the real point is: How could I make friends/possibly find a bf?

2. maverick

One thing I'll say is, I understand you don't want to hang out with a bunch of druggies, but don't totally discount the "stoner" kids either. In my experience they're some of the most accepting and laid-back people you can find (plus, you don't necessarily have to smoke to hang out with them).

3. I actually agree with this Maverick here. I'm not condoning smoking weed just to make friends, but some of my best friends have been the "stoner" kids.

The other thing is, just because some of those kids appear to be into drugs or talk about drugs doesn't mean they are all druggies. Some kids are all talk and when asked in private surveys, most teens don't do drugs.

4. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well you live in CA. I am sure there are many gay youth groups over there. Why not go to one of their meeting and see what happens?

5. maverick

You could also just seek out clubs based on things you're interested in - anime, video games, movies, sports, rock climbing, whatever. You'll meet people by osmosis. :icon_wink

6. starfish

+1 on this. I've had quite a few "stoner" friends over the years. They never did any of the hard stuff, just pot. I never was pressured to partake. Only once did I ever smoke, didn't care for it and haven't done it since.

Of course I am a pretty weird guy, so my personality fits well with the stoner type.

The important thing is to get out and meet people. Eventually you'll meet some people that you click with.

7. Sesshomaru

I don't know of any gay groups at all in the area I live in which is like maybe 15-20 minutes from Knott's.

As for the people at my school, they all seem pretty much isolated in their own little groups. My school only has about 200-300 kids that attend there, if that. I've yet to see/hear about anyone there being just a "stoner" either. Nearly every person there I've seen has turned out to be a "tweaker" or on far worse drugs than just weed. With all of them always hanging out at their own little area it'd be awkward to just walk up to a crowd of guys and introduce myself.

8. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

I don't know exactly what to tell you in that position, but there are a lot of people who are lonely. I know saying that doesn't help any, but I do know that sometimes it is really hard for me to feel like getting up in the morning. I live in China at the moment and go to a school where maybe 100 students go, mostly young and the older ones are almost all asian. There are no foreign guys here that are old enough or gay, and while I could go out and meet other people, most other foreigners here are older and/or involved in the drug trade. In a less-famous city, it is hard to find a foreigner that isn't there for a bad reason. Not that I am adverse to dating Chinese guys, but the cultural element tends to play a big role in the understanding of eachother in the relationship and the expectations of the relationship. I tried once, but in the end it was a futile attempt. I can't really tell you how to fix it as I have no idea how I am supposed to fix my situation besides make the best of it. For example, I try to do other things besides focus on my emotions because I cannot do much about them right now. I know it's hard when you are shy or not outgoing, but it sounds like there is not much you can do unless you open up to your environment and the people in it more. Your environment may be limited, but it is only as limited as your willpower to bend your environment to your will. As humans, that is our power; to change environment to our needs.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>As for the people at my school, they all seem pretty much isolated in their own little groups.

But the thing is - they weren't born into those groups. At one point, they didn't know each other. Something brought them together. Somebody walked up and said something, somebody said something back, and away they went. You can do the same thing. :slight_smile:

Lex